Old 05-26-2020, 02:06 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,049 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb83 View Post
I'll say I'm not a fan of boutique plastic. However, certain blends feel better to me than others, and I may pay more for rarer discs.

A perfect example of this is the 1.1 SOF run, more commonly referred to as the zippertop run. When I found a used one of these, I fell in love and needed more. Luckily, these aren't too expensive yet. If they did become outrageously priced, I'd find another option as there are enough overstable control drivers on the market.

However, my biggest grip with boutique plastic is that it seems to take away from manufacturers making viable plastics. I'll give an example. I like Prodigy mids cause of their baseline plastics. However, they are doing all these spectrum runs in every conceivable plastic. When is the next run of 350g M2s coming out? Feels like I'll run through my stack before another run is made.
Yep I know the deal, plastics for 2 molds I have used for a while have disappeared for the mold, namely the Shark in Star since mid 2016 and I get that as Star Shark discs came out like F2 80% of the time so the online retailers were selling off old plastic that is running out but the XL in Z was a thing of beauty, how you wanted the OS Teebird to fly but not US Firebird type Teebird discs in flight , now just XL in Pro D, knowing that at any moment Discraft could make a limited Z run that sells out before I could get to buying the weight sets I want, 167-169 grams or 170-172 grams.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 01:47 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 50 Times in 44 Posts

If a disc feels good enough to be in my bag, I don't mind paying a premium for it along with a couple back ups. Sometimes the disc I like best is a stock run, sometimes it's a special run. Color glow champ is my favorite feeling plastic overall, but before buying any special run I like to know if it's flat, domey, or molded up in a way that makes it more or less stable than what I'm used to. I was thankfully able to pick up a couple Sky God 3s and they're exactly what I wanted. The good thing about the special runs is that, for the most part, I've been able to get my money back on the ones I didn't like. If I don't like the feel of a stock disc, I'm usually eating 40-50% of the purchase after I sell and ship it to someone else.

Niced: (1)