Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-01-2017, 12:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts
Default Get pumped up for a tournament...you prepare...get excited. Then....

you just end up shooting terrible?

Haha this happen to anyone else? I've been a fairly solid player for a handful of years now but nothing was as heartbreaking as my last tournament outing. I was pumped up, excited, felt good, mentally prepared - but wasn't able to get out and play so Physically prepared? I was not.

I had decent Tee shots, left myself putts at birdie....and just failed on all of them. Even missed a few 15-20 footers when I was CTP of the group. It wasn't much else other than Wind, Un-even greens and the big one, NO COMMITMENT. I was putting more to not have a bad lie vs actually MAKING the dang putt.

It was a bit of disappointment. I even had a great drive on one of my final holes, long mild hills windy. I had about a 50 ft upshot slightly uphill with a headwind. I decided to play for the 3 and lay up. I chose a stable speed 4 disc to spin up there. Aaaaaaand, it just hits the dirt right away leaving me with a 25 footer instead of being parked, which I shoulda been.
Of course, miss the putt, just sad, take a 4 on a hole I would hope to have a bid at a 2 on.

There were positives that I can take away. I did hit some 2's, I had a few good drives a few solid putts and played overall OK. But...Anyone else just have a off tournament that doesn't feel right at all (just uncomfortable) despite knowing your skillset and being in game mode?

Where do we go from here?

I just need to play more. I did just have a baby and have only gotten a few rounds over the last 6 weeks. meh
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
There were positives that I can take away. I did hit some 2's, I had a few good drives a few solid putts and played overall OK.
This statement makes it sound like it ended up being a very average day for you. But because it was a tournament where you wanted to play your best, it feels a lot worse than it really is. You're dwelling too much on the negative.

There are two strategies I use to try to combat this:

First, after every round I play, I make a conscious effort to mentally replay the highlights and pick out one or two throws of the round. This helps to put me in a more positive mindset and not get too down on myself. Even my worst rounds have a highlight or two that I can think back on fondly. By doing this, you can help put the disappointing round behind you so that you're ready to go for the next tournament.

Second, I go into every tournament round expecting to make mistakes. It's very easy to think ahead about how well you can play if everything goes right. Especially on a course you know well, it's easy to play through hole-by-hole in your mind in a best case scenario. But mistakes happen, and if you go into the round expecting to have a few blunders, it's much easier to shrug them off when they happen. When you miss an easy putt, rather than getting on yourself about not putting with commitment, you can just as easily say "whoops, there's one of those mistakes. Oh well, I'll get the next one."

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,238 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I did just have a baby and have only gotten a few rounds over the last 6 weeks. meh

I thought you were a dude.
I'd blame the pregnancy and dismiss it as a one-time thing.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

LOL, I am the dude, my WIFE Had the baby....I kinda have it too yunno...to take care of.

And yeah I did that, I looked at the highlights I was proud of...it helps.

I don't think I've ever missed 10-20 footers this many ever before. My last rec round was with a buddy and I was missing those 10-30 putts a lot....it was weird. Like I just didn't feel right.

I did switch putters, but it wasn't that, it was just me sucking at disc golf.

If you coulda seen, I was parked, like 12 feet....just felt like i forgot how to play the game, I lofted it too gingerly and missed high.....it was embarrassing.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 80
Niced 267 Times in 102 Posts

Play more tournaments.

When I have a stretch where I am playing very few competitive rounds the ones that I do play seem to take on a level of importance that they don't really merit. Playing under the pressure of competition regularly helps me avoid overthinking what I am doing and just go out and play.

If i get up to a putt or if I'm standing on a tee and thinking about the mechanics of HOW to throw a disc then I'm not getting enough practice in, particularly in pressure situations.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 148 Times in 81 Posts

Practice putting more. Try to develop a style that leaves you with sub 20 foot come backs, then you'll never be afraid to go for it in a tournament.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 135
Niced 999 Times in 531 Posts

Skip your first step of getting excited. Adrenaline is your enemy.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 199 Times in 111 Posts

Clickbait much?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 213
Niced 330 Times in 176 Posts

Is this your first time having a bad putting day at a tournament?

Happens a lot. Even if you're all amped up, sometimes it doesn't take much to lose confidence in your putting stroke. Shake it off, get some putting reps in after the tourney to get the putt back and keep chugging.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:11 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 542
Niced 755 Times in 325 Posts

I've had a couple tournaments where I didn't feel like I had any idea where the disc is going...including my last one.

The only difference is now those "horrible" rounds are rated about 50 points higher than they used to be. It's all about perspective.