Old 01-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

The core group plays year round, but usually only buys plastic 1-2 times a year. That being said, a new course is being built 20 minutes away and we have new folks playing all the time near by. I live less than 100m from the nearest course as well so I have a great location for impromptu sales.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2017, 01:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 411 Times in 173 Posts

Again, not trying to discourage, but...

if by impromptu sales, you mean sales to friends and acquaintances, then try to let them know (in a kind way) that you cannot give deep discounts to friends and acquaintances.
We are a cheap bunch, us DG'ers, and we expect deep discounts from
everyone.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Again, not trying to discourage, but...

if by impromptu sales, you mean sales to friends and acquaintances, then try to let them know (in a kind way) that you cannot give deep discounts to friends and acquaintances.
We are a cheap bunch, us DG'ers, and we expect deep discounts from
everyone.
Agreed, and working in sales the last several years has taught me this. sometimes the hard way.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 27 Times in 13 Posts

When people ask me, I tell them ten grand in inventory at all times. Plus, another ten grand in stock where your profit and reorders come from. Assuming you already have the business and tax licenses to purchase from the manufacturers. And permission from the parks department and TD's you want to make money from. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 297 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopTom.com View Post
When people ask me, I tell them ten grand in inventory at all times. Plus, another ten grand in stock where your profit and reorders come from. Assuming you already have the business and tax licenses to purchase from the manufacturers. And permission from the parks department and TD's you want to make money from. Good luck!
having owned a couple of small retail businesses, I think this is a good baseline. 10 grand should be minimum. keep your bank account high and be willing to starve a little, and work your a$$ off. I was willing to in my 20's, not in my 50's. if you aren't comfortable with that, opt to just enjoy life as it comes. again, good luck!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,947 Times in 1,333 Posts

That ten grand depends on what sort of "store" you're talking about. Or, more importantly, what the O.P. is talking about. I don't think it's a regular full-fledged brick-&-mortar store (for which $10,000 would be pretty skimpy). But for a side venture, going to tournaments to vend discs and perhaps a little out-of-the-trunk local sales, and online/facebook, it need not be that much---and particularly not if he starts with a brand of discs that's not easily found in his area.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 46 Times in 20 Posts

If the goal is to make money, selling discs is a terrible choice, you can make more money working for minimum wage, etc.

The margin is too small, there are too many discs on the market, too many people/sites already selling discs, etc., and as pointed out, disc golfers are about the cheapest people on the planet.

I have been selling for years and I will list brand new discs like a Tournament Giant for less than retail with shipping included on major web sites and they will not sell even after a year of being listed, and I realize that if they ever sold I only pocket a few dollars, so why waste the time, just sell them to PIAS or give them to a friend.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 247
Niced 169 Times in 88 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

Just a thought too, I don't know if things have changed, but I know Innova used to have strict "rules" on who they would sell to. I know for awhile you had to have retail shop to place large orders from them. Again may not be that way now, but I know it used to be and would be a huge thing to consider. I think you can place orders for custom stamped, but unless you have the skills to create the artwork/stamp you can shell out a ton for just the design work for a stamp.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,035 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopTom.com View Post

The last point is important.

You need permits to legally sell in most parks (unless you're going under the radar).

That and the majority of TD's will not appreciate you selling discs in the parking lot and pissing off or undercutting the vendors.

Beyond tournaments, what if there's a popular brick and mortar shop right by the course you're selling at?

Sounds like a recipe to earn a bad rep real quick.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:05 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 25 Times in 14 Posts

There are only 3 manufacturers represented well in our local area so was thinking about trying to get some inventory from an under represented disc maker and pimping their wares at regional tourneys and at our league and while traveling.[/QUOTE]

Legacy would be an easy seller, I know gateway is very easy to buy from wholesale. But honestly, Its not worth it. I sold trilogy for a while for a friend and sold a lot, and it still wasn't worth it.