Old 01-20-2022, 11:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 66 Times in 44 Posts

I've lost 100% of my 7 speeds (1 teebird, 1 stalker) haha

Besides 6.5 (Inspire) rounds up to 7 right?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2022, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,220 Times in 925 Posts

I think 1.7cm rims are going the way of the dodo.

I love speed 7, it's the sweet spot for my arm speed. I can throw a DX Teebird pretty much as far as anything else and the rim is more comfortable and controllable than some of those newer shallow rim flat drivers out there.

Funny, with speed/designation inflation; 9 speeds were once distance drivers, then they became control drivers, now they're fairway drivers. Some companies list 2-2.1cm drivers as fairways now.

Most chuckers out there can't get a 7 speed out past 250ft, yet 9 speed is what's hyped. Perceived distance sells better than actual distance.

I'm in the process of building a bag of lesser known company discs just for fun, I can't find anything to replace an Eagle.

What ever works I guess, but I love the speed 7ish discs.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-21-2022, 09:05 AM

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 42 Times in 19 Posts

I removed a lot of speeds from bag a couple years back, so that I could have multiples of each disc in different wear conditions, and so I would have an immediate replacement if I lost one. Around me there are rarely holes where I need anything more than a speed 7 disc for a BH drive (I use very different discs for BH and FH), but still keep two Shrykes in my bag for the few times I feel like I need them.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 283 Times in 133 Posts

i've noticed this happen to a lot of players who have been playing longer.

they built enough muscle memory with their speed 7 fairway drivers that they can now just throw speed 9 stuff for fairway duties and reap the benefits of faster disc speed/more overstability

it happened to me for a while. i had enough seasoned PD's that i didn't really throw my FD's much. But then I'd throw the FD and kind of fall in love with it again and start to not bag my super seasoned PD's and keep the overstable PD.

it really depends but what I did notice is a lot of players doing the same thing after playing for a long time because they have so much experience throwing the speed 7 stuff that you can just slot in a slightly faster disc and gain more distance/control. from there you just throw midranges where you once threw speed 7 stuff (like on straight tight fairways).

Niced: (1)
Old 01-21-2022, 09:58 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 300 Times in 164 Posts

I don't bag any 7s. I throw 5 speeds for mids, and 9 speeds for fairways. Frankly, I could probably throw a 7 speed and a 9 speed the same distance, so I could just as easily eliminate 9 speeds (I just started with 9s as my distance drivers, so got comfortable with them).

I also have fairly big hands, so I like a wider rimmed disc. They just felt better. I'm sure some part of it had to do with initially researching discs and trying to see what the most popular fairway drivers were...and the names that kept coming up were things like "heat, valkyrie, firebird, raptor"...all 9 speeds.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 334 Times in 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
A low ceiling straight shot is one scenario where a Crave or FD comes in handy for sure. Around here there just aren’t many courses that require such a shot.

The other shot that I do like the neutral to understable speed 7 is where you are forced to throw a standstill and its a little too long to standstill a midrange.

Now I’m second guessing myself and maybe I should keep one or two in the bag just in case.
My home course has a lot of low ceiling shots that I threw my Crave almost exclusively on. When the Hex came out, I played a 1 disc round with it just to put it through its motions and found I was able to get the same birdies with it that I was getting with my Crave. The only thing my Crave gave me was better wind resistance. (PP Crave, the new Hokoms handle wind worse than the Hex). It might be worth it for you to try some 5 speeds on those low tunnel shots to decide if you can live without your 7 speeds for those shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
I don't bag any 7s. I throw 5 speeds for mids, and 9 speeds for fairways. Frankly, I could probably throw a 7 speed and a 9 speed the same distance, so I could just as easily eliminate 9 speeds (I just started with 9s as my distance drivers, so got comfortable with them).

I also have fairly big hands, so I like a wider rimmed disc. They just felt better. I'm sure some part of it had to do with initially researching discs and trying to see what the most popular fairway drivers were...and the names that kept coming up were things like "heat, valkyrie, firebird, raptor"...all 9 speeds.
A few years ago I dropped mids and was throwing Envies and Proxies in that spot, then stepping up to Craves and Relays. I found I could power down the 6-7 speeds when needed, but also the Envy goes just about as far as any mid I've thrown. I was still getting my 9 speeds out further, but those were my max distance drivers. So I had 3 speed, 7 speed, 9 speed in my bag. When the Hex came out this year though, I decided to try it out. It flies a lot like the newest run of Craves, and I feel more confident with it. I am considering dropping my Craves, which were my second favorite discs after the Envy, in favor of just keeping the Hex, then stepping up to 9 speeds. Only 7 speed I may keep with be my OS utility Resistor.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:22 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 364 Times in 208 Posts

This is timely for me since I'm about 1 year in and I've been thinking about 7 vs. ~9 speeds. I have spent most of my time with neutral-ish discs, and putters and mids are by far my most used discs since I play shorter rec tees w/ friends most often. It's pretty cold here and trying to avoid major bag changes while I'm spending a lot of time on a form rebuild this "offseason," but it's fun to think about what I might tinker with when it starts to warm up.

I used to bag Undertakers and Insanities more often when I play longer courses, but as my power improves I keep finding that I reach for a Crave, TL, or River for the "past-midrange-distance" and especially tunnel or uphill shots that need relatively neutral, shapeable flights. I don't take many shots where I "club up" to 9-speeds & throw a bit harder to get them up to speed since I'm not confident in that intersection of my shaping ability & power. I tend to just jump up to drivers from 7 speeds when necessary for more distance. I do still always bag a Champ Thunderbird which handles beefy duties.

But after more experience & form changes, I'm wondering what benefits I might get from any added power I can apply to 9 speeds & the flight paths that can be shaped with those discs. I'm just still not sure how more experienced players approach using 9 speed flights vs. powering up on ~7 speed discs on the course & it would be interested to draw out any "advice to new player" thoughts.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:23 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 105 Times in 51 Posts

My mids are the discs that see the least action, and I've tried to leave them out of the bag. But, invariably at some point during a round I wish I had one of them with me. Fuse, Truth, Verdict and Bard.

My bag is built around my 7 speeds: Genius, Maverick, Drift, Explorer and XXX. The one 9 speed that I feel I need to carry is my Pro Thunderbird as it's so reliable in the woods.

Throw in 3 putters and a few high speed drivers and I'm carrying 18 discs. Only 50% over the 12 I'd like to carry.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:38 PM
Banned

Niced 508 Times in 362 Posts

I generally have 7 speed discs in the bag but it does depend on the course. Some courses don't require me to throw a 7 speed so I simply take them out and just throw in a couple extra mids and putters. Most of the time though I will carry 7 and 9 speed discs. I get enough difference in distance, about 20-25 feet or so that it makes it worth carrying them. If I can get 20 feet more dialed in to parking a shot, it's just that much easier to score. So I like the variety. I generally do play about 5 days a week though too, so I'm very aware of the flight and distances of the discs. I'd rather be consistent with my power then change the speed to suit the distance.

I think how much you play and how well you know the discs can play a factor. If I played once a week I know I would certainly struggle not being in tune with the discs as much.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:39 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,035 Times in 1,000 Posts

What courses do you usually play?