Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Par Member

Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default Form Check... Give me your worst!

https://youtu.be/7G0-s_BqAuM

Been playing 2 years the throw was 390 with a newish star destroyer at the local turf football field at 40 degrees.

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts!!!
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,598 Times in 1,649 Posts

So you're doing a lot of stuff that is pretty common...turning back early on the left leg, kind of "charging up" your load on the left leg, and then pushing yourself forward from the left leg so that you end up hitting/jamming into your brace leg rather than transferring your balance onto the front leg to throw from the front leg.

This is why your torso and the disc start moving forward as or slightly before your right leg touches down...because you are pushing off the left leg while still aligned to the left leg. You can see after release your spine is still aligned with your left femur and you keep tipping past your right hip, chest downward. You are hitting into the right hip instead of balancing your spine on it.

It will be a fundamental change of balance to throw from your right leg, one leg drill is the biggest help. Filming your balance on the right leg will be very helpful.

Generally what I think though, is you've likely maxed out this type of throw for yourself pretty much. So you'll be in store for lots of changes to align your balance in a new way and I wouldn't be surprised if after some revisions you're throwing the same distance but with like 40-60% your current effort and a lot more leverage on the disc. Getting more distance past 400ish takes a lot of things to be completely correct, I've been throwing that same 400ish for a while but the more I change the easier and more consistent it is.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,011 Times in 1,836 Posts

Agree with SP. It's going feel really weird changing balance, or rather being in dynamic balance. Right now you feel like you are in a very powerful position to throw from, and what you need to change to will feel really counterintuitive at first, but will yield effortless leverage and distance.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Par Member

Thank you guys for your reply!!!!
So it sounds like I need to work on my balance, and stand more straight up as I throw, body over toes which is aligning my hips to the proper position. Then transfer my weight more smoothly. Am I correct in that assumption?

If I could as because obviously I know nothing about form., I agree I feel like I’m in a more powerful position.... so, why does standing more straight up lead to a farther flight and be more powerful overall?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,011 Times in 1,836 Posts

Think about your spine and arm/disc as a ball on string. The tighter the center axis of rotation(spine), the faster the ball(disc) goes.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,598 Times in 1,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Thank you guys for your reply!!!!
So it sounds like I need to work on my balance, and stand more straight up as I throw, body over toes which is aligning my hips to the proper position. Then transfer my weight more smoothly. Am I correct in that assumption?

If I could as because obviously I know nothing about form., I agree I feel like I’m in a more powerful position.... so, why does standing more straight up lead to a farther flight and be more powerful overall?
No that's not right...if viewed from the side, you should be standing upright with spine directly over right leg in one leg drill. It's not a heel/toe thing, it's a lateral toward front of teepad thing.

I would really recommend the one leg drill...try some throws or swings from that position, film them, post them. You don't need to do them for hours...try a few, try to do it better some more times, film it and post it. Get feedback. Don't spend hours doing it "wrong", get some feedback so you can work smarter not longer.

Basically if you have no forward momentum, as in one leg drill, your spine will be directly above your right leg when you throw. Currently you would have your spine over your left leg when throwing, so it's completely the wrong balance. Since you are pushing your weight forward on the left leg, your right leg comes out to catch yourself and that's why your spine tips over.

Standing up straighter is faster because you have a tighter axis. You can rotate around your spine that is balanced on your front leg. Your rear leg provides a counterweight so that you can actually KEEP swinging your arm during the throw. The way you are throwing now, you push off your left leg and once that leg has left the ground you have no more leverage to add...so as fast as your arm is moving at that point is as fast as you can ever move for the rest of the throw. Whereas when you have proper balance you will have a tighter axis to spin around, as well as counterweight so that you can keep swinging your arm to pull the disc through the hit. Trust me when I say it will feel so much less impactful on your body and the flights will just float out there, and my form isn't even right/high level just way better than it was.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by slowplastic; 01-19-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:25 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 21 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
No that's not right...if viewed from the side, you should be standing upright with spine directly over right leg in one leg drill. It's not a heel/toe thing, it's a lateral toward front of teepad thing.

I would really recommend the one leg drill...try some throws or swings from that position, film them, post them. You don't need to do them for hours...try a few, try to do it better some more times, film it and post it. Get feedback. Don't spend hours doing it "wrong", get some feedback so you can work smarter not longer.

Basically if you have no forward momentum, as in one leg drill, your spine will be directly above your right leg when you throw. Currently you would have your spine over your left leg when throwing, so it's completely the wrong balance. Since you are pushing your weight forward on the left leg, your right leg comes out to catch yourself and that's why your spine tips over.

Standing up straighter is faster because you have a tighter axis. You can rotate around your spine that is balanced on your front leg. Your rear leg provides a counterweight so that you can actually KEEP swinging your arm during the throw. The way you are throwing now, you push off your left leg and once that leg has left the ground you have no more leverage to add...so as fast as your arm is moving at that point is as fast as you can ever move for the rest of the throw. Whereas when you have proper balance you will have a tighter axis to spin around, as well as counterweight so that you can keep swinging your arm to pull the disc through the hit. Trust me when I say it will feel so much less impactful on your body and the flights will just float out there, and my form isn't even right/high level just way better than it was.
This, this, and this. I have made some decent progress over the past few weeks and it is so much because of sidewinder and slowplastic. I usually have a daily routine where I practice a drill 15 minutes and then film it along with a few standstill throws. Then I upload to youtube and get feedback. Then try and make corrections the next day and film again. Rinse, repeat. Dont practice the same drill for an hour if youre doing it wrong. THis will just make it harder to do it correctly imo

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Par Member

Thank guys, currently it’s 10 degrees and just under a foot of snow. Forecasting sleet and rain.... don’t think I can go outside anytime soon. I’ll work on some drills and balance in the basement
Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 PM
Par Member

Default Worked on balance....

Alrighty guys took a couple minutes and went out, worked on my balance and one leg drills.
Let me know what you think about what I’ve changed so far....

One leg drill
https://youtu.be/BvIHYgzItHM
Full throw
https://youtu.be/tTINOkIpSDM

Oh and btw the last two throws were 400 with 2 teebirds not but 5 feet apart something’s different already!!

Thanks again, look forward to what you have to say this time

Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 PM
Par Member

Full throw video not working, this one will..
https://youtu.be/QNsAbFV3HUg