#81  
Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,758
Niced 1,859 Times in 752 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
and all the other '...quality...' posts here:

How about the "quality" of the player(s)? That's a facet of a championship (along with courses, amenities, etc.) too you know!
I like how your quality post is offering quality solutions.

Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,043
Niced 1,806 Times in 783 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
and all the other '...quality...' posts here:

How about the "quality" of the player(s)? That's a facet of a championship (along with courses, amenities, etc.) too you know!
I am not sure what you mean here, or the point.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 PM
ChefKoolaid ChefKoolaid is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dayton Oh
Courses Played: 34
Posts: 285
Niced 138 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
Please point out where he said that the titles were "nothing special" verse just pointing out the fact that there are many titles in general.
It's implied, is it not?


spe·cial
/ˈspeSHəl/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.


If there are many titles any one of them is not ' different from what is usual'

And therefore they are not special.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:11 AM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,223
Niced 4,486 Times in 2,361 Posts
Default



b9...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slwRFyjXRtQ
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:52 AM
scarpfish's Avatar
scarpfish scarpfish is offline
Resident Grouch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brownbackistan
Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 360
Posts: 8,146
Niced 738 Times in 259 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
For crowded events, especially PDGA Majors, Worlds, etc, I like to see preference given to players with higher ratings.
I know, I know, that this is somewhat difficult to administer and that some events already have ratings-tiered registration.

It has a few things going for it.
First, it rewards better play over time (seems pretty natural),
Second, (hopefully) it penalizes sandbagging.

Thoughts?
I'd be more on board with this if it was done by average rating over the last year, and not just the current rating.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,287
Niced 3,624 Times in 1,568 Posts
Default

The PDGA generally takes a "first come, first served" stance, treating all members equally and saying they have an equal opportunity to play. Except for the USDGC, which uses a qualifier system.

It seems to me that winning Worlds earns a title, and there's some merit to a system making sure it includes true contenders. (Worlds is both a championship and a convention, and the bulk of players aren't what you'd call contenders).

Tour events (NT, DGPT) should probably be able to make sure people who have made the commitment to be on tour, can play.

Otherwise, for most fast-filling events, you don't win a title; you're just the winner of that event. I'm not sure that's compelling enough to give certain members priority over other members.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 09-12-2019, 11:43 AM
filobedo's Avatar
filobedo filobedo is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Born, bred and shaped in the 843
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 270
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,180
Niced 84 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
For crowded events, especially PDGA Majors, Worlds, etc, I like to see preference given to players with higher ratings.
I know, I know, that this is somewhat difficult to administer and that some events already have ratings-tiered registration.

It has a few things going for it.
First, it rewards better play over time (seems pretty natural),
Second, (hopefully) it penalizes sandbagging.

Thoughts?
I would like to see priority given to PDGA members according to PDGA #'s.

For example sign ups start for week 1 with #1 - #20000. Week 2 - #20001 - 40000 and so on. Way to many newbs are taking spots from people that have supported the sport for many years.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 09-12-2019, 11:51 AM
mgcoleman's Avatar
mgcoleman mgcoleman is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midwest
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 18
Niced 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Yes, because the average 45 year old would be competitive with Eagle at the Memorial.
Sure, just like the average 25 year old.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 09-12-2019, 12:45 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,950
Niced 3,943 Times in 1,626 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
I would like to see priority given to PDGA members according to PDGA #'s.

For example sign ups start for week 1 with #1 - #20000. Week 2 - #20001 - 40000 and so on. Way to many newbs are taking spots from people that have supported the sport for many years.
Maybe for a Masters event this could work (but even then, I don't particularly like it). I see absolutely no reason to give lower numbers priority in any other capacity though. I don't deserve priority for, say, Pro Worlds over someone like Chris Dickerson or Joel Freeman or Austin Hannum (all in the 60000s) just because I joined the PDGA 13+ years before they did.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #90  
Old 09-12-2019, 01:06 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,287
Niced 3,624 Times in 1,568 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Maybe for a Masters event this could work (but even then, I don't particularly like it). I see absolutely no reason to give lower numbers priority in any other capacity though. I don't deserve priority for, say, Pro Worlds over someone like Chris Dickerson or Joel Freeman or Austin Hannum (all in the 60000s) just because I joined the PDGA 13+ years before they did.
How about, you've paid a lot more in PDGA fees, over the years?

(No, I wouldn't particular support this either, but that would at least be a reason).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 PDGA Tim Selinske Masters Nemmers Tournaments & Leagues 12 05-07-2018 03:02 PM
Tim Selinske US Masters Fundrasier Events _MTL_ Tournaments & Leagues 2 12-27-2012 03:06 PM
Tim Selinske - US Masters dobbins66 Tournaments & Leagues 91 10-21-2012 05:38 PM
2012 Tim Selinske US Masters AdamE Tournaments & Leagues 1 06-06-2012 04:48 PM
Tim Selinske 2010 US Masters Katana skybird The Marketplace 7 01-23-2011 07:32 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.