Old 01-15-2022, 02:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8,293 Times in 2,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Count the shot. So that rule would need to change for juniors. And tbh I don’t know why that rule exists in the first place, seems arbitrarily punitive.

I am also curious how often an 18cm disc would fall through. I don’t think it would happen often. It would happen sometimes though.
New equipment, rule changes for kids? Kids don't need help to have fun. The changes you advocate seem to be for you, not them. If they are not having fun playing disc golf, they will go catch frogs, ride their bikes, kick a ball......
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2022, 03:02 PM
Banned

Niced 508 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
You have that silent majority backing your smaller baskets?

Very true. I’m not thinking of smaller discs for teenagers, I’m thinking for elementary school kids. Discraft bothered to make the mini buzzz and whatnot, so clearly there is some niche market for non PDGA legal discs. I would hope the manufacturers would see the benefits of little kids growing up on their brand and justify the cost of one or two junior diameter discs.
Yeah of course. You didn't see the polls in multiple threads.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:03 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 712 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
New equipment, rule changes for kids? Kids don't need help to have fun. The changes you advocate seem to be for you, not them. If they are not having fun playing disc golf, they will go catch frogs, ride their bikes, kick a ball......
You don’t have kids so why are you even in this discussion? Your lack of interest in children is informing your thoughts on this subject.

Nearly all ball sports have different ball size and materials based on age. I put my daughter into tennis and they used a special training ball that is a different size. Her softball team uses smaller softballs. According to your logic if a 9 year old can’t palm an adult size softball tough luck go catch frogs? Sorry your take is pretty bad.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 718 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
You don’t have kids so why are you even in this discussion? Your lack of interest in children is informing your thoughts on this subject.

Nearly all ball sports have different ball size and materials based on age. I put my daughter into tennis and they used a special training ball that is a different size. Her softball team uses smaller softballs. According to your logic if a 9 year old can’t palm an adult size softball tough luck go catch frogs? Sorry your take is pretty bad.
sorry, not having kids doesn't mean you can't be in the discussion. and frankly, we need more skateboarders and frog catchers than kids in organized sports, IMHO. (parent of two, grandparent of two, teacher of 35 years). a lot of people without kids know more about kids than a lot of parents do. just sayin'.....
Old 01-15-2022, 04:33 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
sorry, not having kids doesn't mean you can't be in the discussion. and frankly, we need more skateboarders and frog catchers than kids in organized sports, IMHO. (parent of two, grandparent of two, teacher of 35 years). a lot of people without kids know more about kids than a lot of parents do. just sayin'.....
I just bought my kids youth sized skateboards. Good thing they were available in youth sizes so the world could get two more skateboarding kids.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

You seem to need, to have your opinion mean more than mine....it doesn't. Changing many things about sports and games, to let all kids excel at them, seems like a bad plan and life lesson. I think there are likely exceptions. Some kids are inherently better at athletic endeavors, than others, and that should be OK. I don't need children to know that. It is my opinion, not supposed to be insightful and you are welcome to a differing opinion. *eyeroll
Old 01-15-2022, 04:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,497 Times in 561 Posts

A 150g DX Stingray is great for a lot of young children, or something along those lines, for those brand new to throwing and with little hands and little amounts of power. It's already PDGA approved, and if the child can throw something further along the stability and weight continuum, those will be too. No rules need to be changed. If you have a young person who isn't capable of throwing a 150g DX Stingray in a forward direction, you certainly wouldn't have them playing a sanctioned event anyway so any talk of rules changes, in my opinion, just aren't necessary.

When my kids were real young, I just took them along to casual rounds at courses that weren't busy. They were welcome to throw just one hole (or just one throw) if they wanted. They could play more than that if they wanted. They were also welcome to go exploring in the woods and leave me to keep playing. Whatever, just come along and have a good time.

My son did this for several years. He caught the Disc Golf bug when he was 10, and now he's a 12-year-old who has a 934-rated sanctioned round under his belt, won an MJ-12 regional tournament, and even beat all 30+ adults shooting the short tees on the last night of league with a score that was 950 rated at the last event there. He started out throwing stuff like 150g DX Stingrays and 150g Aviars for five minutes or less before it was past his attention span. It's okay!

Niced: (2)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:36 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
You seem to need, to have your opinion mean more than mine....it doesn't. Changing many things about sports and games, to let all kids excel at them, seems like a bad plan and life lesson. I think there are likely exceptions. Some kids are inherently better at athletic endeavors, than others, and that should be OK. I don't need children to know that. It is my opinion, not supposed to be insightful and you are welcome to a differing opinion. *eyeroll
My opinion does mean more than yours, because unlike you I am not here as a pundit. I am here as a parent of young children. I have tried to give my children full diameter discs and the result is sub optimal both in performance and how it produces interest in the game. I have given discs to other people’s children with the same result.

My request is that disc golf be more accommodating to children. This is not my desire as a disc golfer, it is my request as a parent with money to spend on youth sports. No, I don’t care what your opinion as an elderly childless man is about what kids should be forced to throw in order to build character. The alternative is that my parent dollars and my kids time gets spent at one of the other dozens of sporting opportunities that actually do cater to children.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 130
Niced 8,399 Times in 3,027 Posts

Maybe.

But currently, younger kids play with the same size discs, but can play with much lighter ones (lightest I've seen was 95g). They throw at the same size targets, but at the juniors tournaments I've seen, much shorter holes.

Is that enough, or do they need smaller diameters too? I don't know. I've seen kids doing fine with those, and am not sure they'd do much better, or get hooked much more, with smaller discs.

Then there's a chicken/egg question: Are there enough kids playing to justify smaller legal discs? Would there be more kids playing, if the discs were available, thus justifying the change? I don't know, either.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
My opinion does mean more than yours, because unlike you I am not here as a pundit. I am here as a parent of young children. I have tried to give my children full diameter discs and the result is sub optimal both in performance and how it produces interest in the game. I have given discs to other people’s children with the same result.

My request is that disc golf be more accommodating to children. This is not my desire as a disc golfer, it is my request as a parent with money to spend on youth sports. No, I don’t care what your opinion as an elderly childless man is about what kids should be forced to throw in order to build character. The alternative is that my parent dollars and my kids time gets spent at one of the other dozens of sporting opportunities that actually do cater to children.
You pick the sport? You decide how proficient your child should be? You want to decide what is more accommodating to your child? All I hear is about what you want.

Johnny C. is this you?