Old 05-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 38 Times in 15 Posts
Default I guess this is what getting better looks like....

I picked up the game at 50, and started playing rounds regularly at 52. I'm 54 now, and I'm not where I thought I'd be at this point, but I think I'm moving forward.

Two years ago, I was maxing out at 300', and I figured I would be throwing 400' by now, but not even close. 330-340' is about the most I can get. But I've become much more efficient at getting to the basket, throwing the drive that gives me the best second shot. I know my disks, and I keep it simple, rarely regretting my choice. Max distance? Starlite Wraith. Headwind drive? MF Thunderbird. 300' on a rail? Champ Sidewinder. 275' approach? Fusion EMac Truth. Hyzer approach? Gator or Justice. Turnover approaches? GStar Aviar or Mako3.

Two weeks ago, I threw even par, 18 straight pars, on my home course, which is wide open, and fairly long. That means I left three birdies on this course, but there are three par threes that are unreachable, so having no bogies is pretty amazing. Yesterday, I played 18 technical wooded holes on another course and ended up five strokes clear of two players who are better than I am.

The player I was two years ago would not be impressed with the player I am now. If we were to play, he would have a hard time understanding why he was getting his butt kicked.

I guess what has surprised me most is how little physically has changed in my game, but how much has changed between the ears.

For those of you who have picked up the game for the first time at 40 or older, have you progressed in a similar way?

FYI, I would still like to throw 400'; I just haven't figured that part out yet.......
Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

In my experience most masters age (Am's) can only throw 300 or so. If you're getting 330 at 54 you're doing well.

Niced: (4)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 825 Times in 575 Posts

Hey Mike, I'm also Mike.. I'm 42 got back into disc 12yrs ish ago. I like your strategy.. I often say there's nothing wrong with par, even though out here everything should be a 2.

I have hit a sad plateau myself this year distance wise I seem to be topping it out at 300ish when I used to be a 350+ thrower.. But I'm happy that I'm getting it there easier and straighter with less impact on my body.

Whatever will keep me playing longest is best..

Niced: (2)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 05-05-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Niced 1,023 Times in 554 Posts

I'm 57 with similar distance, both BH and FH and have been playing right at 3 years. Played my first mini a while back and placed middle of the pack in intermediate, which I was pretty satisfied with. Keeping it in the fairway and hitting most of your circle one putts should definitely keep you around par. I lose strokes every round by not doing those things.

I also want to throw 400'. At our age, form is the only way we'll get there. We probably ain't gonna get any stronger but good conditioning is obviously important too.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 507 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3216 View Post
I picked up the game at 50, and started playing rounds regularly at 52. I'm 54 now, and I'm not where I thought I'd be at this point, but I think I'm moving forward.
Are your scores getting better? Improved consistency? Then you're moving forward.

Quote:
Yesterday, I played 18 technical wooded holes on another course and ended up five strokes clear of two players who are better than I am.
Your better score is an indication of your potential. Maybe you should start thinking that perhaps they aren't so much "better" but simply more consistent.

Quote:
The player I was two years ago would not be impressed with the player I am now. If we were to play, he would have a hard time understanding why he was getting his butt kicked.

I guess what has surprised me most is how little physically has changed in my game, but how much has changed between the ears.

For those of you who have picked up the game for the first time at 40 or older, have you progressed in a similar way?

FYI, I would still like to throw 400'; I just haven't figured that part out yet.......
Between the ears is where the most important progress is made. If you can drive cleanly off the tee, make your upshots consistently within your "comfort" range for putts, and consistently make putts in the circle, you have what you need. That, and knowing your discs (how they fly, when to throw which, etc.) Once you can consistently execute shots, course management and mental game are much more important than chasing 50' of max distance.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 525 Times in 300 Posts

I’m in a bit of a similar place place about 8 or 9 years younger. I tried the sport 20 something years ago in college but was bad and quit after 6 months. Started again at 41 and here 4 years later loads of improvement not just hoping but believing I can say I throw 400’. Flat ground no wind. I’m close.
From just after watching the first YouTube video on pulling the disc like a lawnmower I was able to throw far but had no idea where it was going and could miss by enough to have my second shot father from the basket than the tee. Three putting from 15’ wasn’t uncommon.
Whole game is getting more well rounded and gaining confidence a 1000 rated round at the local pro-am next month is within reach.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
I'm 57 with similar distance, both BH and FH and have been playing right at 3 years. Played my first mini a while back and placed middle of the pack in intermediate, which I was pretty satisfied with. Keeping it in the fairway and hitting most of your circle one putts should definitely keep you around par. I lose strokes every round by not doing those things.

I also want to throw 400'. At our age, form is the only way we'll get there. We probably ain't gonna get any stronger but good conditioning is obviously important too.
I'm jealous that you have a FH. I haven't figured that out yet. The absence of a FH has definitely made me develop turnover shots, though....
Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Bogey Member

Your better score is an indication of your potential. Maybe you should start thinking that perhaps they aren't so much "better" but simply more consistent.

At least with the friend I play with the most, it is the opposite. He has 100 feet on me on the drive, so when he is firing on all cylinders, he gets the par 3s that I can't. But he overthinks his disc choices and pushes too hard sometimes, blunting his advantage. I'm getting my par, and I avoid bad misses. For what it's worth, we make a fantastic doubles pairing.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 825 Times in 575 Posts

I can see that.. Different strategies work well together.. I played with a kid a while back for a random doubles tourney.. All I wanted to know when I met him was if he could throw a RHBH. I'm LHBH.. Turned out he had a rocket arm to boot... he was getting 100' past what I could with good skips etc.. But either poor choices or meltdowns on some easy mid distance, it was windy. The short of the story is that we took it by a stroke and though he was the king of the drives, my consistency and conservative shots helped out especially with some of his long misses on the birdies and mine being parked within 10' for the par.

You will figure out the FH.. It took me a while to feel like I can use it in a round with confidence but it will happen.. Check out Sidewinders "Swim move" it finally helped me put my FH pieces together this year.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

It's one thing to have a hot round, but being able to throw a decent score every time you play really means you are improving.

Also definitely work on the FH shot, even if it's <150' with a putter or midrange. Something that you know won't strain your body initially, but gives you another option for upshots. That option is so important when you are stuck behind a tree. You'll see lines different also, and it'll make the game more fun and creative again. Like sometimes a right to left short upshot is easier to hit with a FH anny than the normal backhand.