#1421  
Old 02-13-2018, 04:15 PM
rayoflight rayoflight is online now
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 51
Niced 25 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
That’s odd. My champ roc flies like a freak beefy DX roc. Very HsS, but straight with a glider hook fade off to the left at the end. It’s overstable for sure, but not drop out of the sky overstable.
Well my Champion Roc isn't stupid OS like a Justice or anything, but even on an anhyzer release it will turn back to the left pretty quickly. That can be useful for certain shots, but it's not really what I was looking for in a midrange when I got it, and given that it's Champion plastic it's not easy for me to beat it to straight either.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1422  
Old 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM
ODRB's Avatar
ODRB ODRB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,935
Niced 873 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoflight View Post
Well my Champion Roc isn't stupid OS like a Justice or anything, but even on an anhyzer release it will turn back to the left pretty quickly. That can be useful for certain shots, but it's not really what I was looking for in a midrange when I got it, and given that it's Champion plastic it's not easy for me to beat it to straight either.
What Roc is it? What year/stamp?
Reply With Quote
  #1423  
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM
thirtydirtybirds thirtydirtybirds is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The cut north of the confluence, MD
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,008
Niced 216 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Mine is a rings roc, it’s definitely got less glide than a DX or KC, but it’s got glide. It flexes out of an anny but not aggressively. I’d say the overstability is most similar to a Q sentinel, not on the gator end of the spectrum. I’m throwing rocs about 280-300 currently.

Admittedly I don’t throw the champ that often. I’ll throw a fresh DX for a left finish most of the time, BUT on those lines where I need straight for 220-240’ then breaking left hard, or throwing a hard high line hyzer that is gonna hold that hyzer and not budge, the champ roc can’t be beat.
Reply With Quote
  #1424  
Old 02-14-2018, 01:53 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,089
Niced 385 Times in 326 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
FYI - I tried tossing a fresh R3 and a probably 6.5/10 DX Rancho in the dryer for an hour. My hypothesis was that if I could artificially knock a significant amount of stability of either of these, I would be satisfied in my quest for a roc that beats into the magic sweet spot quicker.

They came out somewhat scuffed, and it would seem that the R3 in particular had some areas around the rim that had been bonked the requisite amount to bend the PLH down slightly, which is what I was looking for.

Anyway, I took them out to the course and...
no apparent change in flight path. Straight to fade, like a slower, brand new Z buzz essentially. Not anywhere close to the flip up to forward fade I wanted.


I picked up a 171 gram rancho on a whim this weekend, which if I decide to go down the path of a cycle will be a welcome addition. I may also have to try a DX VRoc sometime as it sounds like a pretty legit mold. For now, however, I think I'll skip the rocs and roll with comets plus an overstable bookend.

Try a Shark 3, No dome like a Shark but is more like a beadless low dome to flat ROC in shape. It flies like a more Overstable Buzz but not a true OS Buzz. Only flaw, the Shark 3 only comes in Champion still.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-14-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1425  
Old 03-07-2018, 03:22 PM
brian j's Avatar
brian j brian j is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,153
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Some purdy new Rocs at DGU...

https://store.discgolfunited.com/201...c-pro-roc.html
Reply With Quote
  #1426  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:35 AM
icebat icebat is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 66
Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Anyone have any more info on the 01 remake rocs? Were these all supposed to be board flat? I found one that has a subtle dome and just has the * and weight penned on the back. Any other identifying factors? It's gummy, but not bend in half gummy.
Reply With Quote
  #1427  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:26 PM
dehaas dehaas is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Swansea, IL
Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,916
Niced 121 Times in 60 Posts
Default

I have a couple, the first ones were the dayglow super beef flat and gummy ones. I’ve got a few of the royal blue flat ones also, probably not quite as gummy or beefy but still very nice.

All of those were confirmed remakes...i know they came from dgu. I’ve snagged 2 others locally, another dayglow but low 170s that isn’t as flat and gummy as my other remakes but marked as such. Definitely not your average hot garbage super dome star rancho. The other was a flat white one that isn’t as gummy as my confirmed remakes but just as beefy and not marked like a remake.

From what i gather there wasn’t one giant run that was dubbed the “remake run”. I believe these are ones ran as usdgc star rocs over the years that were probably found and they decided to release them bit by bit as a limited release. The first ones i remember seeing were the dayglows, probably how they got called remakes...similar color and beefy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebat View Post
Anyone have any more info on the 01 remake rocs? Were these all supposed to be board flat? I found one that has a subtle dome and just has the * and weight penned on the back. Any other identifying factors? It's gummy, but not bend in half gummy.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1428  
Old 03-29-2018, 04:54 PM
icebat icebat is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 66
Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Hey, thanks for that info! Any idea what the current going rate on these are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
I have a couple, the first ones were the dayglow super beef flat and gummy ones. I’ve got a few of the royal blue flat ones also, probably not quite as gummy or beefy but still very nice.

All of those were confirmed remakes...i know they came from dgu. I’ve snagged 2 others locally, another dayglow but low 170s that isn’t as flat and gummy as my other remakes but marked as such. Definitely not your average hot garbage super dome star rancho. The other was a flat white one that isn’t as gummy as my confirmed remakes but just as beefy and not marked like a remake.

From what i gather there wasn’t one giant run that was dubbed the “remake run”. I believe these are ones ran as usdgc star rocs over the years that were probably found and they decided to release them bit by bit as a limited release. The first ones i remember seeing were the dayglows, probably how they got called remakes...similar color and beefy.
Reply With Quote
  #1429  
Old 03-29-2018, 05:13 PM
dehaas dehaas is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Swansea, IL
Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,916
Niced 121 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Depends on what you’ve got color wise and stamp wise. The gummy dayglows get more typically because they’re the beefiest, stock stamped ones won’t fetch as much as like an Air Force or big bird stamped ones. Some of the other colors have some swirls to them and might get a few more bucks, or you might get lucky with a color somebody is after. I’ve paid 25 for an 8/10 used one and felt it was a pretty good deal. New you’re looking probably in the 40-50 range maybe a bit more if it’s something a bit more unique.
Reply With Quote
 

  #1430  
Old 03-29-2018, 05:16 PM
Dsharp Dsharp is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North AL
Posts: 44
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I've got a few of the stock stamped ones. Two pinks and a red. Both penned with just a *, pretty flat, and definitely beefy. They are really nice. The pinks I have are pretty swirly. I got them at Lavone Wolfe's shop, and I believe he got them when he visited the DGU warehouse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.