Old 05-23-2019, 06:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 309 Times in 176 Posts

Nor are they forehand discs. I bought a Champ Tern that was too pretty to resist at Sports Authority years ago. Took it to the course and threw it on an open hole that goes East, so any slight breeze would be a tailwind. Put some hyzer on it, and it still flipped over and glided probably 400’+ ..... but at least 200’ left and straight into the Colorado River.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 08:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 737 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Nor are they forehand discs. I bought a Champ Tern that was too pretty to resist at Sports Authority years ago. Took it to the course and threw it on an open hole that goes East, so any slight breeze would be a tailwind. Put some hyzer on it, and it still flipped over and glided probably 400+ ..... but at least 200 left and straight into the Colorado River.
Backhand or forehand, a Tern is not a disc I'd ever use if danger lurks. They aren't overly accurate.

That said, I've never tried to forehand a Tern.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 PM

Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

While I bag 2 Star Shryke 150/167 and a GSTAR
171g which kicked the Terns out, a new disc has taken over the max distance role.

A fresh Lat 64 Opto Air Bolt is the king of my long range bombers RHBH. It leaves everything else in the dust.

Easy to throw, and has good grip too.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 59
Niced 144 Times in 85 Posts

My bud gave me his 159 Air Ballista Pro and it's more stable than I expected. I was flexing it out into a 10-15mph headwind around 425' and was getting flat to hyzer around 400' with some consistency with the wind coming from 11 o'clock. Throwing the opposite direction, right shoulder downwind, my best throw was around 470' on a high distance line where the disc was still fighting out. I also had a low line flex around 450' with less than 25' lateral movement where I was going for the high shot but had a fortunate and perhaps telling low release. I don't think it was turning downwind more just holding that turn with the cross-tail wind on top of the flight plate and plenty of stability, I guess. Anyway, Bubble plastic go really really farr
Old 05-28-2019, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber99 View Post
While I bag 2 Star Shryke 150/167 and a GSTAR
171g which kicked the Terns out, a new disc has taken over the max distance role.

A fresh Lat 64 Opto Air Bolt is the king of my long range bombers RHBH. It leaves everything else in the dust.

Easy to throw, and has good grip too.
How far are you throwing? I've dabbled with Bolts before, but I find them too flippy to do anything with. Like, easily -4 or -5 turn. Even on a steep hyzer they turn and burn.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
My bud gave me his 159 Air Ballista Pro and it's more stable than I expected. I was flexing it out into a 10-15mph headwind around 425' and was getting flat to hyzer around 400' with some consistency with the wind coming from 11 o'clock. Throwing the opposite direction, right shoulder downwind, my best throw was around 470' on a high distance line where the disc was still fighting out. I also had a low line flex around 450' with less than 25' lateral movement where I was going for the high shot but had a fortunate and perhaps telling low release. I don't think it was turning downwind more just holding that turn with the cross-tail wind on top of the flight plate and plenty of stability, I guess. Anyway, Bubble plastic go really really farr
I hate air plastic on the course, but I agree it can be fun to mess with in the field. I had one freak blizzard Katana that I nailed about 480' one time. That's beyond what I can reach with any other disc.

A really light, moderately overstable disc will absolutely smash. I also have a 150 McBeth star Destroyer that's the same way. You can mash on it and it'll always come back late in flight.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 59
Niced 144 Times in 85 Posts

I took that air ballista pro for a test against my current Outlaw setup. The bubble disc is as overstable as my beefy fresh aqua pinnacle Outlaw, but it gets a sweeping hard fade where the Outlaw is looking for the ground. The fast lightweight got crazy left ground play side skips when thrown backhand on most low lines. Forehand, my form isn't clean enough to keep from pulling/wrist rolling it too far left. 400' BH; 330'FH

I must have been getting some good hits the other day because without a ton of pop, this air isn't going anywhere.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
I took that air ballista pro for a test against my current Outlaw setup. The bubble disc is as overstable as my beefy fresh aqua pinnacle Outlaw, but it gets a sweeping hard fade where the Outlaw is looking for the ground. The fast lightweight got crazy left ground play side skips when thrown backhand on most low lines. Forehand, my form isn't clean enough to keep from pulling/wrist rolling it too far left. 400' BH; 330'FH

I must have been getting some good hits the other day because without a ton of pop, this air isn't going anywhere.
I never found the Outlaw to be very long. It seems like a deep rimmed, slow driver for a speed 12. Very beefy too. The Outlaw wouldn't be my first choice for a speed 12 driver.

Some air discs can be brutally overstable. I've thrown a few blizzard Bosses that were completely glideless and short. I don't think that plastic molds very consistently. The stuff seems cheap and poorly produced, hence why I seldom trifle with air type discs.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:43 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,267 Times in 1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Some air discs can be brutally overstable. I've thrown a few blizzard Bosses that were completely glideless and short. I don't think that plastic molds very consistently. The stuff seems cheap and poorly produced, hence why I seldom trifle with air type discs.
Agree with this. My Starlite Tern is overstable and brick-'ish', especially for a Tern. Flip side of that is that my Starlite Boss is bomber but unreliably flippy. No consistency in that plastic...

Old 05-31-2019, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Agree with this. My Starlite Tern is overstable and brick-'ish', especially for a Tern. Flip side of that is that my Starlite Boss is bomber but unreliably flippy. No consistency in that plastic...
I hated the starlite Boss. I've thrown 2. Both were ridiculously flippy junk. It didn't matter how much hyzer I put those things one, they'd flip hard.

You never know what you're getting when you buy a super light disc. There's a fundamental reason you don't see good players throw discs like that on the course.