Old 01-23-2022, 02:49 AM
Par Member

Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Feeling the fingers of winter closing in around here too, finally getting night time drops into the minus's and the occasional snowfall"warning". Haven't seen any snow yet but it's mighty close. I kinda feel like we're a month ahead of schedule. Time to put away the X comets, I probably won't get a chance to throw the scorpion I recently acquired for the next 3-4 months haha.

Played another hidden super short course here on Saturday.. Lots of fun.. Heavily wooded and short. Nice to try something new. Going to have to clean up the yard and prepare for the white fun!

Nothing else to report
A bit of a hiatus form playing. Was in Ontario over Christmas holidays to visit the siblings. Didn't bring the discs with me as there was only one course I could see within a reasonable distance. I missed a stretch of sub -20 temperatures in Calgary during that 2 week period, so didn't have a chance to test out some heated socks haha.

Anyway, temperatures are now bouncing between negatives and positives over the day cycle, which means plenty of ice here. The popular courses will have icy tee areas and trafficked fairways. Micro-fibre towels love to stick to ice, so if you ahve unsure footing use one to shore it up. Plenty of ice/hard pack disc action can both work for you, if you're smart, or cause damage.

Got some MRI results on my right knee back last month which have me mulling over a switch to lefty (damage largely done by 2 soccer injuries spaced 15 years apart). For longevity in the sport may be prudent. A lot of the courses here have lefty friendly aspects, but taking multiple steps backwards in throwing at first is giong to be frustrating if I do. Was looking to start competing in tournaments this year.

A couple hours from Calgary in Lethbridge, I saw that they had barely any of the white stuff on a course. Jealous. We have a big back yard here.

Random thoughts.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-07-2022, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,813 Times in 922 Posts

Going to be finishing up a winter league this weekend and it looks like there’s a Canadian signed up. If he doesn’t have anyone to card up with I’ll invite him to play with me. People from Canada just seem so nice.

Looks like he has been touring around a fair amount as his last several tournaments have been in Oregon, Arizona, and Texas.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,387 Times in 1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Going to be finishing up a winter league this weekend and it looks like there’s a Canadian signed up. If he doesn’t have anyone to card up with I’ll invite him to play with me. People from Canada just seem so nice.

Looks like he has been touring around a fair amount as his last several tournaments have been in Oregon, Arizona, and Texas.
Yeah we're not bad bunch, any idea who the Canadian is? Just watch out if he's drinking Canadian beer. Haha we love catching Americans unaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruisedOoze View Post
Got some MRI results on my right knee back last month which have me mulling over a switch to lefty (damage largely done by 2 soccer injuries spaced 15 years apart). For longevity in the sport may be prudent. A lot of the courses here have lefty friendly aspects, but taking multiple steps backwards in throwing at first is giong to be frustrating if I do. Was looking to start competing in tournaments this year.

A couple hours from Calgary in Lethbridge, I saw that they had barely any of the white stuff on a course. Jealous. We have a big back yard here.

Random thoughts.
Well I don't know how your forehand is but I developed mine with all the damage to my front left leg (lhbh). I find its a lot easier to get distance without pain. Especially if I'm just lumping it on those long holes.

You might as well started getting a little practice in wronghanded too, it definitely sucks but it's nice to work the other side a bit, get a few trick shots.. Ha, crap I had to throw a pie (turboputt) this weekend. I missed.

In some ways it's nice because you can train with much more information than you had when you learned with your dominant hand
Old 02-07-2022, 09:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,813 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Yeah we're not bad bunch, any idea who the Canadian is?
Just some guy. Plays in the age protected divisions and has a PDGA number from 2020 or 2021.

If he ends up playing on my card and seems good natured I’m looking forward to saying “nice shot, eh?”
Old 05-01-2022, 12:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Just want to throw a shout out to Johnny F B... if you are on the FB pages you've seen his awesome dye work.. Great person, great discgolfer, overseas right now supporting the boys. And playing Discgolf all over Europe! Makes me want to Go Navy!!!

A little jealous his R and R!!!

Saw the Cambell River layout got approved for the BC open, temp course in a park.

Tourney over here is happening for real, first time in last 2 yrs.. Better brush up. Doubles on Pender is looking like a temp layout at the school. Always fired up about a freshy!

Old 05-01-2022, 07:46 AM

Courses Played: 23
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

Relentless precipitation here, some overland flooding, and all the courses are soup. Caddied for a friend a couple weeks ago and wore rubber boots.

Tourney in 2 weeks at a course in a valley, so I guess we’ll see if it starts to drain and dry up before then.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeYeti View Post
Relentless precipitation here, some overland flooding, and all the courses are soup. Caddied for a friend a couple weeks ago and wore rubber boots.

Tourney in 2 weeks at a course in a valley, so I guess we’ll see if it starts to drain and dry up before then.
Yikes man, that's not fun to disc in.. You in Langley or the Fraser Valley? I heard Passive Park is full of water. I hope it dry out for you in time

Old 05-01-2022, 03:21 PM

Not BC. In the drain basin of the prairies, southern MB.

Impatience is kicking in with some peeps, as there’s a group of friends out now playing in rubber boots and 60-80 km/hr winds. And it’s been cold and raining for days. May not sound like such a big deal, but the ground is still frozen so the water has no where to go.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:58 PM

About half the tourney course is down there somewhere. That water’s around 10 ft. deep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1A9A26B-4678-45CA-9A4F-6CB50A42007B.jpg (94.1 KB, 13 views)

Old 05-01-2022, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeYeti View Post
About half the tourney course is down there somewhere. That water’s around 10 ft. deep.
I'd give you a thumbs down if there was one haha. Crazy man!!!

Does the freezing screw up the baskets?

Your buddies are hardcore desperate for some spring throwing! That was a gross snowstorm that blew through there the other week. No wonder Disc Republic isn't moving much inventory right now.

... I'd send you a pic of it out here in BC but I will just let you imagine...

The rain let up late yesterday so we (dog and me) did 14 holes. Looks like the wind is picking up and more rain is coming, time to take him out again and hit the hot tub before it's too wet.