Old 05-20-2020, 12:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 409 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
And, since it's been done and demonstrated, why didn't it catch fire and spread to other events? If it's so much better, why didn't that event, or this video, inspire others to demand more bullseye tournaments?
Because it wasn't a Jomez video.

I think it would be interesting to see the response to a tournament with marksmen sized baskets filmed by Jomez with some BigSexy commentary.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-20-2020, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 80
Niced 438 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Because it wasn't a Jomez video.

I think it would be interesting to see the response to a tournament with marksmen sized baskets filmed by Jomez with some BigSexy commentary.
That would def help lol. Its a tougher watch without multiple cameras and good commentary.

Idk. I want to be impressed by a 30ft putt. Is that too much to ask?

Niced: (1)
Old 05-20-2020, 01:40 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 50
Niced 56 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I can understand personal preferences. But to change a sport at the highest level, where the big money and best players are, there will need to be some compelling arguments made for

A) How this will help the sport grow, or
B) How this will increase viewership, or
C) How this will make the best players more money, or
D) All of the above.

Just stating things like 'it would be nice to see', or 'wouldn't it be cool if...' just aren't going to convince too many people to even have the conversation.

I am open to new ideas, I am really am, but I just have yet to see the idea as anything more than a novelty or a one hole a tourney type of thing.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 7
Niced 856 Times in 453 Posts

Quote:
Its only better for the Pros t
I still haven't seen an actual answer as to why, to use your numbers, a reduction of C1 putting by 10%, is better for the pros. What would it change? Why would it be better?

Old 05-20-2020, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbuttree View Post
Ok i will see what i can come up with.

A) How this will help the sport grow,

1: imo, most players would rather play then watch. I think its partly comes down to difficulty. Alot of the holes we watch, top Ams and local pros can birdie/score well on. The difficulty that separates top pros is "consistency" not difficulty. Most local pros think they could compete against the best "if" it was a full time job for them. To even think that is crazy, i dont think we showcase the pros talents enough.
The more difficult the sport, the more average ppl are impressed, the more they want to watch...idk a thought.

B) How this will increase viewership,
2: above referenced.

C) How this will make the best players more money, or

3: above referenced as well. I think with the higher the ceiling for difficulty, the more ppl are watching, the more money comes with it.

Smaller baskets put more pressure on the tee shot and approach. 30ft putts will require ultra focus like it was a death putt.
I may be different but i like to see ppl doing things that i can only dream of. Im not saying im as good as a top pro, not even close, but i feel putting leaves alot to be desired to help separate the very top level pros from us wannabees.

These all have to be "theories" , we havent tried it yet. I think the fact that there is an argument to be made by me, and the best disc golfer of our generation (and probably more that arent hating on me in this forum) requires us to entertain the idea.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I still haven't seen an actual answer as to why, to use your numbers, a reduction of C1 putting by 10%, is better for the pros. What would it change? Why would it be better?
I said in the 90%+ , bad putts will not stick. A bad putt shouldnt stick.

Is it a better putt if you hit center chains opposed to grabbing an outer link and it catching?
My response is , yes, im mad if i get lucky.
Your response is probably "it counts the same".

We are different. I think the best players strive for perfection. They also get upset constantly with bad putts. And im sure they wished a competitors bad putt, shouldnt have got lucky, it should have missed
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,341 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Take just the top 5 at the last Worlds (the whole field is nowhere close to these stats): They're only getting to Circle 1 In Regulation about half the time. Putting C1x was 89.8%, but that's our 4 footer percentage for the PGA Tour. Making it there is where the win came from, and deservedly so (the Ultiworld article "Drive for Dough" covers this aspect of our sport. And did you read the Stork article?https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...5&postcount=32)

Circle 2 putts are where you should look to to be impressed. Top 5 were only at 34.2% (11-15 footers on the PGA Tour).

I hate the tedium of a ball golfer lining up a putt, and the closer they get, the more irritating I find it. It's just so precious, taking all that time on their 4 footers. I like the authoritative and confident putting strokes we have in disc golf. I hope we never reduce it to playing catch with a toddler.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

If your able to putt hard enough to not worry about a longer putt coming back, i see that as a imbalance of difficulty.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,341 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
If your able to putt hard enough to not worry about a longer putt coming back, i see that as a imbalance of difficulty.
That's why making the green more difficult is the answer, not making the target more flukey, robbing us of aces and dropping Circle 2 putting down to single digits for the field. (As stated in that well thought out article I linked above...)

Old 05-20-2020, 03:27 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 50
Niced 56 Times in 33 Posts

Since we don't have stats to show one way or another, I will make a couple assumptions. Lets say the 90% C1 'make' rate for pros drops to 70%. I think most will still 'go' for most of these, with few laying up unless it is really a death putt. I don't think play would be impacted that much.

It is circle 2 where play will be much more impacted. I think that 34% C2 make rate would likely drop to 15% or so. (Again, that is a guess). I think the impact that would have is a bunch of layups, to where a much higher percentage of putts that actually settle in the basket will end up being from C1X. Boring.

If there is any rollaway chance at all, I think we would all see much fewer longer putt attempts. This would decrease viewership in my opinion, not increase it.

Folks don't watch pro sports to see extra points and foul shots. They want to see long bombs, 55 yard field goal attempts, and the 3 pointer from 5' outside the line.