Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 106
Niced 284 Times in 135 Posts

My thoughts on a smaller basket for pro tour events ONLY. For me: The goal for a smaller basket is better score separation and a natural evolution of the pro game.

My basic argument is this: The basket we have today was designed for larger discs. When Steady Ed created the original basket, the prevailing golf discs were larger in general than they are now.

This new basket maintains the same proportions, but is scaled down in the 66-75% range. The idea is it should catch really well for putts in the zone.

The only event that could really pull this off is probably USDGC right now, where they have the strong support of a manufacturer and a history of testing advancements (in the most high profile way possible).

Edit: I'm not 100% sold that we 'need' smaller baskets but I would like to see it trialed at least. I'm not willing yet to completely write it off.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2020, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,611 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post

The only event that could really pull this off is probably USDGC right now, where they have the strong support of a manufacturer and a history of testing advancements (in the most high profile way possible).
IMO pretty much any event can easily test shorter baskets. I reeeeeaaaalllly wish the premiere event in the game were not the petri dish for modifications.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-18-2020, 09:55 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 101 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
We've heard many arguments that putting is too easy for the pros so they need smaller baskets.
I have the opposite opinion. Baskets need to be LARGER. When putting is "easier", it actually favors the talented putters. The poor putters will still struggle from 30', while a larger basket would allow good putters to make them routinely from well beyond. Larger putting targets will increase scoring separation.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 131 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
We've heard many arguments that putting is too easy for the pros so they need smaller baskets.
The smaller baskets suggestion is getting ratioed 73 to 1, the "1" being the original post. Ouch!

Niced: (1)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.1
Courses Played: 390
Niced 1,967 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassila View Post
The smaller baskets suggestion is getting ratioed 73 to 1, the "1" being the original post. Ouch!
The OP wasn't really advocating for smaller baskets, just offering an idea on how to do it.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-18-2020, 11:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 104
Niced 406 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
His disc is out of the hand before lift off. What makes it look like he's still holding it, is just follow through...

Go out and try deliberately jumping, then releasing your putt.
Jumping then putting is pretty easy to do, I'm not even a pro and I can do it. If you want to see a pro jump then putt watch any video with Sarah Hokum.

As for Barsby you have to watch his left foot. While he might not be high in the air he is not being supported by the ground. He is close enough that you couldn't call it in real life.

If you watch the frame by frame you can see that his right foot comes off the ground first then his left, when the left foot comes off the ground it moves towards the left side of the screen.

He is already off the ground by this frame and his hand is still in contact with the disc-

Us disagreeing is my main problem with jump putting. You might be right or I might be right, and that is with watching it frame by frame. Making the calling in real life on the spot is even harder.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 266 Times in 151 Posts

I guess my question is what is point of the chains in relation to the bottom cage? It was always my understanding that the bottom cage was the intended target and the chains were meant to be more of a basketball backboard.

I have no issue with basket sizes but I do think the newer basket designs that suck up strong putts is a step in the wrong direction.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 96
Niced 343 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
. . . The whole driver of the issue is comparing ball golf scores to disc golf scores relative to par and trying to make disc golf score like ball golf. The thing that has been identified as a huge factor in why ball golf has higher scores is how much more difficult putting is generally in ball golf VS disc golf. All the smaller basket thing is designed to do is make scores go up.

. . .

The other "fix to something that's not broken" that comes out of this conversation is Par 2; that being the argument that some holes in disc golf are so easy for top players that they shouldn't count as a way to get under par. You can't eliminate those holes because we don't have Country Clubs (with County Club $) hosting these events and you can't redesign courses in public parks to get rid of them, so you just accept that they are too easy and call them Par 2 in order to keep the scoring down.

Or...we could just let disc golf be disc golf and quit trying to make it ball golf.
I almost completely agree with you. The exception, I would argue, is that the same inferiority complex that leads to proposed Par 2s is pretty much that same inferiority complex that leads to calling real golf "ball golf." An overall acceptance that disc golf is simply easier than golf and that the scores, relative to par, should reflect that relative ease would serve as better solution than smaller baskets or redefining par.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:41 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 101 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I reeeeeaaaalllly wish the premiere event in the game were not the petri dish for modifications.
I think many people echo this sentiment in ball golf with the US Open. But that doesn't stop the USGA from doing stupid crap every year.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 65
Niced 86 Times in 47 Posts

I never liked this argument. Imagine watching Jomez with fewer throw ins, fewer aces, fewer Slomezes. It would be like watching a round without commentary.