Old 01-21-2022, 01:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,487 Times in 849 Posts

Buddy says he plays Red Mountain, Buffalo Ridge and Paseo Vista mostly. He’s in the area several times per year. I, however get a one time, Friday/Saturday experience. I’m his guest (literally using a guest airline pass), so I won’t quibble about courses. I hope no 9-holers or pitch-n-putt.

But I’d sure like to play Vista del Camino and Fountain. <— if I can only play one of those two, which should it be?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2022, 02:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 569
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 189 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Buddy says he plays Red Mountain, Buffalo Ridge and Paseo Vista mostly. Hes in the area several times per year. I, however get a one time, Friday/Saturday experience. Im his guest (literally using a guest airline pass), so I wont quibble about courses. I hope no 9-holers or pitch-n-putt.

But Id sure like to play Vista del Camino and Fountain. < if I can only play one of those two, which should it be?
I'd say Fountain because it's iconic, but Vista is probably the better course in a vacuum.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-21-2022, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,813 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
But Id sure like to play Vista del Camino and Fountain. &lt; if I can only play one of those two, which should it be?
Tough call. Vista in the normal layout isnt a tough course. When you watch the tournaments they are usually playing a longer layout with more OB. Fountain has longer holes but it seems like most of the longer holes kind of play downhill making them seem shorter. I felt like Vista from a righty backhand perspective felt like you were throwing almost identical shots from every tee.

I guess if I had to pick one of them to play Id probably go with Fountain Hills. Its a little more scenic and the fountain is cool.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-21-2022, 03:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

Fountain Park DGC is a lot of RHBH hyzers. Watch for the fountain going off at the top of the hour (if it's not too windy); it runs for 15 minutes and creates its own wind. Don't breathe or taste the spray - trust me; it leaves green spots on cars when the wind is enough to spread the spray, but not enough to shut it down.

Vista del Camino - aka The Shelly Sharpe Memorial DGC - there are a few holes that are RHFH. Some water carry....but in most cases, a bad shot isn't very bad. It's a fairly open course.

Paseo Vista is a fun course with two mandos where you have to throw through concrete cylinders (type used for large culverts/drainage areas). There's photos on this site that show the two mandos.
https://udisc.com/courses/paseo-vist...tion-area-UpNi

Red Mountain has two courses...South is the easier of the two....bad shots aren't too bad. North is the longest/hardest....bad shots are definitely penalized. uDisc helps on North, but playing with someone who knows the course is preferred.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 37 Times in 11 Posts

Played discO today. Fun course only used a driver on 4 holes. Tight ob on all holes. This is not a destination course by any means and should be played by out of towners only if location is convenient.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by grube.fresh View Post
Played discO today. Fun course only used a driver on 4 holes. Tight ob on all holes. This is not a destination course by any means and should be played by out of towners only if location is convenient.
Appreciate your insight!
Old 01-22-2022, 07:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 45
Niced 208 Times in 65 Posts

Freedom DGC | Stripe Show GC, Mesa AZ.
Open on first and Last Mondays each month 1pm-6pm
Udisc for details.
https://udisc.com/courses/freedom-dg...e-show-gc-jeEe

Old 01-22-2022, 07:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
Freedom DGC | Stripe Show GC, Mesa AZ.
Open on first and Last Mondays each month 1pm-6pm
Udisc for details.
https://udisc.com/courses/freedom-dg...e-show-gc-jeEe

Dang. I will only be in town on a Friday and part of Sat.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,296 Times in 723 Posts

Kind of late for this, but....one other difference between Vista del Camino (AKA Shelly Sharpe Memorial) and Fountain Park is the park-goers. Vista has less tourists, so the park-goers are more aware of disc golf. You have people crossing the fairway going to or from their community...but for the most part no one 'blocks' a fairway or sits by baskets. Fountain Park, on the other hand, has tourists that come to see the fountain. You will commonly see people walking the fairways and even sitting by baskets - sometimes having a picnic right by a basket. That's the main reason I have never played Fountain and prefer Vista.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Kind of late for this, but....one other difference between Vista del Camino (AKA Shelly Sharpe Memorial) and Fountain Park is the park-goers. Vista has less tourists, so the park-goers are more aware of disc golf. You have people crossing the fairway going to or from their community...but for the most part no one 'blocks' a fairway or sits by baskets. Fountain Park, on the other hand, has tourists that come to see the fountain. You will commonly see people walking the fairways and even sitting by baskets - sometimes having a picnic right by a basket. That's the main reason I have never played Fountain and prefer Vista.
Valid point, and I agree. There's more frequent and frustrating pedestrian traffic at Fountain Hills. We went a few times early in the morning during the summertime when it was much better. This time of year it's pretty crowded at all times. Still a great course and well worth playing.