Old 09-21-2018, 08:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 577 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I'm contemplating putting rocs back in my bag in the offseason, at least for a little while.
that thought was banished from my mind last night. Played a round with only Rocs and I couldn't tell you how many times I looked at my bag wanting a comet, probably every midrange and scramble shot...I'll probably always have some Rocs in the stash but don't think I'll be switching back anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 243
Niced 201 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
I just found 3 06 USDGC rocs on the Bay and scooped them up. They are so hard to come by now a days. By far my favorite run of Champ Rocs. Overstable with just enough dome to be glidey but still feel flat in the hand. I have been throwing one for 6-7 years and it's still doesn't want to turn.

I also have a star baby roc that I'm debating whether or not to throw. It's still in the bag, but I feel like those bad boys are meant to fly.
06s are the business. Orange with a Throwback stamp from ODRB was my first experience with a USDGC Roc and I immediately fell in love.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 130
Niced 1,013 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentjacobs View Post
‘06’s are the business. Orange with a Throwback stamp from ODRB was my first experience with a USDGC Roc and I immediately fell in love.
And the dayglo ‘06 Throwback in my bag came from you!

:twomenholdinghands:

Niced: (1)
Old 09-30-2018, 01:02 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 638 Times in 450 Posts

Local PIAS had some sweet DX Rocs tonight, I was sorely tempted. Saw an old sparkle Teebird I couldn’t pass up though.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 25
Niced 155 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentjacobs View Post
06s are the business. Orange with a Throwback stamp from ODRB was my first experience with a USDGC Roc and I immediately fell in love.

Yep, I have an orange one with a few aces on it that is getting very straight. Still no high speed turn, but just long and straight with a very forward finish. I picked up a light orange, a yellow, and a red. I also picked up two orange stars form 2006 that are prime. My favorite by far is a green 2003 USDGC that is super fingerprinty. Followed closely by the 3 08 throwers that I have flattened. I think I'm set in USDGC rocs for quite a while, but I will have my eye out for more orange ones.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

I can't remember who said it, but I agree, the current run of DX Rocs is amazing!

I purchased two pink 180g DX Rocs with the emboss on the under side from Discgolfcenter.com. They are very stiff, stiffer than some KCs I have felt, and very grippy. Nice mild dome and good stability. The only problem I had was over throwing things with them when I was trying to see how much power I can give them. No flip, no turn, nice and straight with that nice slow roc fade. Butter!

On the blunt vs. sharp discussion:
I had to compare every Roc I own with every other one. mostly KCs, some flat glows, some DX and a Star Rancho and Luster San Marino. Most of mine are sharp, but the 30th anniversary San Marino Roc has the blunt nose. Great flier, I haven't noticed anything bad about the bluntness. I guess the worst part is my curiosity, now I have to study the differences.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 119 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscDraft View Post
I can't remember who said it, but I agree, the current run of DX Rocs is amazing!

I purchased two pink 180g DX Rocs with the emboss on the under side from Discgolfcenter.com. They are very stiff, stiffer than some KCs I have felt, and very grippy. Nice mild dome and good stability. The only problem I had was over throwing things with them when I was trying to see how much power I can give them. No flip, no turn, nice and straight with that nice slow roc fade. Butter!

On the blunt vs. sharp discussion:
I had to compare every Roc I own with every other one. mostly KCs, some flat glows, some DX and a Star Rancho and Luster San Marino. Most of mine are sharp, but the 30th anniversary San Marino Roc has the blunt nose. Great flier, I haven't noticed anything bad about the bluntness. I guess the worst part is my curiosity, now I have to study the differences.
Searched for this thread to reiterate exactly this. The current run embossed DX Ranchos are money! Stiff, mild dome without drumbeat, great stability, it's all there. Get 'em while they last folks.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:12 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 231 Times in 166 Posts

So had never thrown any Rocs until I found a Star Rancho Roc recently. I love it. Getting a lot of work, a new favorite.

What is typical pairing or what other mids do you partner it with? I mean is it more Rocs, x comet, a faster more penetrating mid, etc.?

Thanks all
Old 12-01-2018, 02:59 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 283 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
So had never thrown any Rocs until I found a Star Rancho Roc recently. I love it. Getting a lot of work, a new favorite.

What is typical pairing or what other mids do you partner it with? I mean is it more Rocs, x comet, a faster more penetrating mid, etc.?

Thanks all
More Rocs. I carry a Champ Rancho and some DX Rocs for mids. Seems like the typical Roc setup is a premium plastic and a beat KC/DX as bookends, with 1-3 others of various stabilities in between.

Comets also work well; I have used mostly X Comets but also thrown a Z Comet in there as well.

Niced: (2)

Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,125 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post

Thanks all
That's not a normal reaction to the Star Rancho Roc lol...usually it's OMG what is this domey POS?

Niced: (2)