Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

View Poll Results: Which state do you move to for DG?
North Carolina 41 44.57%
Oregon 6 6.52%
Texas 15 16.30%
Kentucky 10 10.87%
Michigan 6 6.52%
California 2 2.17%
Illinois 2 2.17%
Minnesota 5 5.43%
Wisconsin 2 2.17%
Iowa 3 3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 285
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

Pennsylvania should have made the list for sure. If you look at the top 50 courses on this site (10+ reviews, which was the standard for last year's site list), here's the breakdown

PA - 6
TX - 6
KY - 5
CA - 5
NC - 3
OR - 3
CO, TN, MI, MN, MO, NY, WI - 2 each
GA, IL, MA, MD, MS, IN, VA, WV - 1 each

TX, KY, CA, NC and OR all made the poll. Of the states with two top courses, MI, MN and WI made the poll. Of the states with one top course, only IL made the poll... For some reason, Iowa is on the poll, despite lacking any top courses.

PA, which is tied with TX for highest number of top-ranked courses misses the poll entirely. And having played all of the top TX courses, and most of the top PA courses, IMHO, the top courses in PA are far better in almost every way than the top courses in TX, or many of the other states listed. Leaving off PA is just a sad injustice.

Personally, I'm voting for NC, because of a combination of good weather, great local clubs, tons of high-level tournaments, and proximity to other great states/courses within roadtrip distance. Charlotte is disc golf mecca as far as I am concerned. And the home grown tour there is another huge bonus, and a rare find. NC wins my vote, hands down, but leaving PA off the list is an insult to all the top-ranked courses and great disc golf folks in that state.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 387
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 76 Times in 22 Posts

If it was to play in PDGA sanctioned tournaments, I would suggest upstate SC (Anderson or Greenville). I did a study a few years back and was amazed at how few weekends of the year there were not tournaments within a 3 hour radius (Atlanta, Asheville, Augusta/IDGC, Charleston SC, Charlotte/Rock Hill, Columbia, Greenville SC, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/Burlington, Johnson City/Bristol TN, Knoxville, Yadkinville/Wilkesboro). Raleigh is just outside that radius.

If you are willing to travel that far for casual play weekend trips, those areas offer a very high number of excellent courses with a ton of variety. This area of the SE has got to take the cake as far as quantity and quality. Weather is hot and humid in the summer, but you can play all year. I have not been to the Pacific Northwest yet (I am dying to), but I do not think another 3 hour radius area can beat upstate SC.

Last edited by Dave242; 05-26-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

Based on proximity I feel even stronger that Ohio is a great place to be for disc golf. Aside from the quality courses in state, I'm a relatively short drive to the courses in Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and West Virginia.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 387
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 76 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Mutt View Post
Based on proximity I feel even stronger that Ohio is a great place to be for disc golf. Aside from the quality courses in state, I'm a relatively short drive to the courses in Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and West Virginia.
Sorry - gotta DQ you. The thread is about if you had to move somewhere and you already live in Capital Oh H Ten.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

lol fair enough
Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.2
Courses Played: 130
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

if i had to move from colorado it would be to florida. just for the fact that i could play almost every day and weather would almost never be an issue.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 12
Niced 64 Times in 31 Posts

Spain or Portugal. Food, wine and an old cultural scene. I'd find the courses or make a few. Its a big round planet and limiting it to the lower 48 states seems a bit.....limiting. But if you gotta have me vote.....I am for the U.P. in Michigan. Bugs and long winters keep the ams out and the trout streams are an alternative to dg. Every trout stream is like a disc golf course.....some better than others and some fantastic for beauty and challenges. Hanging a fly cast right where it needs to be is just as good as an ace. Then the trout takes it. Then I take it home and eat it. Yum. Can't eat plastic.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 12
Niced 64 Times in 31 Posts

New Zealand or Chile would be options.....
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 191
Niced 2,898 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t i m View Post
Pennsylvania should have made the list for sure. If you look at the top 50 courses on this site (10+ reviews, which was the standard for last year's site list), here's the breakdown

PA - 6
TX - 6
KY - 5
CA - 5
NC - 3
OR - 3
CO, TN, MI, MN, MO, NY, WI - 2 each
GA, IL, MA, MD, MS, IN, VA, WV - 1 each

TX, KY, CA, NC and OR all made the poll. Of the states with two top courses, MI, MN and WI made the poll. Of the states with one top course, only IL made the poll... For some reason, Iowa is on the poll, despite lacking any top courses.

PA, which is tied with TX for highest number of top-ranked courses misses the poll entirely. And having played all of the top TX courses, and most of the top PA courses, IMHO, the top courses in PA are far better in almost every way than the top courses in TX, or many of the other states listed. Leaving off PA is just a sad injustice.

Personally, I'm voting for NC, because of a combination of good weather, great local clubs, tons of high-level tournaments, and proximity to other great states/courses within roadtrip distance. Charlotte is disc golf mecca as far as I am concerned. And the home grown tour there is another huge bonus, and a rare find. NC wins my vote, hands down, but leaving PA off the list is an insult to all the top-ranked courses and great disc golf folks in that state.
Sorry t i m, but I didn't conduct my poll that way, I gave way more weight to quantity over quality since quality is wee bit harder to measure. Between PA and IA, PA has 46 courses rated 2-5, to IA's 63, 8 rated 4-5 to IA's impressive 17. Are those numbers inflated? I don't know. I just report what I see. You keep taking it personal I'm gonna start calling you Gangstarr.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 42
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Oregon and just played Pier Park this weekend and loved it. I wouldn't want to move for any reason, but if I had to, I think I would move to either PA or TX. I've heard a lot of good things about the courses in these states as well as the fact that there are a ton of them.