Old 08-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 83 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
Two popular discs that I will not bag are the River and the Saint. Something about their rims just does not fit my hand at all.

On the other hand, I find the Saint Pro and the Maul to be exceedingly comfortable to hold.
Interesting... The Maul and the River pretty much feel like the same disc in the hand to me (fly very similar as well). What do not like about the feel of the River that is different in the Maul?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

Wahoo......it became useless flippy very quick.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 135
Niced 999 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
No Franklin despair?
I just couldn't think of the name of that company. I did almost the exact same thing - found one on a course, threw it on the next tee. I just left it in that fairway.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 34
Niced 152 Times in 109 Posts

Skeeter in DX; stupidly understable. No matter how much hyzer I put on it, it would flip over or go straight but stall out and just drop well short of the expected distance. Could be me and my poor form but I've thrown more US discs (by flight numbers) that flew longer and weren't flip machines. Wombat also was like this for me.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 840 Times in 404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46YearOldSlinger View Post
Interesting... The Maul and the River pretty much feel like the same disc in the hand to me (fly very similar as well). What do not like about the feel of the River that is different in the Maul?

The River and Saint have more curvature on their undersides than the Saint Pro and maul, I guess? At any rate, they felt wonky to me, and I tried to like them.

Everyone is different. I am not suggesting that anyone else has to agree with me.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I just couldn't think of the name of that company. I did almost the exact same thing - found one on a course, threw it on the next tee. I just left it in that fairway.

Yep. Me too.

A Franklin Albatross was left in the basket on hole 1 of a local course. We were like, "Hey, someone left their disc. No name or number. What do we do with it? Let's leave it in the drop box when we're done, but try it on the next hole".
We ended up throwing it on the next few holes, just to try to get it fly more than 175 ft. When thrown at medium speed with an extreme hyzer, it immediately flipped into a roller. Very funny.

Would I ever buy one? No. Hefty paper plates are cheaper. And more reliable.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

On the real....the World was very disappointing. Sometimes it was super stable and hyzered out bigtime....othertimes it would turn and burn, the mold is just TOO THIN to be reliable. The Halo was sweet but was not as stable as advertised...it was an Ok disc tho, just not at all stable, it was like 13/4/-3/2 . Verdict....same thing, I wanted to love the disc. And at first I did, felt great, kinda fast, flew similar to a buzz....almost....its supposed to be overstable, which it can be, but when thrown hard or in ANY headwind it would turn and burn worse than any mid I own....again, TOO THIN, when the disc is SO thin it rides the line of either US or OS and not a consistent flight. Pure was very excited to get this but it occasionally was TOO flippy again. I'm truly not picking on Trilogy discs....but they just happen to be the discs that were disappointing. I have used others that are good. IE: I putt with Daggers . I love the Harp. it all depends. - I was disappointed in the Ace Race Archer, but I think the Z versions are probably better. ehhhh its all up to the individual. but some discs are definitely better in general than others

Old 08-02-2017, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 48
Niced 862 Times in 582 Posts

Worlds and Verdicts are not thin.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 42.7
Courses Played: 238
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 110 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
GStar Dominator.
Had very little turn until it was mashed on... then flipped like mad. Seemed like it had an on/off switch after breaking 400 feet or something. Little glide and just like sluggishly meandered down the fairway in quite the inconsistent manner.
Also, DX Wraiths are impressively useless.
I was going to do a thread search for the Dominator, but decided to make a game of it & see if anyone mentioned it early on in the thread. Bingo!

As for DX Wraiths, I have to disagree. DX plastic has it purposes.
An inexpensive means to try out a disc, usually a newer players way to get new plastic on the cheap.
Another is that DX becomes flippy fairly quickly, so one can "cycle" discs to cover the major flight groups, US, stable, OS.
And lastly, in my post, good grip in wet conditions.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
On the real....the World was very disappointing. Sometimes it was super stable and hyzered out bigtime....othertimes it would turn and burn, the mold is just TOO THIN to be reliable. The Halo was sweet but was not as stable as advertised...it was an Ok disc tho, just not at all stable, it was like 13/4/-3/2 . Verdict....same thing, I wanted to love the disc. And at first I did, felt great, kinda fast, flew similar to a buzz....almost....its supposed to be overstable, which it can be, but when thrown hard or in ANY headwind it would turn and burn worse than any mid I own....again, TOO THIN, when the disc is SO thin it rides the line of either US or OS and not a consistent flight. Pure was very excited to get this but it occasionally was TOO flippy again. I'm truly not picking on Trilogy discs....but they just happen to be the discs that were disappointing. I have used others that are good. IE: I putt with Daggers . I love the Harp. it all depends. - I was disappointed in the Ace Race Archer, but I think the Z versions are probably better. ehhhh its all up to the individual. but some discs are definitely better in general than others

I agree with your assessment of all of the above.

The world is super fast, and sometimes awesome, others just too flippy. Same for the Halo.
It is my understanding that the Verdict is supposed to be high speed stable. But it's hss was not reliable enough for me. It felt like I was sometimes overpowering it. So, I switched to a K1 Kaxe. Oh yeah!
And, I prefer putters like the Harp and Shield for throwing. Stability.

Everything is relative to where you live. If I lived at a higher elevation, I bet I would like more of the "neutral" discs like the Verdict and World.

I bag discs like a Shield, Buzzz, and Teebird for straight shots. All of these are susceptible to getting pushed around though.

At lower elevation, we need our overstable discs to be a little more overstable (in my view).

Um, but I haven't thrown the Archer, so I don't have an opinion about that.