Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How much does putting style influence putter selection?

Using the putting terms glossary here: http://www.innovadiscs.com/faq/glossary.html

Do push putters choose certain putter types and spin putters choose other molds?

Is profile more important, plastic type or a combination?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

great question,

i love a long push putt with a JK aviar or a sss wizard.

I'll stand a bit more sideways at a longer distance with my pig.

but i'll spin putt and push with the same disc no problem

Just don't Wus or Nancy your long putts

Last edited by Huk Finn; 12-29-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Huk, and you beat me to the punch with the Ben Franklin sig
Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 40
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Spin putters need em stable, so driving putters are common. I hyzer with a magnet.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 65
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to shoe59

I do not see "spin putt" or "push putt" in that glossary...? I am also not familiar with either of those terms.

In any case, I think if you practice enough you will figure out what putting style works best for you -- and in turn which type of putter works for you. I would say profile is more important, and that plastic type doesn't matter very much at all. You want something that feels good in your hand, as to give you confidence -- if you think you're going to make it, you will and vice versa...

In first starting, I used to throw mostly "hyzer putts". I now find that anhyzer putts work better for me -- I throw RHBH, and usually start my disc's flight somewhere out to the left of the basket. At close distances (25 ft. or less) I usually try and "bullet/jam" putt, but for longer putts I generally do the anhyzer thing with some finesse on it, so I don't end up 20+ feet past the basket. I putt with a 174g Soft Magnet, and a 175g Champion Aviar on windy days. For putts over 100 ft. (if you want to call that a putt), I either turn my body 90 degreees away from the basket and use a normal motion or I face straight on and use a jump-putt.

Hope this helps, please clarify spin putts vs. push putts and I may be able to better answer your question.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe59 View Post
I do not see "spin putt" or "push putt" in that glossary...? I am also not familiar with either of those terms.

In any case, I think if you practice enough you will figure out what putting style works best for you -- and in turn which type of putter works for you. I would say profile is more important, and that plastic type doesn't matter very much at all. You want something that feels good in your hand, as to give you confidence -- if you think you're going to make it, you will and vice versa...

In first starting, I used to throw mostly "hyzer putts". I now find that anhyzer putts work better for me -- I throw RHBH, and usually start my disc's flight somewhere out to the left of the basket. At close distances (25 ft. or less) I usually try and "bullet/jam" putt, but for longer putts I generally do the anhyzer thing with some finesse on it, so I don't end up 20+ feet past the basket. I putt with a 174g Soft Magnet, and a 175g Champion Aviar on windy days. For putts over 100 ft. (if you want to call that a putt), I either turn my body 90 degreees away from the basket and use a normal motion or I face straight on and use a jump-putt.

Hope this helps, please clarify spin putts vs. push putts and I may be able to better answer your question.
Take a look at garublador's post here http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...read.php?t=676 He does a good job of describing the difference.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks chain man -- as you may have noticed I am primarly a push putter from distances over 30 ft, while I use the spin putt from close range.

You have a tricky question at hand here, and this isn't the best answer but I would say it is all preference. I still tend to think that profile is much more important than plastic type. Spin putters probably use more overstable molds like the challenger, etc., because they are a bit more predictable and won't flip over with all of that snap they put on the disc.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

In the glossary you provided "push putt" was under the heading "turbo putt". I think "turbo putt" is the most common description of this style of putt. I cannot find "spin putt" anywhere in that glossary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you when you referred to these putting styles (push/spin) you were thinking of the "DG Fundamentals" video with Climo and Feldberg. If that's the case then here's the video vs. glossary breakdown:

Video ......... Glossary
Push putt ---- Floater (aka loft putt)
Spin putt ---- Bullet or Jam
not used ---- turbo putt (aka push putt)

I hope that clarifies things somewhat.

To answer the question of whether certain putting styles are best served using certain types of putters. I think that the most important thing is comfort in the hand.

However, the harder you putt (e.g. spin/bullet putts), a more stable putter will have more consistent results.

Last edited by mdsammy; 12-30-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

right on, sammy.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I think the principle behind using more stable putters for spin/bullet putts also applies to putting in a headwind. That's why you will see a lot of people using Rhynos and Zones for headwinds.