Old 05-28-2020, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,942 Times in 4,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
Great stuff as always, but I think you missed an opportunity with the soundtrack:

Whoa, that's pretty wild, but wrong rhythm.
Now I know where this came from:
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-29-2020, 07:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 876 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
Great stuff as always, but I think you missed an opportunity with the soundtrack:

Bruford looks like an old school, late 80's golfer.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:35 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Okay, so I've seen this elephant drill a bit now and I'm confused on what it's supposed to teach? It appears to me that it sort of teaches weight transfer but the overall arc of the arm with throwing the disc appears counterproductive.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Okay, so I've seen this elephant drill a bit now and I'm confused on what it's supposed to teach? It appears to me that it sort of teaches weight transfer but the overall arc of the arm with throwing the disc appears counterproductive.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:55 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post

I guess whatever floats one's boat. Doesn't seem very efficient and it doesn't follow a power flight path of acceleration.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I guess whatever floats one's boat. Doesn't seem very efficient and it doesn't follow a power flight path of acceleration.
You think pendulums are inefficient?
Old 08-06-2020, 02:17 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You think pendulums are inefficient?
So I have that kind of wide narrow wide delivery and that creates kind of a pendulum effect but it's linear to the direction it is accelerating into release. The problem with the round the click pendulum is that it puts the arm on an arc that's not driving the disc straight into release. That's not efficient. Almost every pro doesn't throw pendulum style. Plus, it promotes that rounding effect.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 960 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
it doesn't follow a power flight path of acceleration.
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
So I have that kind of wide narrow wide delivery
Find someone to take a video and help you post it if you don't know how. What you feel you are doing and what you actually are doing may not match.

Quote:
Almost every pro doesn't throw pendulum style. Plus, it promotes that rounding effect.
Focus on the concept. Watch more throws (google search for "lead card driving disc golf") and watch the upper arm and shoulder angles. Learn what rounding actually means.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-06-2020, 09:26 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
What do you mean by this?

Find someone to take a video and help you post it if you don't know how. What you feel you are doing and what you actually are doing may not match.

Focus on the concept. Watch more throws (google search for "lead card driving disc golf") and watch the upper arm and shoulder angles. Learn what rounding actually means.
Time has proven the power and distance in a disc throw comes from uncoiling the body and reaching relatively straight back and then bringing that disc on a relatively straight line into its release. That's what I mean by that power flight path.
This is wide, narrow, wide. Also wide rail. My throw is similar in starting out wide then bringing it in close. This helps me feel the weight of the disc as it pendulum from wide into narrow.
https://youtu.be/2NNjW2dHoj8

That motion you are speaking of promotes rounding because you are telling your arm to start accelerating from the reach back, in that same circular arc instead of from the power pocket and straight forward. 98 percent of pros don't throw like that.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 960 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Time has proven the power and distance in a disc throw comes from uncoiling the body and reaching relatively straight back and then bringing that disc on a relatively straight line into its release. That's what I mean by that power flight path.
This is wide, narrow, wide. Also wide rail. My throw is similar in starting out wide then bringing it in close. This helps me feel the weight of the disc as it pendulum from wide into narrow.
https://youtu.be/2NNjW2dHoj8

That motion you are speaking of promotes rounding because you are telling your arm to start accelerating from the reach back, in that same circular arc instead of from the power pocket and straight forward. 98 percent of pros don't throw like that.
Are you saying a continuous relatively straight line from reachback to release?

Again, focus on the concepts. No one throws with exactly the motions in the various drills. They are meant to help feel various parts of the throw that one might be having trouble feeling.

For example, elephant walk drill to get down the timing of swinging once you are on the leg you are swinging into.

Pendulum for various things; when you get it right (especially along with the concept behind the elephant drill) it will actually decrease rounding by keeping the front shoulder from collapsing. It also helps to get more of the free flowing swinging feel rather than the mechanical robotic throw that can come from trying to "glue together" various parts of the throw. Gets you swinging rather than dragging.

Once you figure out how the pendulum fits in, when you watch all those pros throwing again you will see it.

This thread has a lot that should help: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134415

Niced: (1)