Old 10-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 38 Times in 15 Posts
Default Keen: Great fit, but.........

I bought some Keen Targhee lows exactly one year ago, based on what was being said in this and other disc golf forums. The best fitting shoe I've ever had, hands down. They didn't even have to be laced tightly; they just cradled my feet. After just a couple of weeks, I noticed a bit of separation of the grippy outers from the insole in the toe area. I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 240 lbs, and I spin hard on the toe on the drive, so I felt it may have been my thing, and I didn't turn them in for a warranty claim. But I realize now that it wasn't me; the shoes are faulty. I have a year and probably fifty rounds on paver tee boxes now, and they are destroyed. Even the parts that don't get a lot of stress are separating. I honestly expected a lot more from a pair of shoes I spent $140+ on. As much as I like the fit, I won't be taking a chance with their products in the foreseeable future. The sad thing is that a lot of folks praise the durability of this brand. I have an older set of Columbias and a cheap set of Ozarks with similar mileage on them, and neither of them has shown the kind of problems that this much more expensive set of shoes has.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2018, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,393 Times in 1,178 Posts

I'd be pissed, too.

I had a pair of Targhee lows that lasted me about 4 years before they really started to wear out.

I wonder if you got a genuinely crap pair, or if their quality has slipped that much as a company.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'd be pissed, too.

I had a pair of Targhee lows that lasted me about 4 years before they really started to wear out.

I wonder if you got a genuinely crap pair, or if their quality has slipped that much as a company.
It's hard to tell. I had the mistaken impression that they were made in the USA, but a closer look at these showed they were made in Thailand.

Quality control is hard to exercise when your manufacturing is done on the other side of the earth, and there is a language barrier.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 271
Niced 176 Times in 77 Posts

I've lived in Keen Targhee mid boots for years, and have come to expect these kinds of sole delaminations. The two-piece soles don't seem to be well bonded. My solution has been to keep a fresh tube of Shoo-Goo around, and at the first sign of separation I re-glue them. You have to make sure that the surfaces are clean, and then apply a generous amount of Shoo-Goo and wrap the repair tightly with rubber bands. Once the joint sets (about 24 hours) I've never had one separate again. Eventually most (or all) of the various lobes on the soles will separate, but I've just gotten used to the repair.

I agree that it shouldn't happen and repairs shouldn't be required, but I think that aggressive twisting that occurs during DG just takes these things apart. But I find Keen to the be most comfortable boot for me and I put up with the issue.

FWIW - I've worn Keen boots for about 15 years, and even before DG i saw some of this delamination. But it's much worse with DG, and the more recent boots seem to be coming apart sooner.

Another FWIW - Amazon will often have these boots as low as $85 if you put them on your "Wish List" and keep checking. Kind of a PITA but worth it if you like the boots.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,393 Times in 1,178 Posts

I didn't want to go there, but... there may be something to it.

Before my Keen's, I had some Merrill's I liked. Next pair of Merrill's was a disappointment. When I talked to someone at the store about the difference, they said Merrill moved the mfg overseas. Until he said that, it never even occurred to me. I just knew the 2nd pair wasn't nearly as good.

I think I'm through paying big $$ for name brand hikers. The only reason I buy them is for the "waterproof" lining to keep my feet dry during morning rounds, and it seems giretex and other membrane brands seem to fail after about a year or so. I don't mind spending money, when there's value to it.

I'm gonna try some Never Wet on a pair of trail running shoes. Lighter on my feet and my wallet.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

Man, I bought a pair of Nasu (possibly the last pair ever) and they were crap, DG specific shoes and the same happened. I got a season out of them then switched them to work shoes. DG is hard on shoes anyway but I feel like it shouldn't shred them instantly. Switched to Merrell for the 2018 season, shredded them also. Merrel's comfort factor has convinced me to give them one more shot. Also going to try the New Balance 404v4 turf baseball shoe for when waterproof isn't 100% necessary.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Niced 168 Times in 86 Posts

My first pair of Keen shoes were the Saltzmans. I have played easily 200 rounds and have been very satisfied. Finally they lost their waterproof capability so when I replaced them I thought I would try another model and bought the Targhee II model. I have used them for probably 30 rounds and their waterproofing is great, but my initial feeling is that these shoes aren't going to hold up as good as my previous shoes. Next time I buy, I will definitely buy Keen again but think I will probably go back to the Saltzman.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 285 Times in 173 Posts

This is why I won't buy Keens anymore. Every pair I've had has done this.

They are comfortable as hell though, too bad.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,442 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I didn't want to go there, but... there may be something to it.

Before my Keen's, I had some Merrill's I liked. Next pair of Merrill's was a disappointment. When I talked to someone at the store about the difference, they said Merrill moved the mfg overseas. Until he said that, it never even occurred to me. I just knew the 2nd pair wasn't nearly as good.

I think I'm through paying big $$ for name brand hikers. The only reason I buy them is for the "waterproof" lining to keep my feet dry during morning rounds, and it seems giretex and other membrane brands seem to fail after about a year or so. I don't mind spending money, when there's value to it.

I'm gonna try some Never Wet on a pair of trail running shoes. Lighter on my feet and my wallet.
Columbia has some decent trail shoes/boots at a decent price. I have both. Water resistant shows and waterproof boots. Plus, if you are a big guy like me, they have extra wide sizes.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 356 Times in 227 Posts

Well you guys aren't making this easy, I've got two of those Keen coupons where you can buy two pair for 50% off, so basically buy one get one free with each coupon. If I could get one year out of each pair I'd be fine with that, even if I have to use Shoe Goo.

Niced: (2)