Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,052 Times in 400 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default Augusta, GA Jan, 22nd

I'm driving to Beech Island, SC, outside of Augusta, GA, in a week and want to hit a course while there. So far I've found Hippodrome and Pine Valley Hogback. From what I'm reading I think Hippodrome is the one to play if I only have time for one course.

If a local would like to help me make sure I play the right tees to the correct holes, I'd appreciate that. I'll be able to play some golf on Sat, Jan. 22nd. Maybe one on Friday or Thursday but Saturday for sure.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't played any of the courses in Augusta proper, but I've heard good things. I have, however, been to the IDGC twice, and I can't wait to get back. Three great courses, the PDGA headquarters, and teh Hall of Fame an museum, along with a cool pro shop make the IDGC a true DG destination, right outside of Augusta.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

I didn't notice that on the map or knew about it at all, thanks for the tip. I'll have to play one or two rounds there instead.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,554 Posts

Augusta has a half-dozen or so fine courses. Your choice might come down to what kind of course you like---how wooded, how crowded, how difficult?

IDGC has 3 courses at one site. Mostly wooded, Jackson in particular is very challenging, not too crowded, plus you have the IDGC headquarters/museum/hall-of-fame there. A disc-golf-only facility.

Hippodrome is more open, has multiple teepads (pretty long from the long tees), and lot of unusual features that you'll find cool, or gimmicky, depending on your taste.

Riverview & Lake Olmstead are two other very good courses to choose from---probably a little easier, more crowded with disc golfers and non-disc-golfers.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm down. I'll have to hit up the hippodrome the week before though, they're always changing things. Riverview is a nice course, and if your up for a 30 minute drive or so, IDGC is here and all the courses there are awesome.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,554 Posts

The toughest part of reading the O.P. was being in Augusta for a week and playing "a course." Choosing just one. Tough.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

you like long courses or short ones?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Augusta has a half-dozen or so fine courses. Your choice might come down to what kind of course you like---how wooded, how crowded, how difficult?

IDGC has 3 courses at one site. Mostly wooded, Jackson in particular is very challenging, not too crowded, plus you have the IDGC headquarters/museum/hall-of-fame there. A disc-golf-only facility.

Hippodrome is more open, has multiple teepads (pretty long from the long tees), and lot of unusual features that you'll find cool, or gimmicky, depending on your taste.

Riverview & Lake Olmstead are two other very good courses to choose from---probably a little easier, more crowded with disc golfers and non-disc-golfers.
I prefer what I see with IDGC and my plans have changed....out of my control. I drive down Monday, 10 hours, work Tues, Wed and Thurs, 12 hours each day and Friday is golf day. I plan on getting to the course as early as possible, 9 or 10AM. I prefer less crowded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFish View Post
I'm down. I'll have to hit up the hippodrome the week before though, they're always changing things. Riverview is a nice course, and if your up for a 30 minute drive or so, IDGC is here and all the courses there are awesome.
IDGC it is, but on Friday, if you can make it that would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The toughest part of reading the O.P. was being in Augusta for a week and playing "a course." Choosing just one. Tough.
I agree, but the whole trip up until Thrsday is about work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFish View Post
you like long courses or short ones?
Both.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 130
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Agree with all of the above. If you do go to IDGC, and you plan to hit all three, give yourself the whole day. By myself, and at a quick pace, Steady Ed's took me almost 2 hours. ...and it's the smaller of the three. Plus you will want to shop, so bring your wallet. Finally, bring some lunch. There are some restaurants nearby by, but not really conveniently close.

Have fun, IDGC was a blast!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll second what Russ said, and go a little further, if you want to hit all three courses at the IDGC, get a really early start, like as soon as the park opens, or at dawn, if it opens that early. And bring two lunches.

Both times I've played The WR Jackson course were with one other player, and both times took a little over three hours, so if you're playing all three, plan on as least 7 hours of actual disc golf time. Start early.