Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,758 Times in 863 Posts

Success is not measured by the percent of violations that get called, it is measured by how often players are playing according to the rules.

At the very top level (Paul) that seems to be about 100%. Of course that percentage goes down as the level of play goes down. That doesn't mean the system is broken.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,758 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
This is pretty good overall, isn't it?
For MPO, hard to say. There's no way to compare one course to another. I don't see any red flags. Rather, I view these charts as a way to focus efforts for the next round of improvements.

For FPO, Hole 11 is useless. Just about everybody got a 3. Doing anything to that hole would be an improvement. It would also seem to be very easy to improve 13 and 9 as well.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,344 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
There’s too much at stake for someone to make a call (even a legitimate one) on another player and have it not be a conflict of interest.
I would argue that there is actually too little at stake for the calls to be made rather than too much. See traditional golf for example of sport where there is too much at stake for calls not to be made.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,267 Times in 1,666 Posts

I was able to watch the final FPO round of the SFO last night. Yes, Cat foot-faulted (and right badly) on that one shot we had still shots of earlier. She foot-faulted another few times, and also had times where the shot was legal but she was still to the right side of the marker disc.

So (and this is not excusing her, just observing) I suspect she's gotten into the habit of being to the right of the disc and sometimes steps too far. This appears to be sloppiness as opposed to malicious cheating to get an advantage (like last year's Wysocki/Nikko/McCray incident was). Yes, some will say it's 'cheating' because she's violating the rules and not self-calling, and I'd agree, but I don't think it's 'malicious'.

IMHO if Cat was called for these a couple of times, she'd be sure to clean it up (after making revenge calls). In fact, if someone brought it to her attention between tournaments ("hey Cat, those DGCR people are saying you're foot-faulting; might want to check that out!") she'd get correct on it.

As to making the calls on her? Who's going to bell that cat? (pun fully intended)

Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,595 Times in 912 Posts

I have never really looked for this before, but after that slowmo ( Jomez ? ) i started to look where she plants her foot. . and it is often way of. . .
And as you need to be behind your mini/disc NOT out to the side of your disc, she is often to far forward. . and even steps on the disc quite often.

I don´t think she is aware of this, or does it on purpose. . . but i think if she looks at the videos and becomes aware of it she can fix it.

But i do think the comentators should point it out on any player

Last edited by Jolt; 05-15-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,081 Times in 409 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

During the live round when Cat got up to throw from the fairway me and others in the live chat called foot faults before she threw, each time we were correct.

That's how bad she's gotten with those fouls.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 107
Niced 436 Times in 195 Posts

Rules guys.... what’s the new(ish) rule regarding stance location behind the disc? Isn’t it a rectangle or something now and not just immediately behind the center of the marker? (I haven’t watched the video/violations at all yet and just wondered. I am not making any sort of judgement about the calls at all. )

And wouldn’t self calling be very hard? I mean if you have a run up in the fairway, who is looking at their own feet?

Last edited by Jimb; 05-15-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,344 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
Rules guys.... what’s the new(ish) rule regarding stance location behind the disc? Isn’t it a rectangle or something now and not just immediately behind the center of the marker? (I haven’t watched the video/violations at all yet and just wondered. )
Rectangle roughly the size of piece of notebook paper.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,595 Times in 912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
Rules guys.... what’s the new(ish) rule regarding stance location behind the disc? Isn’t it a rectangle or something now and not just immediately behind the center of the marker? (I haven’t watched the video/violations at all yet and just wondered. I am not making any sort of judgement about the calls at all. )

And wouldn’t self calling be very hard? I mean if you have a run up in the fairway, who is looking at their own feet?
look at page 10 . . post #98 in this thread

20x30cm BEHIND the mini or disc

Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 525 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
So (and this is not excusing her, just observing) I suspect she's gotten into the habit of being to the right of the disc and sometimes steps too far. This appears to be sloppiness as opposed to malicious cheating to get an advantage (like last year's Wysocki/Nikko/McCray incident was). Yes, some will say it's 'cheating' because she's violating the rules and not self-calling, and I'd agree, but I don't think it's 'malicious'.
What the hell is a malicious foot fault?
I still disagree that Wysocki's was intentional. He abbreviated his last stride trying to hit the line mid throw. His last stride is naturally very long... which lead to all of those cart path foot faults. Nikko knew his line would be impossible to hit from the lie and watched and was right. Ricky was probably aware he probably foot-faulted but competitive moment and not wanting or trying to a LOT of doubt can creep into one's head and that small amount of uncertainty is enough to not want to self call.

It is tough and I think in general the sport can survive on self policing but at the highest level it will need officials on each hole or card. The specific issue with foot faults is they seem personal. OB calls and scorecard errors and a lot of other calls can be looked at as a lot more impartial and even summed up as "the disc landed here" where as a foot fault by nature seems more accusatory "YOU foot faulted".

I have a lot more experience at a variety of levels of many different sports. From player, captain, coach, dad, uncle, spectator, volunteer official and paid referee. Having any call that goes against a player be taken as a personal attack is pretty common in so many areas and it is a very difficult thing that some officials develop a very defensive attitude prior to making calls as a result.
I would say in my experiences, no everyone has the mindset to be a good official. Recognizing an infraction and calling it impartially in real time can be a lot harder than it seems it should be. Especially when as pointed out with some of these there is no malicious intent or maybe even the intent was obvious to play within the rules. Ive seen it a bit on vaguely defined OB areas. The amount of gymnastics a card will go through to try and make a throw in bounds can be a bit extreme, and sometimes when it is clearly OB there is can be an almost apologetic nature to the OB call.
As an official in some sports i know I'm bad at it. Why? Because I love watching the sport and become a spectator pretty quickly and real time calls are very difficult. I'm watching for an outcome, i'm watching to see if the disc hits the line I expect or amazed at the flight when a line I don't expect to be thrown is accomplished. staying in the mindset of a referee can be for many of us harder than it seems it should. The other is just flat out sympathy that yes there is not a lot of wiggle room for a call but sometimes it doesn't seem like a huge error and the punishment doesn't feel like it fits the crime... thats where the interpretation of intent comes in or if they "didn't miss the mark by that much" or tried to hit the mark... big gray area that changes from individual to individual observing and sometimes a stroke seems like a pretty weighty penalty for something that was unintentional and maybe only off by an inch.

Watching swimming I have realized I cannot be a judge. It pains me to watch kids get DQ'd, or worse whole relay teams get DQ'd for many very small infractions, some that area so minor they are hard to see and many don't actually effect the outcome of a race. There is an argument I get, and I understand just like foot faults as JayDub pointed out, it takes focus away from your shot (ie Ricky's concentrating on his unmakable line) and therefore it does create a bigger advantage even if it looks minor or inconsequential when there are others focusing very hard on hitting that lie or keeping their swim stroke legal. It is still, in the moment hard to remember that, letting go of even these small things is wholly unfair to those who work so hard to ensure they are getting it right and play 100% within the rules... and also it isn't personal its simply enforcing the rules of the game.

It would be a big culture shift to get the whole sport up to speed.

Last edited by Putt for D'oh; 05-15-2019 at 02:47 PM.