#2291  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:33 PM
kevdiv48's Avatar
kevdiv48 kevdiv48 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,298
Niced 186 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Here's a comparison. Appears to be difference in wing mold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
Is it a sharp nose (left) or round nose (right)?

Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2292  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,566
Niced 4,817 Times in 2,022 Posts
Default

Yeah, my mild dome Roc is like the one of the right. I'll have to check my other one against that picture.
Reply With Quote
  #2293  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:54 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,669
Niced 3,323 Times in 1,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Made me wonder this also. How many different castings/molds does Innova use to make their Rocs?
At a KCWO one year I was lingering in the same general area as Dave Dunipace (OK, I was eavesdropping) and something came up about 8X vs 9X Rocs and Dunipace rattled off the different "types" of Roc they could make; it kinda reminded me of the Forrest Gump shrimp routine. Sharp nosed and blunt nosed were definitely mentioned, but so were some other things. Either I totally misunderstood what he was saying, or there are a lot of Roc mold pieces.

For safety's sake, I think we should all just assume I totally misunderstood what he was saying.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #2294  
Old 05-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,394
Niced 1,672 Times in 642 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
At a KCWO one year I was lingering in the same general area as Dave Dunipace (OK, I was eavesdropping) and something came up about 8X vs 9X Rocs and Dunipace rattled off the different "types" of Roc they could make; it kinda reminded me of the Forrest Gump shrimp routine. Sharp nosed and blunt nosed were definitely mentioned, but so were some other things. Either I totally misunderstood what he was saying, or there are a lot of Roc mold pieces.

For safety's sake, I think we should all just assume I totally misunderstood what he was saying.
I have limited experience with molding but do know there is a chance it's a 3 piece mold with the center piece (ring) being interchangeable.
Reply With Quote
  #2295  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:07 PM
wims wims is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oslo, Norway
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,244
Niced 433 Times in 234 Posts
Default

I had a sudden desire to give Rocs a shot again and I went and bought a couple. The ones I got were DX Rancho Rocs with patent numbers. Max weight. There's a shoulder, but after the shoulder the disc is pretty flat.
I was surprised how low the stability was on these. When I threw them into a moderate headwind they had a significant turn. In a tailwind they flew as I expected. No real turn, but not super overstable beasts that just wanted to dive left either. Is this stability typical for dx rancho rocs?
Reply With Quote
  #2296  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:19 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,394
Niced 1,672 Times in 642 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I had a sudden desire to give Rocs a shot again and I went and bought a couple. The ones I got were DX Rancho Rocs with patent numbers. Max weight. There's a shoulder, but after the shoulder the disc is pretty flat.
I was surprised how low the stability was on these. When I threw them into a moderate headwind they had a significant turn. In a tailwind they flew as I expected. No real turn, but not super overstable beasts that just wanted to dive left either. Is this stability typical for dx rancho rocs?
I believe that DX discs fly truer to the flight numbers than any other plastic. IMO Rocs are never a good into the wind thrower. They are not meant to be that over stable. Rancho Rocs might be an OS Roc (I use a Star/Special blend Rancho Roc) but that's compared to all other Rocs.
For throwing into the wind with a mid I would use a Gator.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #2297  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:22 PM
Innova63's Avatar
Innova63 Innova63 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South-eastern, Disconsin
Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 261
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 700
Niced 204 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I believe that DX discs fly truer to the flight numbers than any other plastic. IMO Rocs are never a good into the wind thrower. They are not meant to be that over stable. Rancho Rocs might be an OS Roc (I use a Star/Special blend Rancho Roc) but that's compared to all other Rocs.
For throwing into the wind with a mid I would use a Gator.
Have you checked out the Gila?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #2298  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM
The Albatross's Avatar
The Albatross The Albatross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,520
Niced 432 Times in 223 Posts
Default

My KC Rocs do not turn into a headwind unless I turn them myself. Though they are less resistant to oat, they have better hss than any other midrange in their class.
Reply With Quote
  #2299  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,394
Niced 1,672 Times in 642 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
Have you checked out the Gila?
Never heard of it.
Reply With Quote
 

  #2300  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Innova63's Avatar
Innova63 Innova63 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South-eastern, Disconsin
Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 261
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 700
Niced 204 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Never heard of it.
Seriously...















In case your not...


http://https://reptiliandiscgolf.com/

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TEAM INNOVA ROC..... Phantom Discs The Marketplace 5 11-12-2013 04:56 PM
Innova super roc ce? BirdmanCR Discs 23 03-27-2013 12:37 PM
Innova super roc Phantom Discs The Marketplace 5 10-01-2012 11:49 PM
Innova roc Andrew26 Discs 2 08-29-2011 04:09 PM
innova roc braxtynh The Marketplace 4 05-23-2009 02:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.