Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Maint. & Equipment

View Poll Results: What height for tee sings?
3 feet - low and stealthy 7 14.89%
4 feet - standing back a few feet I can read it all 19 40.43%
5 feet - almost at eye level for most 10 21.28%
6 feet - I am a giant 1 2.13%
I don't care about you, this question, or anything. 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 105
Niced 148 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Looks pretty good but 3' from the pad is way too close for a tee sign.
I have not found this to be the case at all. You do realize that is 3' from the back of the pad, right?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 204 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
I have not found this to be the case at all. You do realize that is 3' from the back of the pad, right?
Yes I do, but I believe these guys are pretty spot on with their installation guidelines (although I think a minimum of 2+ meters away from the pad is better).

http://www.discgolfpark.net/wordpres...stallation.pdf
Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 105
Niced 148 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Yes I do, but I believe these guys are pretty spot on with their installation guidelines (although I think a minimum of 2+ meters away from the pad is better).

http://www.discgolfpark.net/wordpres...stallation.pdf
Love what DGP is doing, and If installed at the front of the pad, yea for sure 1.5 or 2M should be the minimum.

I prefer the sign towards the back of the pad so it is easier to see while the player is deciding strategy for the hole. It also eliminates any possibility that the sign could effect the shot. So in this way I disagree with the DGP guidelines. I prefer the guidelines from Innova:

Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Love what DGP is doing, and If installed at the front of the pad, yea for sure 1.5 or 2M should be the minimum.

I prefer the sign towards the back of the pad so it is easier to see while the player is deciding strategy for the hole. It also eliminates any possibility that the sign could effect the shot. So in this way I disagree with the DGP guidelines. I prefer the guidelines from Innova:

I like Innova's guidelines too, both are excellent.

You may still want to consider having the sign a little further away than 3', around here the parks dept. likes to chain trash cans to the posts and they can take up most of that 3' when they get spun around towards the pad. And in the future you may have alternate basket locations which could warrant a run up from the side rather than from directly behind.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 114 Times in 59 Posts

I'm a fan of the least intrusive signs possible; the need for all the way-finding and additional info is mainly for players new to the course (and sometimes helps speed play). I do not appreciate 'advertising' on the course either. However, some type of way-finding is a requirement for any public facility.

Early in my 'career', I worked at a private country club which featured NO tee signs, distance markers or other such aids of any kind (an interesting aside, I met Michael Jordan at this course and was duly intimidated. He walked up to me from the parking lot and asked me if I thought they'd let him on). The expectation was that a bona fide member would already be familiar with the routing and distances; visitors, it was assumed, would be guided. Plus, all the basic hole information was printed on the score card, which was given to each player by the starter.

This practice brings up an under-appreciated golfing skill, that being the ability to accurately judge distances by eye/feel and frequently separates the men from the boys. Clever designers are able to deftly 'mess' with a player's perceptions of distance, which yields an enriched play experience.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 549 Times in 362 Posts

5 to 6 feet, with the pole touching the left side of the tee pad so at least RHBH's and LHFH's can take one last glance at it right before the hit.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 278
Niced 1,554 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
... with the pole touching the left side of the tee pad so at least RHBH's and LHFH's can take one last glance at it right before the hit.
Are you serious? That post isn't even funny.

Tee signs should never be close to the tee pad. I'm all for positioning them where they can been seen while on the tee pad, but at least 3 ft away. They must be far enough away that there's no conceivable way they could interfere with any players follow through: LHBH, LHFH, RHBH, RHFH, insert throwing style of your choice.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 05-25-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
5 to 6 feet, with the pole touching the left side of the tee pad so at least RHBH's and LHFH's can take one last glance at it right before the hit.
I sure hope you're joking...
Old 05-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 549 Times in 362 Posts

Well excuse the **** outta me. I hope no potential course designers take my comment seriously.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.4
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,039 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
The tee sign should have two main purposes.

1 - Navigation aid from previous hole#'s basket. Hard to see just a slab of concrete!
For me, this discounts any of the 0' options. Great if you know where you are going, but we are trying to make our courses better right?....
Agreed. In fact, I'd rank "next tee" signs higher than "tee" signs in importance.

Unless, as in this case, the client specified everything had to be mow-over-able or no course.