Old 05-19-2021, 01:34 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,478 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
I would probably argue the Pros should be less concerned. They are/should be good enough to throw about anything.
Can throw anything and make it work - Definitely

Willing to throw anything and make it work - Nope

I like the discs I throw for the plastic blend and not the molds specifically. Im not willing to throw discs from other manufacturers because of the lack of quality plastic.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2021, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,436 Times in 1,345 Posts

Is not the hole point of plastic that it is cheap and fast to make stuff of?

Just a fast look at Lat64 factory you could think that those machines could go 24/7 with minimal staff and make a crazy amount of disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkr5W90hXnQ
Old 05-19-2021, 04:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 129 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Can throw anything and make it work - Definitely

Willing to throw anything and make it work - Nope

I like the discs I throw for the plastic blend and not the molds specifically. Im not willing to throw discs from other manufacturers because of the lack of quality plastic.
That's the difference between "are less concerned" and "SHOULD be less concerned" though.

Pros are no different than amateurs in that respect, they're hard-headed and like what they know. I'm arguing the primary difference might be that the "average" player doesn't even know WHAT to replace their disc with. I have league tonight with probably 30 people, the average person there probably couldn't even tell you whether their putter was understable or overstable...all they know is "I like this one".

Contrast that with the average pro who also certainly doesn't WANT to change discs...but could probably rattle off several similar replacements to the ones they throw.

I think often we think "average" being "oh the people on DGCR"...when the average probably knows FAR less about things than we give them credit for.

I'm arguing the average pro probably says "This sucks, now I may have to go to XXX disc"...where the average player says "I don't really know what to do". Or more likely, goes to someone they know and says "They don't make this anymore, what do I do?". I think there's at least an argument to be made that the person who ends up at a total loss SHOULD care more than the person who will be annoyed but perfectly fine almost immediately. I'm equating how "harmed" someone is to how much they should care, though I agree the pro will probably be angrier/more annoyed if that's the measure you're using as a stand-in for how much they should care.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-19-2021, 04:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 603 Times in 288 Posts

I think most people are willing to wait it out a bit more for originals, but what’s really gonna fire people up is waiting and then everything sells out super fast and they’re stuck buying on the secondary market.

I know if you’re on top of things it’s possible to not miss out, but you gotta figure all the flippers will be out in full force once restocks occur. Personally I think that’s the bigger issue right now, stretching out whatever inventory they’ll be receiving as long as they can.

Restocking, selling out within minutes, and sitting out of stock for another 6-12 months will be the final straw for a lot of people.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:41 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 129 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
I think most people are willing to wait it out a bit more for originals, but what’s really gonna fire people up is waiting and then everything sells out super fast and they’re stuck buying on the secondary market.

I know if you’re on top of things it’s possible to not miss out, but you gotta figure all the flippers will be out in full force once restocks occur. Personally I think that’s the bigger issue right now, stretching out whatever inventory they’ll be receiving as long as they can.

Restocking, selling out within minutes, and sitting out of stock for another 6-12 months will be the final straw for a lot of people.
Even if you take flippers out of it...you're going to have issues. People sit around for say 12 months waiting for a release. Even if ALL you have buying are people who throw it...after having no stock for a year they're going to buy more than they would to hoard for themselves than they normally would if things were readily available all day every day.

So if you normally make 120,000 of a disc mold per year (10,000/month for a round number) and that amount perfectly satisfies annual demand...let people go without it for 12 months due to production issues and you'll sell 120,000 on the first day or two as people stock up in anticipation of more production issues. It's self-fulfilling.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,493 Times in 1,141 Posts

With my current understanding of the situation, I'd be very surprised to ever see standard stock levels of the "Originals" again. Just a guess.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-19-2021, 05:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 32
Niced 775 Times in 472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
With my current understanding of the situation, I'd be very surprised to ever see standard stock levels of the "Originals" again. Just a guess.
Which is more likely this fall?:

Available Originals or Rodgers in a Packers uniform?

Niced: (3)
Old 05-19-2021, 05:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 791 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Which is more likely this fall?:

Available Originals or Rodgers in a Packers uniform?

Ha. Is the correct answer “none of the above”?
Old 05-19-2021, 05:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,661 Times in 689 Posts

Meh. As vaccination levels rise and covid cases plummet and restrictions drop off a lot of the usual summer activities that people did are going to come back and a lot of the chuckers will be faced with a choice of continuing to play DG or going back to whatever they did for fun in summer of 2019. Some will stay, but a lot will be selling off their whole bags on eBay.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 443 Times in 230 Posts

I hate to say it but if you don't make your own discs ie Discmania, infinite, dga and millennium it's going hard for me to want to buy your discs. I can't go out on a limb and start to like a mold to come to find out it's oos for six months. I refuse to pay more than 20 bucks for a single disc so the secondary market is going be a no for me.

Niced: (3)