Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 01-05-2022, 08:10 AM
Par Member

Niced 108 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
For both Ricky and Paul, they do “enough” social media to keep fans appetite wet. Top level okay is their focus.
Paul seems to have some reservations when it comes to what type of content he wants to do. He really doesnt need to do be in "can disc golf be played in roller skates?!!!" content for contents sake videos. Doing a boring driving from KC to Emporia video would get as many views and take a lot less effort.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-05-2022, 08:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 29
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 460 Times in 194 Posts

DD marketing/videos have always had an annoying tone or have been cringe worthy. But that helicopter and song choice took it to a whole new level. I fully expect McBeth on a Yacht when he re-ups his 10 year contract to beat Ricky’s now matched payday.

But maybe this is what resonates with the newest generation (or pandemic) of disc golf fans? I did see a number of comments like “this announcement brought tears to my eyes”… etc.

This marketing push for Kona and Ricky feels like it’s trying to be something it’s not (or disc golf is not).

Old 01-05-2022, 08:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8,283 Times in 2,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Thats asking quite a lot. How do you assume someone from abroad has the same chance to participate as fully in the pro tour as someone living in the US?
No, I think living abroad obviously presents challenges. Currently, the DGPT is a US based professional tour.

My point was simply, that there are considerable ancillary challenges that full time touring present. The grind of touring, traveling, time management, being away from home, family and friends, money management, weather, shopping, public appearances, playing, practicing...all become part of the equation. I think all of this has an opportunity to impact performance. To simply extrapolate success in a handful of tournaments over a couple years could provide a skewed result. I also think the exclusive level of competition week in and week out can have an impact on results and rating. Maybe not.

I am excited to see, if some of the top level FPO performers can come over and show the world, that they indeed can not only apply their obvious skill, but hold up to the rigors of a full time touring pro. I am hoping COVID allows it and that they have the various support systems in place, to allow for the additional difficulties of doing all this overseas.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:36 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Population sizes aside, what’s the size of the DG audience they are selling to? How many discs sell in the EU versus the North America?
Latitude 64 had 13.7 million in revenue in 2020. That is a lot of discs and only 1 company.

https://www.dnb.com/business-directo...20sales%20(USD).

Niced: (2)
Old 01-05-2022, 08:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,484 Times in 847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
Latitude 64 had 13.7 million in revenue in 2020. That is a lot of discs and only 1 company.

https://www.dnb.com/business-directo...20sales%20(USD).
I kinda think this is Innova’s plan. Shed pros and bank more cash for a while. Worked for Trilogy.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:40 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 412 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Sorry for the 4 posts but this place is cooking right now. (Apart from the 2 people trying to prove something to strangers online)

I am acutely aware what my own meager sponsorship hinges on. It is NOT my skills of throwing the disc per se or subsequent success in events thereof, that I can admit straight up.

Also, even though it has improved some, I am still not much impressed by Rickys social media presence. But then again, I got to thinking, is Paul's either, anymore?

I remember watching his vlog way back but there's not too much content out there nowadays, is there? Some posts on IG when some elite event unfolds, but thats about it. For sure, he more than makes it up for it being on coverage and podiums but Ricky does as much of that as he does, does he not?
It seems that Paul does most of his content through the Foundation YouTube channel these days, with Hanna doing filming/editing. There is some pretty cool stuff from his new course and different challenges with the Foundation crew.

I wonder how much of that will change now that his involvement with Foundation has changed.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-05-2022, 08:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 87
Niced 71 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
It seems that Paul does most of his content through the Foundation YouTube channel these days, with Hanna doing filming/editing. There is some pretty cool stuff from his new course and different challenges with the Foundation crew.

I wonder how much of that will change now that his involvement with Foundation has changed.
He has participated in Foundation videos but he has his own channel that he posts videos on weekly

Old 01-05-2022, 08:49 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
He has participated in Foundation videos but he has his own channel that he posts videos on weekly
Thanks, I will have to check it out. From what I have seen, his content is looking light years ahead of where it was a few years ago. He definitely seems to have embraced social media.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by foxdawg10; 01-05-2022 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-05-2022, 08:53 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
DD marketing/videos have always had an annoying tone or have been cringe worthy. But that helicopter and song choice took it to a whole new level. I fully expect McBeth on a Yacht when he re-ups his 10 year contract to beat Ricky’s now matched payday.

But maybe this is what resonates with the newest generation (or pandemic) of disc golf fans? I did see a number of comments like “this announcement brought tears to my eyes”… etc.

This marketing push for Kona and Ricky feels like it’s trying to be something it’s not (or disc golf is not).
This was my feeling as well. They seemed very focused on making a splash and making the brand relevant again.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,840 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
Thanks, I will have to check it out. From what I have seen, his content is looking light years ahead of where it was a few years ago. He definitely seems to have embraced social media.
Hannah has a big part of that, her editing and comentary is really good