Old 07-24-2010, 02:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts
Default forehand and backhand

My original question is, does anyone know what the longest forehand ace is? I have found the longest aces (like 726 non-sanctioned and just over 500 sanctioned) but nowhere can I find anything about forehand aces.

Also, I would love to see a forehand only distance competition. Has one ever been done? There is such a huge drive difference between forehand and backhand that I think they should be separated personally.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2010, 03:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

idk bout your question, but i throw RHFH and out drive all my BH friends... by a whole lot usually...
Old 07-24-2010, 03:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 73
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabraddock View Post
idk bout your question, but i throw RHFH and out drive all my BH friends... by a whole lot usually...
I've never seen a forehand break 500' let alone get anywhere close to Christian Sandstrom's record:

Open: 250.00 m Christian Sandstrom (SWE) 4/26/02 El Mirage, CA

Which is ~820 feet.

Flat ground of course.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 AM

Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think generally a forehand throw is easier for beginners to get better distance on because it's similar to throwing a baseball sidearm, so they have the motion down already. While a backhand throw has more potential but also a steeper learning curve to get the initial distance.

I saw a video on YouTube of the long drive contest at the USDGC where they were throwing over a lake. Several backhand shots made it over, some by as much as 100 feet. Only one forehand shot made it, barely, and they said it was the first forehand shot to ever make it.

I doubt you're going to find accurate records for forehand aces though. But perhaps there is distance records somewhere.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 AM

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw that video too.
Personally i can't even drive a disc forehand. It is fun to watch a good forehand driver though. I play with a guy that throws forehand and he finds some pretty cool lines through the trees.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:28 AM

Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I saw that video too.
Personally i can't even drive a disc forehand. It is fun to watch a good forehand driver though. I play with a guy that throws forehand and he finds some pretty cool lines through the trees.
I too love to watch a good forehand drive. It seams to exaggerate the curves of the disc which make it a bit trickier to control, but a lot more fun to watch if it's done correctly.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 32
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I threw a forehand close to 650' today (google earth estimate). I just choose to forget it was at an elevation of 7500', into a slight headwind, with an elevation drop of more than 150'. It was crazy how long that disc was in the air, it just kept going and going. Mountain disc golf can be such a beautiful thing....
Old 07-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staple Gun View Post
I think generally a forehand throw is easier for beginners to get better distance on because it's similar to throwing a baseball sidearm, so they have the motion down already. While a backhand throw has more potential but also a steeper learning curve to get the initial distance.

I saw a video on YouTube of the long drive contest at the USDGC where they were throwing over a lake. Several backhand shots made it over, some by as much as 100 feet. Only one forehand shot made it, barely, and they said it was the first forehand shot to ever make it.

I doubt you're going to find accurate records for forehand aces though. But perhaps there is distance records somewhere.
I heard about this video too. I'll have to check it out.

I guess I'm one of these beginners who took to driving forehand to start with. But it seems (and I've been told) that almost none of the top players primarily drive forehand. This fact and the lack of any distance records makes me reconsider driving forehand. But then again, if my backhand never comes around, I want to keep this shot in the bag
Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Nole View Post
I threw a forehand close to 650' today (google earth estimate). I just choose to forget it was at an elevation of 7500', into a slight headwind, with an elevation drop of more than 150'. It was crazy how long that disc was in the air, it just kept going and going. Mountain disc golf can be such a beautiful thing....
Ah dude, that sounds awesome! I'd love to play a high altitude course someday. Is it harder to turnover your disc at elevation also?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 110
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have no idea about the longest ace or whether there is a forehand only distance competition. I do know that that would be awesome to have something like that. I've been working hard on my backhand and can throw a putter reasonably far, but just can't the drivers out backhand as far as I can forehand. Is the record for forehand only 550 or so? Wonder how hard that would be to break...