Old 05-26-2020, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,505 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamache8 View Post
Having one set of smaller “pro” baskets that travel on tour with the players would not be overly expensive nor time consuming. These baskets can temporarily replace the standard baskets during these big time events.

A better solution, imo, would be to place the baskets in spots that make it so players can’t park it. Make them to try and get a slightly obstructed 40 footer instead of making basket locations easily parkable. The downside to this would be less score separation. A great drive may leave a player with a 40 footer that they’ll more often miss than make. The player that throws a not as good Drive will still be able to easily lay up and get the same 3 that the player with the better drive scored
The problem is that on many of the open courses, this is simply not possible. There is a reason that USDGC has so many ropes up. They are using artificial obstructions already, but in a different form.

Take the artificial out of bounds off of idle wild and it suddenly becomes easier than some of my normal local East Tennessee hill courses.

Ropes are harder to see for the players and without graphics, many shots on video is meaningless. 3-d obstruction or a well marked (blaze orange paint) irregular green is much easier to for the spectator to 'see' the difficulty.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2020, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 112
Niced 677 Times in 318 Posts

I'm not a fan of drastic basket changes. I don't see the necessity as I, personally, find putting interesting as is. I'm also not a big fan of the look of the "cigars" at USDGC, but I do get their purpose.

If there are a few offending greens that need some tightening up with obstructions, in order to direct approaches to a more specific area than just "the circle", I get that. Maybe something like the following images could be used. They would be temporary and could be transported with the DGPT team. They wouldn't be needed at every course so hopefully the look could stay fresh and the judicious use could allow them to work nicely.

I particularly like the bamboo "cluster" more than the "wall", but both could be workable. Thoughts?

Old 05-26-2020, 03:59 PM
* Ace Member *

I think the 'bamboo' cluster would have to be tested for durability. Some fake plants are tough, some fragile. The ascetic would look good.

A pot of different width bamboo poles that us gardeners use for stakes would work if the fake plant did not. Just wrap them with some of the fake vine that Hobby Lobby carries. Those vines are cheap enough to be discarded frequently.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 27 Times in 9 Posts

I feel its down to course design. My 2 cents all the tourneys on ball golf courses is lame. If you can throw big that seems to be the answer. Yes some stupid ob comes into play. Look at Charlotte NC course, maple hill, or harmon hills. Offers tons of variety and extremely challenging. Force your big arms to shape shots better and not just throw 500 + feet to a green.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:32 AM
Par Member

Niced 97 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic5888 View Post
I feel its down to course design. My 2 cents all the tourneys on ball golf courses is lame. If you can throw big that seems to be the answer. Yes some stupid ob comes into play. Look at Charlotte NC course, maple hill, or harmon hills. Offers tons of variety and extremely challenging. Force your big arms to shape shots better and not just throw 500 + feet to a green.
I'm not averse to a player with a big arm having the opportunity to show their skills and get just desserts from perfecting their form. The issue is having every hole on a course reward that same skill.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:35 AM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Ball golf takes all day to play, mainly because it takes so long to line up and execute short putts. Ball golf is dying, because its too time consuming. Please, leave the baskets alone. I like to watch pros can 65 footers and even ace. What a bummer to prevent aces because you want to make putting more difficult. I quit Bgolf for this great disc sport, I love the quickness and informality of the pros cleaning up 10 foot putts and getting onto the next hole. Don't make Dgolf like tedious dying Bgolf.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 27 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
I'm not averse to a player with a big arm having the opportunity to show their skills and get just desserts from perfecting their form. The issue is having every hole on a course reward that same skill.
Yeah that's what I was trying to say but half asleep didn't come out correctly. Renny Gold in charlotte is a perfect example of that to me. Tight woods, long par 4s, huge elevation change, and wide open 900+ ft holes. Make it show the player with all skills in their playbook.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulelethrower View Post
Ball golf takes all day to play, mainly because it takes so long to line up and execute short putts. Ball golf is dying, because its too time consuming. Please, leave the baskets alone. I like to watch pros can 65 footers and even ace. What a bummer to prevent aces because you want to make putting more difficult. I quit Bgolf for this great disc sport, I love the quickness and informality of the pros cleaning up 10 foot putts and getting onto the next hole. Don't make Dgolf like tedious dying Bgolf.
I disagree. Golf is dying because most do not have the extra money that it requires to play. A set of clubs is more expensive than many rec disc golfers will spend on the sport(not counting food and fuel) in a lifetime.

Also, less snobs in disc golf.

Let's be honest, those of us whom have played both forms of golf are in the minority.

Could we capture some of the ex-golfers? Sure, if we had proper courses and beer/whiskey on site. Disc golf is such a weird combo of hippies and puritans.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 05-27-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:09 PM
Par Member

Niced 97 Times in 50 Posts

I rarely get to play at courses. When I do they're usually in parks that don't ensure the course is clear of the public. I would pay to play at a local course where I can expect the course to be free of hazards. The main reason for this. Time. Golf takes even longer and I just don't have the time to engage in a sport like that.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 19 Times in 10 Posts

This post reminds me of a recent and only article in Discgolfer that I have actually read. It was regarding tougher greens for spectator appeal by creating risk reward at greens. The article was enjoyably informative kinda a throwback to FDM content.

I have in the past designed holes which have obstacles in the 10 meter circle. Once considered a no-no now maybe not such a bad idea. It's really difficult to replace a mature tree close to a target!

Back to the actual post, I'm a fan of uniform targets on a course with the exception of a rare but appropriately place elevated basket.

I strongly feel the answer is to build challenge into the permanent course. Make the greens tougher!

I have a pareto approach towards course design. I put my effort towards the 360 eventless days versus the remaining event days. Personally not a fan of event driven target modifications.