Old 01-14-2022, 05:59 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 710 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
How old? I guess if they are very young and can't handle a 130 gram disc. You can even find discs lighter then that.

The point I guess is that I don't really see the need. I helped kids from the age of 5 start and play. I don't think finding the right weight and mold was ever a problem (light, understable/shallow putters and mids).

Of course now it's harder to find discs, but wether they are being produced or not I don't see a problem with the width regulations. Smaller discs are better for high power players.
Any kid *can* play disc golf with any disc. I just happen to think that a kid will get a much better flight out of a smaller diameter disc. My kids *can* throw Rocs but the throw looks slow and wobbly. Kids can throw a smaller diameter disc with more spin giving it the ideal flight we as adults want in our own drives (I am guessing seeing that there are no 18 cm beveled edge discs to experiment with).
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2022, 06:07 PM
Banned

Niced 508 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Any kid *can* play disc golf with any disc. I just happen to think that a kid will get a much better flight out of a smaller diameter disc. My kids *can* throw Rocs but the throw looks slow and wobbly. Kids can throw a smaller diameter disc with more spin giving it the ideal flight we as adults want in our own drives (I am guessing seeing that there are no 18 cm beveled edge discs to experiment with).
I'm not convinced diameter is an issue unless you are simply wanting the discs to be lighter for 5 year olds.

Midranges are nearly always larger diameter then Putters and they go further. Partly because of a slightly sharper rim, but also because of glide.

I doubt most kids would see a difference from a 150 gram DX Stingray or Mirage and this untested smaller disc, I think it would be more squirrelly and less have less glide. Get a baseline lightweight narrow rim midrange and putter like those I mentioned. Even the Pearl you listed could be replaced by something even lighter and understable.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:26 PM
Eagle Member

I have tried discs down to 110g with my kids, and they actually throw the light stuff worse. I truly believe a smaller diameter disc is the ticket. The only thing to do now is pay for a disc mold and bribe the PDGA to approve my hair brained scheme.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have tried discs down to 110g with my kids, and they actually throw the light stuff worse. I truly believe a smaller diameter disc is the ticket. The only thing to do now is pay for a disc mold and bribe the PDGA to approve my hair brained scheme.
It'd be way cheaper to create a 3D printed prototype to test. Good luck convincing the PDGA though. I'm fairly certain they would think like me and others and think you are simply look for a solution to really a non-issue.

Then of course the baskets won't work. So now you have to make new baskets or modify current ones.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:42 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
It'd be way cheaper to create a 3D printed prototype to test. Good luck convincing the PDGA though. I'm fairly certain they would think like me and others and think you are simply look for a solution to really a non-issue.

Then of course the baskets won't work. So now you have to make new baskets or modify current ones.
Arent you the king of non-issue guys?? If I cant win you over Im out.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Arent you the king of non-issue guys?? If I cant win you over Im out.
Everyone isn't demanding to make smaller discs though.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 130
Niced 8,369 Times in 3,017 Posts

When talking about juniors/kids, it would help to not lump them all together.

There are 1000-rated juniors in my state. Many teen boys, and some pre-teen boys, are going to be fine with standard discs.

It's quite a different matter when considering 7-year-olds.

My next-door nephew is now 14, but I've watched him throw since he was 3. He got pretty good with those "big minis", so maybe there's something to diameter and/or rim width, for smaller hands. He also started with superlight discs -- say, 120g -- and moved up weights as he grew.

One potential problem with smaller-diameter discs, would be the question of whether it would be worthwhile for manufacturers to make enough of them.

Ultimately, I'd question whether a requirement, or different standards, would be justified; perhaps it's enough to allow players to throw lighter discs, or not, as they see fit.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:43 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Everyone isn't demanding to make smaller discs though.
You have that silent majority backing your smaller baskets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
When talking about juniors/kids, it would help to not lump them all together.

There are 1000-rated juniors in my state. Many teen boys, and some pre-teen boys, are going to be fine with standard discs.

It's quite a different matter when considering 7-year-olds.

My next-door nephew is now 14, but I've watched him throw since he was 3. He got pretty good with those "big minis", so maybe there's something to diameter and/or rim width, for smaller hands. He also started with superlight discs -- say, 120g -- and moved up weights as he grew.

One potential problem with smaller-diameter discs, would be the question of whether it would be worthwhile for manufacturers to make enough of them.

Ultimately, I'd question whether a requirement, or different standards, would be justified; perhaps it's enough to allow players to throw lighter discs, or not, as they see fit.
Very true. Im not thinking of smaller discs for teenagers, Im thinking for elementary school kids. Discraft bothered to make the mini buzzz and whatnot, so clearly there is some niche market for non PDGA legal discs. I would hope the manufacturers would see the benefits of little kids growing up on their brand and justify the cost of one or two junior diameter discs.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 122
Niced 5,235 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
I would hope the manufacturers would see the benefits of little kids growing up on their brand and justify the cost of one or two junior diameter discs.
What occurs when these smaller discs fall through baskets made for larger discs?

Old 01-15-2022, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
What occurs when these smaller discs fall through baskets made for larger discs?
Count the shot. So that rule would need to change for juniors. And tbh I don’t know why that rule exists in the first place, seems arbitrarily punitive.

I am also curious how often an 18cm disc would fall through. I don’t think it would happen often. It would happen sometimes though.