Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Starting over

Last year I was doing great. I got a birth to the Michigan State Championship at my first tournament, and my rating jumped about 50 points. This year I seem to be getting worse. I don't know what it is, but I am not where I was last year. I have decided to start over. I am taking most of my discs out, grabbing a lot of new ones (Ones in my trunk that I normally don't throw), and pretending to hit the reset button. I'm hoping that the act of switching some things up will get my brain back on track.

Has anyone done this before, or done something else when you feel like you are stalling out.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had an issue where I was allowing my brain to interfere with my muscle memory.

I was at the top of my game and still getting better when it just stopped and I continued to get worse.

While I was out one day I was frustrated at my poor performance and went to a friends house to have a few drinks. He has a large back yard, and after having a few drinks I just picked up one of my discs and just let it rip. One disc after the next, all great throws.

I realized that I had been concentrating on the details of throw so much that I wasn't allowing my muscle memory to do it's job anymore. The drinks had finally allowed to me relax and just throw instead of concentrating on every aspect as I'm throwing.

I turned the corner that day and I'm feeling good about my progress again.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are there particular areas in your game you're having trouble with or is your overall game lackluster? If it's the latter, maybe you're just getting burned out a little and should take some time off from the game to pursue other interests. If it's the former, maybe there are areas where your technique have limitations and then it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to basics. A good place to start would be just reading the technique section here. Have u read through the 'Technique Sticky' thread? It's directly above on the front page. Lots of good stuff in there!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 83
Niced 54 Times in 29 Posts

yup.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 131
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

STOP. For awhile. Ive got to a point, myself, to where Im not having fun anymore. Ive had this happen before and just take a break. I agree about the mind messing things up because I find myself thinking about everything about every shot that I have taken for about 6 weeks. Sometimes you just gotta take a step back and not play for awhile. Good thing is, I shot 2 of my best rounds in awhile Sunday and hit an ace, so I went into semi-retirement in style
Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson

Try playing left handed, or force yourself to throw everything but your putts RHFH. Not only will it give you a break, you'll be adding another trick to your bag (assuming you're not already a FH master).

The different discs idea is great too. I've grabbed one of my 'overflow' bags before and played. It was an enlightening endeavor.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ludvik View Post
The drinks had finally allowed to me relax and just throw instead of concentrating on every aspect as I'm throwing.
*Now stays drunk most of the time*

Just funning, Phil
Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ha!

Alcohol... The cause of and solution to all of life's problems

J/k

Seriously though, I hope your able to get out of that rut Shawn. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 66
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Video work and core conditioning are usually the best ways to get better after you hit that plateau a few years after picking up the game.

I was actually playing way too many rounds at the end of my 3rd year (28 years old). It was wearing me down. I had to just slow down. Now I use a fair amount of my DG time to focus on specific aspects of my game with field work and putting practice. I reduced my rec rounds/week, from 10-15 to more like 5 and use some of that time to work out. It's helped quite a bit.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc1Time View Post
STOP. For awhile. Ive got to a point, myself, to where Im not having fun anymore. Ive had this happen before and just take a break. I agree about the mind messing things up because I find myself thinking about everything about every shot that I have taken for about 6 weeks. Sometimes you just gotta take a step back and not play for awhile. Good thing is, I shot 2 of my best rounds in awhile Sunday and hit an ace, so I went into semi-retirement in style
The same thing works for me. I always play my best when I am passionate and having fun. Once I find myself getting fustrated and taking it too seriously, my performance slips. Taking a break for awhile helps to reignite that fire in my game.

I just came back after taking a month off and have been playing some solid golf. This last week I have been shooting anywhere from -4 to -11 at Vista Del Camino. I'm feel like I am finally getting to a point where I can be competitive as a pro.