Old 05-18-2020, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 449 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I'd like to see a few holes (maybe 2-3 per course) have marksman style baskets, that's really all we need to change things up a bit.
I wouldn't. Simply based on the fact that all holes aren't equal. You're changing design elements by making certain holes have different rules -- the same basic principle that caused the PDGA to change the regulation about all these crazy "island hole" rules and some holes having S&D and some not.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2020, 07:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 197 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Ok, yeah that Hokum one looks pretty bad, but I still think Barsby's disc is out of his hand (he has an early release, not at full extension). I do that. I uncurl my wrist early, but the follow through could look like I'm still holding on.

Anyway, thread drift. If it's too close to call, does it really matter or give anyone an advantage? (Don't hate on all us jump putters! Some of us do it right!)
#1. It shouldn't be too close to call. If there's any doubt at all, you get a penalty stroke.
#2. How long before run-up jump putts become the norm?

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 05-18-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:17 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 826 Times in 309 Posts

What we need is worn out Mach 3s on all tourney courses. Better lob it niiiice and eeeasy.....
Old 05-18-2020, 08:21 PM

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
In basketball the size of the ball changes for different groups, also at in some divisions they use lower rims.

As for ball golf it has been around for over 500 years which has given them plenty of time to settle on the best sized hole, it took them roughly 300 years to settle on a size. Disc golf baskets have been around for less than 50 years, so we have a long time to figure out what the best basket size is.*

*Disc golf is still a new sport so now is the time to work on getting the rules, regulations, and equipment all figured out.
If using that line of thought of size of basketballs.... drivers, mids, putters all diff shape and sizes. I just don't understand the argument about the size of the baskets most of them are basically the same size just chain configuration is what changes. This is just my opinion but don't be angry if you cant put like the top pros.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 104
Niced 406 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic5888 View Post
If using that line of thought of size of basketballs.... drivers, mids, putters all diff shape and sizes. I just don't understand the argument about the size of the baskets most of them are basically the same size just chain configuration is what changes.
I used "basket size" when I should have said "disc catching apparatus size" or "target size."

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic5888 View Post
This is just my opinion but don't be angry if you cant put like the top pros.
My putting skill has nothing to do with this discussion.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 339 Times in 114 Posts

Because apparently I can't get enough of being told I'm crazy..

For the sake of argument..

Suppose Ed had designed the original basket to be what is essentially a Bullseye basket. The sport grew and spread and that type of basket was all we ever knew. Pros make say 80% inside the circle on this smallish basket.

Would anyone be arguing that putting is too hard and we should make the basket bigger?

Niced: (2)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 447
Niced 886 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
Would anyone be arguing that putting is too hard and we should make the basket bigger?
Of course we would be. 😁

Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,429 Times in 1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
Because apparently I can't get enough of being told I'm crazy..

For the sake of argument..

Suppose Ed had designed the original basket to be what is essentially a Bullseye basket. The sport grew and spread and that type of basket was all we ever knew. Pros make say 80% inside the circle on this smallish basket.

It's a fair point. (Though some might wonder whether we'd even be at this point of popularity, with smaller baskets).

But the argument for change should be compelling. To change basket size now, would mean either (1) overhauling the 100,000 or so baskets that are already out there or (2) two different standards in play, one for the top events and another for everything else. Either is problematic, so there needs to be a really good benefit to justify the effort and drawbacks.

There's no compelling reason to do either---the benefits are slight, or non-existent.

That said, one of my local courses has old baskets with narrower chains---not bullseye-narrow, but noticeably narrower than modern baskets. Personally, I like them.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 54
Niced 71 Times in 41 Posts

Some sort of cloaking device that would let you see the basket until a disc lands within circle 2.
Or hook 10,000 volts to the thing so no one is crazy enough to make the putt knowing they have to fish it out.
Or just take the top ring w/chains off leaving just the pole and basket.

I likes it likes it is! DTTFBB

Old 05-18-2020, 10:46 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 826 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Or just take the top ring w/chains off leaving just the pole and basket.
Paul had a video of him practice putting just like that.

Niced: (1)