Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,438 Times in 713 Posts
Default the 'boutique disc' problem

For many years, I've tried to only throw easy to find, off the shelf, available at the local pro shop kind of discs. And that works really well, or at least it did for a long time.

I'm finding lately that special runs, tour series, and limited edition discs have crept back into my bag lineup, and at a level that I don't like one bit. My fav Hurricanes are Shasta tour series, my fav Undertaker is a Gannon tour series, my favorite Drone is a cryztal Z, my favorite Aftershock is a Shastashock, my fav wasp is a 2018 jawbreaker....and so it goes. In fact, half of the discs I carry in my bag right now are tour series or some sort of limited run.

I would be more than willing to bet that there are a few people on these boards like me, who typically have kept things super simple, but have fallen into the trap. It seems easy to do these days, there are *so many* 'boutique' discs out there. So many tour series, limited plastics, tournament fundraiser only (looking at you Ledgestone) discs that are being pushed out to us, the consumers.

The thing that triggered me on this post was seeing Rubber blend Matt Bell Pro Series Steadys on Sunking pre-order for $20. And that a lot of tour series discs are going for $20-25 off the shelf. I actually considered spending $100 on a set of 5 Steadys - then thought better of it, because I can get 5 nice Wizards in base plastic with stock stamps at about half of that price. Sure, this supports the players 'directly' (though no one seems to know at what level), but at what point do people stop buying these simply because there are too many out on the market? What's the saturation point? What's *your* saturation point? I think I've hit mine, and I'll be making a point once again to keep things as simple as possible.

Do you prefer wide availability, or do you favor the 'coolness' factor of the special runs and plastics? There's not really a wrong way to do it - to each their own!
Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 7
Niced 427 Times in 234 Posts

Personally I prefer stock runs. Easy to replace whenever I lose a disc and they are inexpensive as well

Old 05-21-2020, 08:01 AM

Years Playing: 0.1
Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
For many years, I've tried to only throw easy to find, off the shelf, available at the local pro shop kind of discs. And that works really well, or at least it did for a long time.

I'm finding lately that special runs, tour series, and limited edition discs have crept back into my bag lineup, and at a level that I don't like one bit. My fav Hurricanes are Shasta tour series, my fav Undertaker is a Gannon tour series, my favorite Drone is a cryztal Z, my favorite Aftershock is a Shastashock, my fav wasp is a 2018 jawbreaker....and so it goes. In fact, half of the discs I carry in my bag right now are tour series or some sort of limited run.

I would be more than willing to bet that there are a few people on these boards like me, who typically have kept things super simple, but have fallen into the trap. It seems easy to do these days, there are *so many* 'boutique' discs out there. So many tour series, limited plastics, tournament fundraiser only (looking at you Ledgestone) discs that are being pushed out to us, the consumers.

The thing that triggered me on this post was seeing Rubber blend Matt Bell Pro Series Steadys on Sunking pre-order for $20. And that a lot of tour series discs are going for $20-25 off the shelf. I actually considered spending $100 on a set of 5 Steadys - then thought better of it, because I can get 5 nice Wizards in base plastic with stock stamps at about half of that price. Sure, this supports the players 'directly' (though no one seems to know at what level), but at what point do people stop buying these simply because there are too many out on the market? What's the saturation point? What's *your* saturation point? I think I've hit mine, and I'll be making a point once again to keep things as simple as possible.

Do you prefer wide availability, or do you favor the 'coolness' factor of the special runs and plastics? There's not really a wrong way to do it - to each their own!
Oh man i totally feel you. I have been the same but my bag starts filling up with limited edition discs. The worst to say is the Echo DD3. I fell in love with it instantly, but they break in quite fast and there is none available anymore. I have a constant fear I will lose one or it will become a roller one day (one is already). I have been trying to replace them because of the availability (basically 0 available or be ready to pay +30 for a used one), but it isn't an easy task.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,813 Times in 2,021 Posts

Stock discs for me, except MJ Comets and that's more about supporting MJ than anything. Nothing wrong with stock X, Z and ESP Comets.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 264 Times in 150 Posts

I am stuck in a trap with the 1.1 run of the (S) Orion LF; my favorite disc of all time. They are increasingly hard to find but I have a stash of about 10-11 that should last me for quite some time.

The only other hard to find disc is the Cyztal FLX Zone. My buddy got me hooked on them earlier this year and I love their flight. I have about 5 backups and I'm pretty sure I could get by with a ZFLX if/when I lose all of these.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 43
Niced 79 Times in 45 Posts

For me it depends on the type of disc. I tend to lose drivers fairly often, but almost never mids and putters. For my drivers, I only throw discs that I can easily replace. For mids, I have a few OOP (ESP Hornet and DD Patrol) as well as limited run (4x Buzzz Claw), but I keep enough back ups that it should last me awhile. The main rule I made myself is to not pay over $20 for a disc. Once I can no longer find a disc/mold for less than $20, I will just switch to a different disc.

That being said, it is getting hard seeing all of these new runs come out and wanting to try them. I am really curious how the new Hades will compare to my Tern.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:42 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,322 Times in 1,197 Posts

Flip side: I had a guy ask me about big bead Aviars from the 90's, and I still have a few. I checked on the price they are going for; $30-$40 a pop. Who in the Hell is paying $40 for stock grid stamped Aviars? I realize that particular mold/plastic is OOP, but come on! So what do I do now? Do I look a guy in the eye and ask him to pay me $120 for four $7 frisbees? That's crazy.

Then I turnabout's around and look at the MJ Comets, and they are $25 now. $25! They are Z Comets, I already have a stack of them. When they were $20 it was *gulp* and bought them, but $25? I think I'm over my limit.

Disc golf is supposed to be cheap, folks. Disc golfers were cheap. Back in my day when you stopped to get pizza and some beers after a round with disc golfers, you knew the beer would be pitchers of whatever was cheapest and the pizza would be cheese since no one was willing to pay for toppings. You knew it would be like that because we were disc golfers, damn it. The "cheap" part was implied. What the Hell happened?

Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 51
Niced 413 Times in 261 Posts

I get this. For me it is Lucid X. So convenient to know you’re getting an overstable counterpart to your current disc, but 20-25 each? (I get the support the player aspect, but I honestly only get them for their flight). That and relying on a player to choose the disc for the tour series (ie Trespass or Verdict). It’s expensive and a gamble.

I kind of feel the same for niche brands. I’ll try them, but I try to fall back on “if it’s not at DGC....”

Niced: (3)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:01 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 383 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
So what do I do now? Do I look a guy in the eye and ask him to pay me $120 for four $7 frisbees?
yes. absolutely. then buy cheap beer and pizza

Niced: (2)

Old 05-21-2020, 09:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 88 Times in 55 Posts

Yup, I always wanted to stay with production discs. I fell in love with Frost/Fluid/Elasto plastic when it was production and now I can't get away from it and have to pay a premium.