Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 889 Times in 690 Posts
Default The "Thundervant"

So, what's the exact story with this disc? I came by a "Thundervant" yesterday. I thought it was basically a Thunderbird with a Savant stamp. However, the disc itself is embossed "Savant". Does Innova do embossing as the disc is made, or afterward? Is this thing actually a Savant?

The two molds are similar enough that Innova could probably get away with flipping the stamp on some without anyone noticing.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2020, 06:35 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,004 Times in 528 Posts

Allegedly after PmB switched they re-stamped them. I'm curious as well (recent Thundebird convert).
Old 05-18-2020, 06:35 PM

Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

I think the story was that they miss-printed a run of thunderbirds with savant stamps. Now it's just a running joke.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 181 Times in 76 Posts

From Innova to dealers:

"Recently, a fine batch of Thunderbirds slipped thru production with Savant stamps. But, the Thunderbird would not be denied his rightful place on his disc! In a second hot stamp strike, he sketched his way onto these discs and thus the “Thundervant” was born. These are stock quality Thunderbirds with Savant markings and a second pass stamp."

My Innova rep pretty much told me what the newsletter quote says. We stamped and embossed Thunderbirds as Savants, realized we made a mistake, then decided to have fun and overstamp them.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 121 Times in 77 Posts

It's supposed to be a Thunderbird that was embossed and stamped incorrectly as a Savant.
The tooling is not like any of my other Thunderbirds so who knows.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
It's supposed to be a Thunderbird that was embossed and stamped incorrectly as a Savant.
The tooling is not like any of my other Thunderbirds so who knows.
I'll have to grab a Thunderbird and look carefully to see if they're really the same disc. I'm not overly concerned about it, just curious.

I guess that must mean Innova embosses the discs after production rather than during. I'd assumed that the emboss was part of the mold itself.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:01 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 50 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I guess that must mean Innova embosses the discs after production rather than during. I'd assumed that the emboss was part of the mold itself.
That's what I thought as well. My initial guess was that they made a run of Savants that were so beefy they decided to call them Thunderbirds. The more discs I try, the more I feel like it doesn't matter what mold it is. It's just "what slot does this single unique disc fill in my bag," if any?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
That's what I thought as well. My initial guess was that they made a run of Savants that were so beefy they decided to call them Thunderbirds. The more discs I try, the more I feel like it doesn't matter what mold it is. It's just "what slot does this single unique disc fill in my bag," if any?
I never understood why Innova released the Savant in the first place. Its almost exactly like the Thunderbird.

Thunderbird: 9, 5, 0, 2
Savant: 9, 5, -1, 2

That's splitting hairs. Assuming the Savant flies true to the numbers it's supposed to be something like a beat Thunderbird. The Savant will never be popular. It will always live in the shadow of the Thunderbird. Just like Teedevil vs. Destroyer.

I also agree that it doesn't matter what mold a disc is. I'm just looking for a certain flight. I could replace the Thunderbird in my bag with a Getaway, Savant, or Vulture and get pretty much what I'm looking for. The Thunderbird was the first 9, 5, 0, 2 disc on the market, which is why its the most popular.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:38 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 50 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I never understood why Innova released the Savant in the first place. Its almost exactly like the Thunderbird.

Thunderbird: 9, 5, 0, 2
Savant: 9, 5, -1, 2

That's splitting hairs. Assuming the Savant flies true to the numbers it's supposed to be something like a beat Thunderbird. The Savant will never be popular. It will always live in the shadow of the Thunderbird. Just like Teedevil vs. Destroyer.

I also agree that it doesn't matter what mold a disc is. I'm just looking for a certain flight. I could replace the Thunderbird in my bag with a Getaway, Savant, or Vulture and get pretty much what I'm looking for. The Thunderbird was the first 9, 5, 0, 2 disc on the market, which is why its the most popular.
I throw the CD2 in that slot, which has the same numbers as the Savant. I don't have consistent enough power for the Thunderbird. I just carry one fresh CD2 and one that essentially flies like a Valkyrie.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:39 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 235 Times in 139 Posts

How any “unique” molds does Innova have these days? Like 600?

There’s a reason I haven’t invested much time in trying anything they put out. Not only do I have a plethora of molds to choose from but then each individual disc in each of those molds likely has it’s own individual flight characteristics.

Craziness.