Old 04-24-2019, 01:47 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,534 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I'll tell you one thing - all I want is more Jomez/CCDG quality content. If PDGA wants to funnel some membership funds into fostering more big tour events, or one big PDGA tour, if it means more Jomez post-produced BigSexy commentated style content, I'm in.

Just exactly what the hell else is the PDGA good for? What else DG-related could they do with membership fees that would better influence the trajectory of the sport? The only other thing I could think of is to lean further into services that aren't cash cows, but serve to "grow the sport™ " like youth clinics and putting in courses in parks. I would think that leaning on creating big tours would accomplish the above while also possibly making money in the short/medium.
To answer your question, why not run big event tours for all membership skill levels (like Feldberg's NexGen Tour), not just the top Pros? Those will not only more fairly distribute income and staff resources among PDGA membership but also showcase players of all skill levels to encourage participation and PDGA membership from newer players much more likely to only attain those skill levels. Players at those lower skill levels are also where more of your future TDs, volunteers, entrepreneurs and park commission members come from to keep the momentum building both the game and the sport. Wouldn't you rather have potential viewers, especially women who we haven't attracted in great numbers, saying, "I could probably learn to do that!" rather than, "Wow, no chance I could ever throw that far!". Maybe 2/3 of potential disc golfers are either women and/or older than the top players being featured on DG media.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,294 Times in 1,458 Posts

Quote:
Just exactly what the hell else is the PDGA good for? What else DG-related could they do with membership fees that would better influence the trajectory of the sport?
How about the things they're doing now, that have put the sport on its current trajectory?

The path that's led to remarkable growth at all levels....including the current pro tour and its media coverage.

Throwing money into promotion of the pros to non-disc-golfers means either taking money from current projects, or taking more money from Ams (assuming they'll pay it). With the hope---or pipe-dream---that those non-disc-golfers will come along.

Niced: (4)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 132
Niced 526 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Hey look, the thread took a turn (for the worse?). Ready for my 2c? No? Here it goes anyway.

ESPN is a dinosaur, and ESPN2, 3, whatever could be seen as grasping at relevancy. They have their online service included with cable packages, what is it, ESPN4?? But the heart of the issue here is that it's... included with cable packages. Even if you can buy it separately, like HBO Now, it's shaped by its roots.

The best quality DG media we have was born on YouTube and funded by algorithms and Patreon. Jomez and CCDG are well versed in this dynamic and will be ready to pounce when the opportunity is afforded them by Netflix or the like. Not if, when.

The path Jomez/CCDG/SBoxx are walking does not lead to the leviathan of prime time ESPN coverage, but that's a good thing. Video killed the radio star
ESPN3 is the online-only service EPSN provides, but a lot of that content is moving to their ESPN Plus platform.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 133 Times in 46 Posts

I am an ex drag racer. When drag racing started on ESPN we had between 30,000 to 50,000 fans in the stands at every event. NHRA still had pay and bring there own sponsors to get on. How many disc golf events have you seen with 30,000 people in the stands? Disc Golf is a great participant sport but is no where near ready for TV.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-24-2019, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 812 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
In my opinion, disc golf doesn't have a prayer of catching on as a spectator sport beyond the world of disc golfers. It's just not that interesting to watch.
I 100% disagree. It's ALL in the presentation. As players we don't care how it "looks" or "sounds" we just want a smooth stream and watch some disc golf. Non player fans take "good commentary", "good presentation", we need to strive to make those areas of our coverage rock solid.

Watching the GBO coverage today reminds me just how close our sport is to having something worthy of a (on tv) spectator sport. We're primarily covering just 1 card with bonus coverage being hit and miss. If we could do something to guarantee very little to no down time in player coverage, our sport would be perceived much more action packed. When the camera follows players from one hole to another, or an extended look at the commentators doing their best to fill the air, that's when the coverage takes a huge energy loss. Seems like even if they just had 2 crews covering lead and chase they should be able to flip between cards to guarantee non stop action. Sounds easy..reality being more difficult due to $ for hardware and hiring professionals.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
We don't need outside viewers... If we could just get the random people that play a couple times a month to watch, we would have plenty of views...
The sport will never be a huge money maker for pros until we get non player fans into the sport. Peeps think 100k subs is huge, or 3000 people watching a live stream is huge. In reality.. those numbers (while great for us die hard players) is miniscule compared to other sports... when it comes to attracting large sponsors.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Niced 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

People who don't disc golf aren't going to watch disc golf.
You can disagree with that all you want, but you'll still be wrong.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
with 4 hour tournaments being broadcasted live on ESPN.
This is where I think some serious mistakes in the "marketing" of disc golf has been made. Forget about 4 hour coverage for now. Let's just get a package of 1-2 hours of disc golf showcasing the last 9 holes but with multi card NON STOP coverage, professional commentary, etc, and then build on that. Again...we as players love that 4 hour coverage especially when it looks as if we're walking from hole to hole with the players because "that's what we do!" but to a non player, jeesh..that's boring as hell. Again...all in the presentation.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,294 Times in 1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorpro View Post
I am an ex drag racer. When drag racing started on ESPN we had between 30,000 to 50,000 fans in the stands at every event. NHRA still had pay and bring there own sponsors to get on. How many disc golf events have you seen with 30,000 people in the stands? Disc Golf is a great participant sport but is no where near ready for TV.
And drag racing is vastly more exciting than disc golf.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-24-2019, 03:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 866 Times in 332 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
This is where I think some serious mistakes in the "marketing" of disc golf has been made. Forget about 4 hour coverage for now. Let's just get a package of 1-2 hours of disc golf showcasing the last 9 holes but with multi card NON STOP coverage, professional commentary, etc, and then build on that. Again...we as players love that 4 hour coverage especially when it looks as if we're walking from hole to hole with the players because "that's what we do!" but to a non player, jeesh..that's boring as hell. Again...all in the presentation.
No we don't.