Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,793 Times in 780 Posts

Dbags will be dbags. This is why many private courses are difficult to play and often end up closing. There is no easy solution, but getting a locking gate and having someone onsight to collect might be the only foolproof solution.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,452 Times in 746 Posts

I would agree with the people that have said not to limit your focus to the biggest abuser. Start throwing out anyone who doesn't pay. It'll only take a couple people before word spreads. The current non-payers will either start paying or start playing elsewhere.

More passive aggressive solution: put out a sign informing people that if they're caught on the property without paying, they will be arrested for trespassing and charges will be filed. Just make sure that you see the threat through.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Buy a "Boot" and put it on cars of people who willfully ignore the honor system. $20 fee to remove boot. I bet they'll find you when they can't get home...

You could always add a sign that says in effect "The honor system is not working as I see the same people day in and day out who don't pay. If you honor your time here, honor MY time here. It's pretty simple. This is a pay to play facility. If you don't want to pay, go elsewhere. If you don't want to pay and still play here, I will consider you trespassing."

Make an example of one person, and word may spread.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:10 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 542
Niced 755 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintermatt View Post
Buy a "Boot" and put it on cars of people who willfully ignore the honor system. $20 fee to remove boot. I bet they'll find you when they can't get home...

You could always add a sign that says in effect "The honor system is not working as I see the same people day in and day out who don't pay. If you honor your time here, honor MY time here. It's pretty simple. This is a pay to play facility. If you don't want to pay, go elsewhere. If you don't want to pay and still play here, I will consider you trespassing."

Especially that last part. Word will spread quickly if somebody gets busted.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,452 Times in 746 Posts

Quote:

Or have their car towed.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,843 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
I like the idea but...eeek...is that legal?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,440 Times in 2,341 Posts

Something like this may help.

Or get one of these, and have Paying Customer Parking Only added to the blank space.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

You could develop a bag tag. Charge $20 or $25 for a bag tag. Have 6 month expiration (noted on a ledger when it'll expire).

Have a bag tag challenge every weekend. Put a leaderboard up to show which tags are in the top ten. Make it about MORE than just the money, and people might feel obliged to get in. If you don't want to pay for bag tags, you can make them out of a downed tree trunk.

If you are a local, and are playing without a bag tag, you must purchase one. Thems the rules.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 331 Times in 166 Posts

I agree that you have incredible patience. I would have already placed a hidden trail camera and testified at his criminal tresspass/theft trial.

One thing that I suggest is a system like the US Forest service uses where you put your information on an envelope that has a detachable tag. In the envelope goes the cash which gets deposited into a lock box with a slot. The tag goes on the windshield. Anyone who doesn't have a tag didn't pay. Anyone who has a tag that doesn't match an envelope hasn't paid. If you work with the local sheriff, you may be able to get a deputy to occasionally meet you at the course, especially on heavily trafficked days, and issue citations to those who didn't pay. If you do that once or twice, the thieves will disappear, word will get out and you'll likely get a much higher percentage of payers for a while. You won't have to do this very often.

You'll have to do this periodically. Even jailing the violators of Selah's no-disc-diving policy doesn't stop people from disc diving. I saw some divers there two weeks ago.

All the other, more positive ideas are good ones btw. Save this one until you get completely fed up with the thievery/trespassing.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 331 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
I like the idea but...eeek...is that legal?
It probably depends on the jurisdiction. With a couple of phone calls you could probably make it legal almost anywhere. You might be able to do it with a sign at the entrance warning that people who fail to pay will be towed/booted depending on local law. The towing option is probably already legal as long as you warn (but check with the towing companies, they will know the law on this).