Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 184 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
The first one of you to stop replying to the other is the real winner, you know that, right?
That was the first time I replied to Emoney, you know that, right?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,267 Times in 1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Foot faults will never be called consistently until there's an official with each card doing the reffing. Players don't want to call other players, because it's seen as a dick move, and they don't want to be retaliated against and get called when they throw.
I 'niced' that ten times. Only one showed up.

I entirely agree that players are just not going to make these calls on each other, and that doing so creates a whole new plague of problems. They need marshals/refs of some kind.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,481 Times in 2,360 Posts

...or players need to practice their runups/step putts so that other players cant make retaliatory calls...

Niced: (2)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 499 Times in 238 Posts

I called a guy on a foot fault back in 08'. Ended up in a knife fight right there mid round. I closed out with a roundhouse kick to his knife hand, then I used my chi power to put him on the ground. Onlookers cheered louder than that time Ricky Aced at the Utah Open. It was glorious.

Lesson: Always call foot faults, but always be prepared to brawl.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 525 Times in 252 Posts

I imagine all the pros have a limit on how far another player can misplace their plant foot for a violation to have clearly occurred.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,267 Times in 1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
I imagine all the pros have a limit on how far another player can misplace their plant foot for a violation to have clearly occurred.
And this reminds me of Wysocki's egregious foot fault, which Nikko DID call, but Wysocki refused to confirm (he grabbed his cart and was trying to get out of their as fast as he could) and McCray refused to confirm. So Wysocki got away with it even when it was called on him, and there was a lot of bad blood and fallout from the incident.

So with examples like that, why would other players risk their call not being confirmed followed by a lot of tension and bad blood?

Ergo: the present system does not work.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,931 Times in 1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Foot faults will never be called consistently until there's an official with each card doing the reffing. Players don't want to call other players, because it's seen as a dick move, and they don't want to be retaliated against and get called when they throw.
If they're not committing violations themselves, what would they be concerned about as far as retaliation goes?

It's the ****ing attitude that a legitimate and fair call requires retaliation that is the problem. Are these same players going to want to take a swing at a ref for making a call? I thought we are all supposed to be adults. No reason why players can't be adults about the responsibility of being both player and referee in our game.

And yes, I realize what a pipe dream that is...but so is thinking we're ever going to reach a point where there are impartial referees at every tournament. Something has to give.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 499 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
And this reminds me of Wysocki's egregious foot fault, which Nikko DID call, but Wysocki refused to confirm (he grabbed his cart and was trying to get out of their as fast as he could) and McCray refused to confirm. So Wysocki got away with it even when it was called on him, and there was a lot of bad blood and fallout from the incident.

So with examples like that, why would other players risk their call not being confirmed followed by a lot of tension and bad blood?

Ergo: the present system does not work.
Hard to argue with this. The system is not working. Potential solutions seem unrealistic given the already massive supply of free labor every event depends on.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
I called a guy on a foot fault back in 08'. Ended up in a knife fight right there mid round. I closed out with a roundhouse kick to his knife hand, then I used my chi power to put him on the ground. Onlookers cheered louder than that time Ricky Aced at the Utah Open. It was glorious.

Lesson: Always call foot faults, but always be prepared to brawl.
Clear front runner for most disc golf post of the year.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 675 Times in 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If they're not committing violations themselves, what would they be concerned about as far as retaliation goes?

It's the ****ing attitude that a legitimate and fair call requires retaliation that is the problem. Are these same players going to want to take a swing at a ref for making a call? I thought we are all supposed to be adults. No reason why players can't be adults about the responsibility of being both player and referee in our game.

And yes, I realize what a pipe dream that is...but so is thinking we're ever going to reach a point where there are impartial referees at every tournament. Something has to give.
It’s definitely going to take a culture shift for the current broken system to work. Top MPO and FPO players right now take these rules calls unnecessarily personally. That’s a product of the top players being inherently competitive people (have to be to be that good) and the players they are competing against for money, sponsorships, and spotlight being the ones who have to make the calls. Heck, players in rec at a C tier get ticked when you call them on a legitimate foot fault. Of course the top pros are going to get heated about it.

There’s too much at stake for someone to make a call (even a legitimate one) on another player and have it not be a conflict of interest.

Any game where the players are the ones who have to make difficult rules calls in real time is always going to produce tenuous rules scenarios. You ever play pickup basketball? Fouls are a nightmare. The current system, out of necessity due to lack of labor available for officiating, places unreasonable expectations on the game’s top players.

Niced: (2)