Old 12-11-2018, 02:37 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,726 Times in 789 Posts
Default "Lofty Golf" Producing DG Par & Putting Challenges?

Imagine we're back a few hundred years ago before golf had the nicely mowed greens of today. Having a chance to hole out within say 40 feet of the hole required the use of lofted clubs and a chip shot that likely bounced to its landing position if not in the hole. Even positions within 7 feet of the hole might require the ball to leave the ground unless you were fortunate to have sheep or goats trim those areas to get some roll.

It took until the middle of the last century before putters were being designed with a "loft" less than 8 degrees, like the revolutionary Ping putter in 1959, when greens were getting cut short and groomed well enough even on public courses. It wasn't until this transition early last century when players could start relying on their knowledge of the greens and how the ball would roll to where "putting" on greens really became a separate skill and game element from simply lofting the ball with a variety of clubs to get to the hole.

It seems like disc golf game play is more like this early golf game with mostly lofted shots, driving and chipping until holing out, versus the current golf game where putting uses separate equipment, skills and rolls along the ground. In other words, disc golf hasn't really developed a unique putting theater separate from simply making long throws, upshots, short throws and drop-ins. C1 and C2 could stand for Chip 1 and Chip 2. Inside the 10 meter circle may affect your foot movement but we're still throwing from there.

I'm not suggesting that disc golf needs to or might want to develop a unique putting theater of some sort. I'm not even sure what that might look like although some ideas have been suggested. My point in this thought exercise is providing one explanation why disc golf has been challenged setting par in a manner similar to the golf rule-of-thumb (shots to the green plus 2 putts). It's because we don't yet have a well defined putting theater requiring sufficiently different skills and equipment from what we already use to get close to the basket.

Some designers, TDs and promoters are disappointed when they see pros winning with scores double digits under par and try to make "putting" tougher with punitive OB like island greens. It doesn't make our "chip throws" any tougher, just perhaps more loft will be helpful. Using smaller baskets might reduce scores under par where "chip throws" hole out less frequently. But it wouldn't really create a unique putting theater, just less excitement with a higher percentage of "down in 2's" from chipping range.

Do we really need to create a unique putting theater? Requiring new skills will likely be frustrating and equipment is expensive. I suspect whatever ideas are proposed could be even less fun for players than how many currently feel about putting. Those are tough barriers to overcome.

The game as it has been before adding all of the temp OB for top tier events provided enough scoring separation to determine winners without needing a playoff very often and rarely more than two tied for first. From a spectator standpoint, do we really want more separation than necessary? Tighter separation provides more potential drama for more players to rally and come back and produce playoffs more frequently. If anything we should look at ways to keep scores close but provide scoring separation. That might warp our perspectives on setting par even more such that some new metric might be more effective for tracking live performance while still tracking over/under par scores in parallel.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 12-11-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,336 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Do we really need to create a unique putting theater?
Ummm...

No.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,800 Times in 781 Posts

It ain't broke........

Niced: (2)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Par Member

Niced 113 Times in 61 Posts

Don't worry about what par is. Driving accuracy should be the focus for creating scoring separation.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 653 Times in 335 Posts

Allow defense.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 104 Times in 58 Posts

Disc golf > ball golf....

Nice thought experiment but last time I played golf I hated it. Conversely, I always enjoy my disc golf rounds so any differences between the 2 games are probably a good thing.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,256 Times in 724 Posts

Putting in disc golf is boring; it is way too easy. I am a rec player, and even I assume that inside 16 feet, my putts are a gimme.

Just make it where if it is inside circle 1, add 1 to the score and move on.

That or make it worth my time to watch a pro putt.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 135
Niced 999 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
Allow defense.
HELL YES.

BASEketball style psych outs are exactly what DG needs!

Steeeeve Perry!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Putting in disc golf is boring; it is way too easy. I am a rec player, and even I assume that inside 16 feet, my putts are a gimme.

Why do you even play? I wouldn't want to play this game if I didn't enjoy putting. Really, it's the most enjoyable part because that's when the disc actually goes in the basket.

Also, if you are really 100% from 16', you shouldn't be in rec anymore. Rec players miss from 15' all the time.

Last edited by roggenb3; 12-11-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 86 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post

Also, if you are really 100% from 16', you shouldn't be in rec anymore. Rec players miss from 5 all the time.
Fixed it for you

Old 12-11-2018, 08:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,229 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post

Go play a tournament in a higher division and let us know how that 100% accuracy is on 16 footers.