Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,095 Times in 1,191 Posts

Great responses everyone. I can see the dg community is filled with some of the best minds of our generation.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2017, 12:10 AM

Courses Played: 13
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd like to weigh in my two cents! Working full time and not playing as much means all the discs in my bag season much, much slower than a good friend of mine who plays +3 times a week. So I began getting factory 2nds from the innova proshop to try and get a cycle of different discs going. I've been messing around with beating discs in for quite some time now.

For most star and champ plastics, the stereotypical tuning process will remove some rigidity of the plastic (depending on how much is present in the disc, plastic, run, etc... to begin with). This will remove the teeniest bit of stability and will allow the seasoning process to happen much more quickly.

The stereotypical idea of tuning is an average way to season a disc (meaning you have to do it for stupid long...also I'm impatient so stupid long is relative). If you tune at too aggressive of an angle or hold those angles for too long in the tuning, you can bend the disc out of shape: in some cases I have found this altered the flight of the disc for less glide and abrupt changes in stability. Tuning will only mildly affect the PLH of the disc. Taco-ing can be bad because, though it mimics the the shape a disc might momentarily take from smashing into a tree, the smash into a tree is abrupt pressure vs the continuous applied pressure of taco-ing manually.

Tuning a premium plastic disc to get that carry/less stability/glide/etc... can be a headache to happen quickly. I've found the best way is to remove flashing, "tune" both up and down to remove rigidity, then throw it into trees combined with "stressing" the disc. Stressing is like very, very mild taco-ing while moving hands up and down. Imagine rubbing hands together for warmth but instead you are holding the rim with both hands bending slightly down and then moving hands vertically in opposite directions.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:14 AM

Courses Played: 13
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Also, mvp/axiom discs are stupid hard to season. I've given up trying to artificially season their putters and mids. The higher speed the mvp/axiom disc is, the easier it is to season them. I've had the best luck seasoning this one octane.

I'm currently trying to work on a max weight champ destroyer I found at PIAS. I've taco'd, tuned, smashed into trees, and literally beat it with landscaping rocks and dumbell bars. Probably a hammer would be better. I've tuned it to become a straight to fade. My armspeed is for wraiths, but a friend of mine can get it to turn a little bit. Stick with star plastic!!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
if a disc has flashing, i remove by rubbing it on the teepad, or tree, or sidewalk. i hate sharp flashing.
Google found one page (aerobie) so it doesn't seem widely used?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,258 Times in 1,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
Im aware. So why does anyone use any other discs besides one putter, one mid, one fairway, and one distance driver? Bend it to desired flight path?

Or it could be that discs eventually reset back into original shape and youre literally just bending it. That doesnt have the same effect that a disc smashed into a tree 100 times has.
I agree with this. I think if someone has a warped disc from being in a hot car or a basement or something, then it can be restored to its pre-warped condition with the treatments. But tuning to get a different flight is for the most part only going to have limited effect, which will wear off. And I say this after once trying like hell to tune a Valkryie, with total lack of success...

Niced: (1)
Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 1
Niced 144 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
too loud and pointless IMO. I tried for a second and said f that noise.
that is what i was thinking as well, but thought i would ask in case it was something that worked.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 25 Times in 20 Posts

Sometimes artificially seasoning a golf disc doesn't give you the same effect as naturally seasoning a golf disc. For example I artificially season a champion teebird and it lost it's HSS first instead of losing its LSS like it would have if done naturally.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

I put a 2' long, 4x4 on a towel in my passenger seat and use the disc as a drum stick, rotating it every so many beats. Throw it every 30 or so minutes of tapping to make sure you haven't gone further than you want.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 50
Niced 321 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlat View Post
Sometimes artificially seasoning a golf disc doesn't give you the same effect as naturally seasoning a golf disc. For example I artificially season a champion teebird and it lost it's HSS first instead of losing its LSS like it would have if done naturally.
This is what happened with my Destroyer but it's just what I wanted. Before smashing it on the bricks, it would start going left within the first 50 feet of the throw. Now it's almost perfectly straight with a good late fade.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,252 Times in 721 Posts

My favorite way to season in a disc is to throw skip shots on a gravel parking lot into a stone wall. The gravel acts as a great buffering agent and by the time it hits the wall, the disc has lost enough speed to not gouge up.
I also will throw skip shots with the disc turned upside down if it is gummy plastic. The small cuts in the top help break the vacuum on release.