Old 09-12-2018, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,485 Times in 2,361 Posts

Looks like Iron Hill will be spared the worst of it but they will probably get some rain and decent wind.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 117 Times in 61 Posts

Florence will weaken rapidly after making its final landfall, Rock Hill sits at 60-70% probability of storm force winds right now. Currently it's expected to become a tropical depression by Monday morning.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by RistoS; 09-12-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,485 Times in 2,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Looks like Iron Hill will be spared the worst of it but they will probably get some rain and decent wind.
...wrong thread
Old 09-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 930 Times in 411 Posts

What if the storm blows away all the flags and rope?
Would be a bummer if this turns into the most merciful USDGC ever

Old 09-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 275 Times in 137 Posts

It is unlikely that you will see any direct impact from Florence as it is unlikely that the upper level ridge which is holding Florence from turning Northeast will last until USDGC. However, My guess it will have heavy rain more or less continuously for 5-7 days It is my thought that the ground will still be saturated and my guess with pretty poor footing, and unless it tightly flood controlled the Pond will be up near the basket on the beach. Conditions will really depend on how well Winthrop drains, I've never been so i dont know.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,056 Times in 619 Posts

Wait....someone please quote me so I get notified... so none of the established disc golf media outlets are being hired to provide the live coverage, they'e going with someone else...is this right?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,943 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Wait....someone please quote me so I get notified... so none of the established disc golf media outlets are being hired to provide the live coverage, they'e going with someone else...is this right?
There's only one "established" disc golf media outlet that does live and they say they're not doing it. So yes, they're going with someone else for the live coverage.

What I'm curious to see is whether this will be broadcast on Youtube (perhaps through Spin?) or if there's another portal that the broadcast company prefers.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Obviously none of this is official, because it hasn't been announced yet. We were told by an inside source that they are going with a company called Fulcrum media who does Ultimate Frisbee broadcasts. We don't know many of the details other than that, but I can take some guesses as to how it would be done if I were in their shoes.

My guesses:
I heard they were going to run fiber. Fiber is expensive. I would guess that they are going to just run fiber around the lake with a few cameras hooked up. This leaves half the course uncovered by fiber. So in order to cover this portion of the course they need to have some sort of transmission system. The cheapest way would be 4G like we do, but then you lose the fidelity. OR you never go live in the area that isn't covered by fiber. And instead you stay "live" around the lake all day and then you bring in Jomez & additional camera files and quickly edit them every few holes and insert them between actual live shots. This would provide an equally high fidelity that the fiber drops provide them. Then once the players get back to hole 17 you go live with them again. Kinda like the PGA does.

Of course this is gonna require a pretty big group of people doing this. My guess would be at least 2 or 3 editors onsite, 3 or 4 cameramen, Producer, production assistant, & 2 talent. Not to mention graphics and stuff before hand. Obviously this is going to come at a pretty big expense. But I also think that if they can pull it off it will be great, possibly the best we have seen in the sport.

I also expect very few commercials & a lot of interest pieces to be produced. Innova isn't going to sell out their event with other sponsors when they can afford to foot the bill.

I do expect an announcement soon on their plans, unless they are waiting until after USWDGC. And as I said on the podcast this week, if they don't push it out via YouTube or at least Twitch, it is an immediate fail. Those are the easiest CDNs to push to your TV and get on all devices... but I expect that they know that already.

Last edited by jvphobic; 09-13-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 86 Times in 32 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
My guesses:
I heard they were going to run fiber. Fiber is expensive. I would guess that they are going to just run fiber around the lake with a few cameras hooked up. This leaves half the course uncovered by fiber.
Maybe instead of rope they could use the fiber to mark the ob.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 670 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
Maybe instead of rope they could use the fiber to mark the ob.
Yeah, and use wireless to mark the rest of the OB.