Old 06-30-2019, 10:57 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadpe View Post
Got unlucky and lost the S-line FD Well, it's not a surprise that it was my favorite flyer, usually those get used the most..

Like I planned I bought the C-line FD as a backup and it flies excactly in a similar line. I don't have the arm to turn it over for anhyzers but that is for future goal.

I hope someone returns the S-line one and I get to see the weird green swirl on the bottom of a orange disc. I didn't know that discmania does swirly S-line for the discount stock-runs

The best "odd" plastic I've seen is from Leo Piironen's in-the-bag video where he shows an old S-line PD which is transulent, imagine having an early star/champion hybrid!

Well other than that I've got few extra meters for my drives and I feel more comfy with the more stable discs, those come in handy because I usually have to deal with wind. If my bag has any holes, I'd say I need a backup for my star sidewinder, and another FD. Also a straight midrange, maybe a DX ROC since it would be OS new and it would season straight? Or MC-PRO ROC3 but that might be straight for more powerful players only

If anyone has tried a Luster FD I would be interested to try the plastic, wether it's more stiff or softer than regular C-line.
Edit: Also added a benched S-line DDX 170 that really worked great today. Idk if it is little bit seasoned but this baby goes 350f flat, I birdied 320f hole with a hyzerflip with this hitting the pole, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I don't usually feel comfy throwing above speed9-10 but the DDX is enough understable for my noodle-arm. I believe I am getting closer to 400 with the DDX. I like it for the fact that it doesn't have as harsh fade, really smooth one for being speed12.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Bogey Member

I joined my first competition today, which was really casual since it was open for anyone. Did alright but mostly had pars and couple bogeys.

I had pretty minimal bag.

S-line P2 - Putt and Aprouch, some wear so it goes straight when driving. I prefer it mainly for the feel.

Opto Compass - didn't really use it today.

C-line FD 175 - This was a money disc today and I can say that it goes super straight. The best thing is that I don't have to rip it, just a relaxed throw and it delivers. I can see now why it is so good for all skill levels and it was the first driver I tried after 1month of playing. No regrets.

Star Sidewinder - Didn't really use since it was little windy, but it's flippier fairway which can also give some distance.

Champ Savant - It worked great for being little stable driver, also great forehand disc. Definetly not my most used disc, but it's great for the situations.

S-line DDX 170 - Super fun to throw and feels great being shallow of a disc. With hyzerflip it flips up flat and carries that with some finish. Little unpredictable if I happen to have that extra power. I flip it too much sometimes.

Champ Wraith 171 - Champ Wraith was one of the first discs I owned and it felt too difficult back then haha. Now I gave it a chance and it works pretty nicely. I can release it flat and trust it to not flip over, also a headwind driver for me now.

Cham Wraith xx - I bought it used from the event and it's worn out, it looks like some dog had been chewing it. I tried it twice and it flies similarly to the new one, maybe little less overstable. Great flight for 5e disc.

RHBH has gotten consistent, but I mainly need to work on forehand and Anhyzers. I feel super awkward throwing Backhand Anhyzer release. Maybe one of 5 will have the correct angle and enough power to get it to work. Also I tend to miss my line little bit to the left on a hyzer aswell, I have to work those out.

Also, putt practice as always, I would had got like 5 birdies per round if I just made the putts incide 30f

I'm loving the sport tho.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:33 PM
Bogey Member

Im doing good with both champ/star plastic but I didn't really liked the champ before. Now it's really nice but not really the best in rain, but I don't ever play in the rain.

I like gstar and I can see why people love it but I don't feel like needing any disc in gstar right-now

Last edited by wadpe; 07-01-2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Accidently copied text
Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Bogey Member

Shot 3 casual 9-hole rounds, with following discs.

P&A:
S-line P2 175 - Not quite settled on putting putter yet, but this has the best feel. softer star plastic.
G-line P2 171 - Comebacker, floppy approach disc.
Opto Compass 173 - Straight with a hint of stability
DX Aviar3 - Straight approach disc, flatter and not as deep.

Fairways/Control:
C-line FD 175 - Straight, with some dome.
C-line FD 175 - New one. My friend owed me a disc. Notable dome.
Champ Savant 175- Fairway with some finish, comparable to CD2 or not-beefy Thunderbird.
Star Sidewinder 175- Turnover disc, finishes right with annie. Might consider a River for US-fairway instead.

"Distance":
320f average lol

S-line DDX 170
- Furthest disc, flips slightly but finishes straight. Possibly goes +350f
Champ Wraith 171 - Straight to OS, straight in headwind with harsh fade.
Champ Wraith ??? - Backup used worn-in, same flight. Great for risky shots. Not PFN tho

I shot +9 on the first round with 3x Double Bogeys last two were +1 and -1 I parked a straight 300 hole with the Compass so it was a pleasant surprise, it has the right stability for my throw.

I possibly have some overlap with Aviar3 and P2s so I might just take the Aviar3 off, and the DDX has got little unpredictable for me. I might consider buying a 175g C-line or Glow C-line one, if that would be a bit more stable one. I like the mold better than a Destroyer, but I might add Destroyer in for next time for extreme headwind.

My distance aprox with backhand: AVG/MAX
P2 170-200 Compass 250-280 FD 280/300 DDX 320/350

Should probably settle for the slower discs again or max speed7 since throwing them adds more distance. I am happy with my current bag, I've started to have some trust with certain molds.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,270 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadpe View Post
Should probably settle for the slower discs again or max speed7 since throwing them adds more distance. I am happy with my current bag, I've started to have some trust with certain molds.
Just an idea: try a speed-9-'ish' disc for driving. You've got a Sidewinder. A Valkyrie would be a little more overstable, and the Valk was once the world distance record holding disc. A bit more overstable than that would be the Viking (which comes in Champion and DX plastics), and more overstable is the well-loved Thunderbird. Trilogy (Lat64) has the Saint, and you can check out the Marshall Street Flight Guide to see what else is out there.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Just an idea: try a speed-9-'ish' disc for driving. You've got a Sidewinder. A Valkyrie would be a little more overstable, and the Valk was once the world distance record holding disc. A bit more overstable than that would be the Viking (which comes in Champion and DX plastics), and more overstable is the well-loved Thunderbird. Trilogy (Lat64) has the Saint, and you can check out the Marshall Street Flight Guide to see what else is out there.
Great idea, in fact I have a 175 Star Valkyrie coming this weekend and it's just between the Savant and Sidewinder I've got. I also know that I am going to love the disc in my hand. I used to have one and it worked really well, turns slightly but also has that fade, little more predictable than the sidewinder I would say. With those three 9-speed discs and the FD I should be fine with the local course.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:04 AM
Bogey Member

I'm settling on this core for my bag for a month now and see if it works for me. Most discs are 170-175

Putting putter Unknown - I still have to find something I would trust..
2x P2 (G-line,S-line) - 171 and 175 throwers for <200f upshots mostly.

Midrange
Compass - 173 opto, 260f dead-straight shots.

Fairway/Control
2x FD (C-lines) - 175 domey straight to 300f without having to work hard.
Savant (Champ) - 175 Hybrid like a CD2, mostly for utility shots.

Drivers
Sidewinder (star)- 175 distance driver, 310f straight, hyzerflips, and anhyzers. Less fade also less skip.
DDX (S-line) - 170 Max distance on open shots, 320f hyzerflips, 380f is what I would say I max out.
2x Wraith (Champs) - 171 and unknown, the worn-in is straight up to 320f and the new one has more finish.

That's it and I think it's a good set for a beginner, 10-12 discs are still quite a lot I feel.

Possible additions in future:
175 Champ Firebird - for OS utilities, or trouble shots
175 Star Destroyer - When I need that straight-to-hyzer shot in headwind, or utility forehand flexes with a skip this disc works for that purpose.
175 Star Valkyrie - When I need a bit more stable sidewinder, with a bit more power the sidewinder has quite a bit of turn, and Valkyrie is nice hyzerflip disc aswell.
Putting putter - I really need to work on this I feel like I missed 5 birdies yesterday for not scoring inside 30f
Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Bogey Member

The worn wraith is 168g and both the 168&171 are flatter than the 175g ones in local store. The beat-up one is a real gem for being 5e disc
Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 AM
Bogey Member

I did some practice rounds yesterday and I can tell that I focus too much on RHBH-drives. RHBH is working well after a nice warmup. I should focus more on putting and RHFH-aproaches since that used to be the key on the local course.

This is now my core, what I carry always:

S-line P2 - Beat-up straight with stable finish.
G-line P2 - Backup really but more gummy and lighter.

Compass - It was rainy so it felt super slick (I use fangrip) so it didn't really work for drives today.

C-line FD 2x - 175 domey. Feels super good to grip, and my favorite shot is the hyzerflip with this. I miss my flatter s-line which was really good for forehands (my forehand is 280f max)

Star Sidewinder 175- Turnover disc, also 320f straight s-shape.

Savant 175- It's champion plastic and it feels stable, it flies similar to a Teebird3. More than often a forehand approach disc.

Champ Wraith 168 - Beat-up flat-ish, goes straight.

Champ Wraith 171 - Also flat-ish but new, more stable with skipping fade.

S-line DDX 170- I can get this to turn but it has always a fade, so I wouldn't call it understable. The main driver for longer teeshots.

Discs that I am not sure to bag:

Star Valkyrie 175- It has pretty big turn, I can count it to flip every time but it also has the fade to finish straight. It's softer flexible star. It feels more like a backup for sidewinder, but it has that similar turnover with anhyzer-release. Easy disc to get up-to speed when I don't quite feel like going wide-rim.

Star Destroyer 175- I don't really use it unless it is extreme headwind so it just sits in my bag. Now when I think how often I use it for weird skip shots, not too often.

Champ Firebird 175- Even if it is not FAF or a PFN 12x it's still very OS. I don't really use it. If I need a shorter approach I am just going to throw something else in a hyzer release, rather than throwing flat-release that dumps hard.

Putting putter:
DM Tiger Warrior - It was affordable so I decided to try it. The plastic quality really surprised me. It's stiff and I like the flat-top of the disc. The plastic feels similar to XT-plastic, and I think it can take hits a bit better than DX surprisingly. They are so cheap I might aswell buy another one. Not the best thrower but I try if I would putt with it for a month. Clearly stable when new, but not OS like a Harp would be.

As a beginner I just try to minimise using many molds since it feels like not knowing what to throw. It takes months to learn discs but I feel comfortable with my current setup, I know what the discs do and I can be consistent with how much turn I get from which disc. I tend to avoid having many "understable" variants on the slower discs, since I am just going to throw a hyzer with a forehand rather than a turnover with backhand. I just don't feel very comfy with anhyzers, the RHBH-anhyzer is the only thing I want to learn for a turnover with the Sidewinder.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,270 Times in 1,669 Posts

Looks like you're on your way to solidifying your bag.

My only comment: that Valkyrie might be a "windy weather Sidewinder" for you, or you might find some other use for it later that you don't realize now. I use my Valks on the range for practicing to be consistent, so there's always something to do with it...