Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 100 Times in 52 Posts
Default Vintage Course Signage

Don't know if this example is already posted elsewhere, so here we go.

Attached is a pic of some vintage signage from the late 70's. We had signs like these at my original home course in northern Virginia. Should bring back some memories for the grey-beards.

Anyone else remember when the best disc in their bag was a Whamo-O red stamp 71 C-star?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flying-frisbees-sign.jpg (21.7 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 115
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 93 Times in 59 Posts

Pretty cool. I'm too young to have seen any of them when they were fresh, but does anyone know the history of all the signs I've seen on older courses? If I had to guess, I'd say they were from the 80's. They're white with green objects and red numbers and look like they were made by the same person or company. I feel like they're pretty widespread and thought it strange that the same type of sign be on so many different courses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disc golf tee sign.jpg (108.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by knettles; 07-26-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 109
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

That one looks a bit different, but overall similar to these sign kits from DGA.

https://www.discgolf.com/disc-golf-t...med-tee-signs/
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 115
Niced 93 Times in 59 Posts

I don't know how I've never heard of those before. And I bet those are the same ones I've seen, as I imagine DGA's been doing that for quite a while now. I actually really like the idea of the do-it-yourself decal kit. There's a nice simplicity to them that sometimes is missing from newer signs that get overpopulated with photo-realistic hole layouts.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 29.4
Courses Played: 658
Niced 768 Times in 413 Posts

The horizontal ones in post #2 were the DGA signs used for many years having done many of the decal applications myself on courses built. In post #3, DGA rotated the decal signs to vertical orientation and made them a bit smaller rectangles. Now they have a variety of signs and designs you can order.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 123
Niced 102 Times in 59 Posts

I swear those metal framed signs were on damn near every one of the California courses I played a few years back.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 273
Niced 1,375 Times in 726 Posts

I've seen a lot of signs like the one Nettles' post, compared to relatively few of the type in Kurusen's post.

As for the sign in the OP: not enough courses (particularly those that play near/over/around walking paths and other shared spaces) post signs warning other park goers that they are entering an area that's basically designated for the purpose of people throwing objects.

People don't wander aimlessly onto baseball fields or traditional golf courses, because it's obvious to them what it is, what people do there, and whether anyone's playing there at the time. That's simply not the case with disc golf.

Fairways that carve their way through walls of brush and trees often appear like inviting routes to stroll through the woods. Some notice baskets and wonder what they're for (maybe even tee signs and still not get it). The vast majority of people simply don't know what's going on there, or that people could be be throwing discs around a bend at them... because they're hidden from view in an area that the park has obviously approved for disc golf.

Multi-use parks really need to a better job of posting a few signs at key, high-traffic points of entry onto the course. Help your public be aware of their surroundings and any risks it poses to them. Doing so would also go a loonnnng way toward reinforcing and legitimizing those of us who take the time to politely explain to pedestrians, that while this is a public park, they're walking where people are supposed to be throwing objects that could hurt them.

IMHO, shame on parks for failing to do so... particularly those that specifically charge for disc golf.

/thread drift.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-26-2017 at 12:51 PM.