Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscLoser View Post
It SLIPPED. It wasn't a shot that could've/maybe/might've been good. It slipped. If he had thrown BH in Rnd 2, then FH in Rnd 3, I might see your point.

If he threw it BH and it went OB or came up short behind that pine in the layup spot, you'd be questioning why he changed it up.
I'm not sure why your so intent on arguing this with me. Your responses do tick me of a bit, because you seem to think I'm talking about the result of one shot, when I'm talking about the dicision to thow that shot regardless of how it worked out. I'm advocating for a different decision. It's about process, not result.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2016, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,403 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
That camera is sweet! I'd just like to be able to see the whole body in the frame/slightly zoomed out and not moving, next time around. I love watching the PGA events when they playback the Konica Minolta Swing Vision camera.
I'm with you, I love the Swing Vision!

I'll keep this in my back pocket as the season keeps going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueltrain54 View Post
Just watched the final round back 9. I really enjoyed the coverage, but I will say the commentary seemed a little intrusive for me. I thought all the comments were spot on but the constant play by play was a little too much. I think it would be better if you didn't speak to every shot especially some of the simple placement drives and up shots. Just my 2 cents, like I said the coverage was still enjoyable and I can't imagine how hard it must be to provide commentary on the fly. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the honest feedback. I definitely appreciate it, cheers.

There's definitely room for improvement there, and I'm trying to figure out how it works best. I think it's tough to stay completely silent, but it's also tough to avoid over-talking.

My thought is (and this is more of me waxing philosophically, not trying to argue) that it's a direct result of the style of video. In Golf broadcasts, which that minimalist technique comes from, they're not showing every shot back-to-back-to-back. You will only see the entire round of 1 or 2 people usually, and it's broken up...so the audience is constantly getting fresh context, info, and visuals from other pairings, and when they go back to the featured pair it doesn't feel as repetitive.

I almost wish the final groups could play as 3-somes, and we could do a cut of 6 total people across 2 groups, going back and forth and elminating the boring shots...that would take some TD cooperation though.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
I'm curious if he threw that same sidearm shot the other 2 rounds and what his results were, I have no idea.

It seems like he really leans on his forehand in some questionable spots. This decision reminds me of his choice to go sidearm on hole 17 at the USDGC last year, which was a huge mistake IMO
Sometimes he does the opposite. The hole sets up for a perfect forehand and he goes back. It's really odd.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 117 Times in 61 Posts

Ricky birdied the hole twice in the tournament with presumably the same shot selection. His 2nd round sidearm tee shot was excellent and he had a relatively easy birdie there, so I can't really blame him. He simply shanked it.

Last edited by RistoS; 06-09-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 743 Times in 404 Posts

Day2 recap has Rickys massive FH shot on 18, IIRC. Judge for yourself if you would have gone for it again, especially just after you have parked one on 17 where birdies are few and far between.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedavenger View Post
Day2 recap has Rickys massive FH shot on 18, IIRC. Judge for yourself if you would have gone for it again, especially just after you have parked one on 17 where birdies are few and far between.
I thought he bogied 17 day 2? I didn't watch it, but I thought that was what the commentator said.

I think the point being made is that given the layout of hole 18, a forehand is a riskier shot than a back hand. To make it with the fore you are working with the width of the fairway after the dogleg. A back hand gives the corner and that little landing area if you fade out. Clearly, Ricky can make the shot, he did in two rounds, a testament to his skill, but if something goes wrong, there is less forgiveness for an error on the forehand. Should you always play the safe shot? In Ricky's selection, if you make the shot, your second is 100 feet shorter, massive given the size of the green. It is definitely an interesting hole.

Given the wind on day three, I would have gone for the less risky shot, but I'm not Ricky.

Last edited by lyleoross; 06-10-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedavenger View Post
Just realized, you meant on day three.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I thought he bogied 17 day 2? I didn't watch it, but I thought that was what the commentator said.

I think the point being made is that given the layout of hole 18, a forehand is a riskier shot than a back hand. To make it with the fore you are working with the width of the fairway after the dogleg. A back hand gives the corner and that little landing area if you fade out. Clearly, Ricky can make the shot, he did in two rounds, a testament to his skill, but if something goes wrong, there is less forgiveness for an error on the forehand. Should you always play the safe shot? In Ricky's selection, if you make the shot, your second is 100 feet shorter, massive given the size of the green. It is definitely an interesting hole.

Given the wind on day three, I would have gone for the less risky shot, but I'm not Ricky.
Ding ding ding.

And you and Petey B can question shot selection all you want, but: it was windy on day 2 also (maybe try watching the vids before commenting on them?), and the wind had nothing to do with the drive. He shanked it. It slipped. He crushed it the day before, in only slightly less wind, and he didn't go OB in the final round because he threw a risky FH shot, he went OB because he shanked a drive. It SLIPPED. Tough break.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post

I think the point being made is that given the layout of hole 18, a forehand is a riskier shot than a back hand. To make it with the fore you are working with the width of the fairway after the dogleg. A back hand gives the corner and that little landing area if you fade out. Clearly, Ricky can make the shot, he did in two rounds, a testament to his skill, but if something goes wrong, there is less forgiveness for an error on the forehand.
That's exactly my point. I'm not saying 100% that it was a bad line to take, but I think it was def boarderline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscLoser View Post
He shanked it. It slipped. He crushed it the day before, in only slightly less wind, and he didn't go OB in the final round because he threw a risky FH shot, he went OB because he shanked a drive. It SLIPPED. Tough break.
You keep saying this, and while it is true you are missing my point. The point is that when something goes wrong on the forehand line it's much worse. He could have thrown a 95% great shot and still been in the same spot. Its just riskier is all.