Old 05-12-2020, 06:19 AM
Par Member

Niced 93 Times in 49 Posts

I remember when throwing an ultrastar through strong and gusty cross winds I'd always ensure I overpowered it and angle the flight so the top of the disc would only just face the wind. The glide of an Ultrastar and it's tendency to turn when overpowered would be countered by the winds force and sometime I felt I'd almost get more distance out of a big throw that way than without any wind. I know most DG discs don't have the sort of glide an Ultrastar does but do you attempt to throw with the same principles in mind with a strong cross wind.

I understand the principles of into the headwind and with tailwind in terms of the stability of the disc but what about crosswinds? Is it more about glide than over/under stability? Is there a turning effect of high winds hitting a disc oriented perfectly flat and flying orthogonal to the wind direction? It seems like there should be many potential upsides of throwing discs in high wind even after accounting for the effects of gusts.

Someone mentioned rollers earlier. I've seen many an ultrastar landing on it's edge be taken by the wind and start rolling with the wind direction with no sign of stopping. When you're in extreme wind conditions are there roller opportunities that aren't with the wind direction? Do drivers avoid some of the effects of wind by having a smaller volume under the wing?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2020, 07:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,437 Times in 712 Posts

If you don't play in the plains when it's that windy, you don't get to play much at all

Old 05-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 57 Times in 27 Posts

I like to play in the wind, but only a few times a year.
I guess I would still often play if 20mph was the norm, but not as much.

You can do a bunch of funny lines in the wind. With a big sidewind (e.g. from the right for RHBH), you can throw a straight disc on a big Anhyzer. And the wind will make it drift to the left like a drunk man.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-15-2020, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 65
Niced 86 Times in 47 Posts

I actually enjoy playing in the wind. Mostly because we seldom get it in Washington state and it's a valuable skill to have the opportunity to work on. I just aim to shoot below double bogey on every hole .
Old 05-17-2020, 02:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 30
Niced 150 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
I understand the principles of into the headwind and with tailwind in terms of the stability of the disc but what about crosswinds? Is it more about glide than over/under stability? Is there a turning effect of high winds hitting a disc oriented perfectly flat and flying orthogonal to the wind direction? It seems like there should be many potential upsides of throwing discs in high wind even after accounting for the effects of gusts.
In the Long Ago, I got a chance to play a round with one of the local pros. I asked him how he adjusts his throw to the wind. He said he didn't. He wasn't given much to conversation, so I didn't pursue the questioning. I spent the round watching what he did.

He threw the disc flat and fairly low. I started to do the same and found my shots were much better-controlled.

He didn't try to "ride the wind" or any other such adjustment. He did aim with the wind in mind as to how it would affect his disc when it faded and the flight plate got exposed one way or the other. If the wind were right to left (RHBH), he'd aim a bit further to the right so the extra bit the disc would fade was accounted for. If it were a left to right wind, he'd aim a bit more direct at the pin because the disc would drop a bit more quickly during the fade.

I can't say that the low flights weren't an adjustment to the wind; he seemed to regularly throw lower than a lot of other players at the time, so I don't think it was. He adjusted his aim, not his throws.

I wish I'd done this before playing in an event with 55 mph+ gusts. That was painful.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-20-2020, 02:58 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 228 Times in 136 Posts

Well, pretty steady winds about 23 mph right now and it looks like Im heading out to play shortly.

Wish me luck.