#11  
Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 14,413
Niced 2,249 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanchette View Post
It’s not formally open yet, but yes, there is a new private course in Boone. I’ve played it once, and fell in love with it immediately. Great elevation, streams, lake, etc. I’m sure it will be very popular very soon. But I’m not posting the name.
Any ideas if it will be open by the last weekend of March, the OP's vacation? I've seen a few pictures, and a few comments, and I assume he should put it on his itinerary, if it is.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2018, 09:10 AM
sjberry2017's Avatar
sjberry2017 sjberry2017 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tennessee
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,237
Niced 198 Times in 131 Posts
Default

I will add that Grand Central has 5 brand new holes and a sixth somewhat new hole (hole 2 tee to hole 3 long basket) as part of a new layout, so it may be worth stopping there again. The IDGC is also a good move as well, and Aiken County has Langley Pond just across the river, although some of the holes may still be closed when you get out there
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2018, 02:16 PM
heelboycraig's Avatar
heelboycraig heelboycraig is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 297
Posts: 1,190
Niced 129 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Make sure to throw in some fun, easier courses into your trip. As much fun as IDGC, Stoney Hill, Renny, Nevin, Rolling Pines, etc. are, you're not going to be able to move if that's all you play.

Sprinkle in some fun mid-range courses such as Trails (Anderson, SC) Timmons (Greenville), Earlewood (Columbia), Reedy & Elon Eager Beaver (Charlotte) and Wellspring (Burlington, NC). These are all excellent courses that allow you to challenge other parts of your game without killing your arm & shoulder.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,867
Niced 2,209 Times in 968 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelboycraig View Post
Make sure to throw in some fun, easier courses into your trip. As much fun as IDGC, Stoney Hill, Renny, Nevin, Rolling Pines, etc. are, you're not going to be able to move if that's all you play.

Sprinkle in some fun mid-range courses such as Trails (Anderson, SC) Timmons (Greenville), Earlewood (Columbia), Reedy & Elon Eager Beaver (Charlotte) and Wellspring (Burlington, NC). These are all excellent courses that allow you to challenge other parts of your game without killing your arm & shoulder.
Trails is my jam

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-02-2018, 02:21 PM
markmanchette markmanchette is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 71
Niced 54 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Any ideas if it will be open by the last weekend of March, the OP's vacation? I've seen a few pictures, and a few comments, and I assume he should put it on his itinerary, if it is.

I'll be playing it tomorrow, with the owner, I will ask him his thoughts about a formal opening date. In all likelihood, I strongly believe that a guest would be allowed to visit and play, with a guide being there. I'll report back on Sunday.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-06-2018, 04:13 PM
btimm's Avatar
btimm btimm is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Huntersville, NC
Courses Played: 57
Posts: 21
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Count me in the minority but I found Rolling Pines to be pretty marginal. If it was in Charlotte, I wouldn't play it often, but that's probably more a reflection of how good Charlotte courses are.

If you do end up in Charlotte, Nevin, Hornet's Nest, Renny Gold are all great courses. I'd add in Robert L Smith (RL Smith), as it is really fun to play and will be closed in the near future due to construction.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 PM
toadhopper toadhopper is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Courses Played: 103
Posts: 3
Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Well.....we might never make it back from this trip.

Drive from Cincinnati to Kingsport, TN....

Day #1 - Play Harmon Hills and Sugar Hollow. Drive to Boone, NC area.

Day #2 - Play Ashe County and Rolling Pines.

Day #3 - Drive to Charlotte early. Play Hornet's Nest and Nevin. Drive back to Boone.

Day #4 - Hopefully play the new private course in Boone. Drive home.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:08 PM
46YearOldSlinger's Avatar
46YearOldSlinger 46YearOldSlinger is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh NC
Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 997
Niced 65 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
Count me in the minority but I found Rolling Pines to be pretty marginal. If it was in Charlotte, I wouldn't play it often, but that's probably more a reflection of how good Charlotte courses are.

If you do end up in Charlotte, Nevin, Hornet's Nest, Renny Gold are all great courses. I'd add in Robert L Smith (RL Smith), as it is really fun to play and will be closed in the near future due to construction.
Love RL Smith. Temporarily closed or closed for good?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-14-2018, 03:08 PM
btimm's Avatar
btimm btimm is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Huntersville, NC
Courses Played: 57
Posts: 21
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46YearOldSlinger View Post
Love RL Smith. Temporarily closed or closed for good?
As far as I know, it will be remodeled.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 02-14-2018, 05:30 PM
1978 1978 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charlotte, Nc
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 277
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,874
Niced 149 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46YearOldSlinger View Post
Love RL Smith. Temporarily closed or closed for good?
Remodeled after a 2 summer closure. It should come back better than before with parks committed to mowing parts that were previously untended. You'll see 6 or so new holes or updated holes.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring Break 2018 - FL - Western NC chainedwraith Vacations & Road Trips 17 03-22-2018 08:43 PM
Spring break to Denver! DrewbieDoobieDoo Vacations & Road Trips 4 03-09-2018 04:40 PM
Thrembo going to Miami Beach Friday/Saturday (3/14-3/15) for DG and spring break thrembo Vacations & Road Trips 13 03-29-2014 01:31 AM
DG Winter/Spring break madman1101 General Disc Golf Chat 21 08-01-2012 10:41 PM
Heading to Myrtle Beach for spring break leftyone Vacations & Road Trips 8 10-21-2010 10:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.