Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 206
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 458 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
Man I don't even know what I would do if I saw that happen. There are only two courses that I can think of, maybe three where a ranger would easily be found to take care of this, but if this happened at one of the ones where the rangers are never around I just don't know what I would do. I mean yeah I would call the police, but they probably tried to take off after that happened, and then the police would never find them. I just can't believe people do things like this. Sorry for the rant, but stories like this just remind me that apparently no one teaches there kids respect or to be responsible for the things they do. I hope that the ranger really did something about this, something that teaches these kids that they can't destroy other people's property.
The sad thing is that they didn't leave. They kept playing like they'd done nothing wrong. When the ranger got to them, he made them drop their discs and come over by his car. By the time they got a free moment to retrieve their discs, they were gone. My hope is that they never replaced them and never came back.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
The sad thing is that they didn't leave. They kept playing like they'd done nothing wrong. When the ranger got to them, he made them drop their discs and come over by his car. By the time they got a free moment to retrieve their discs, they were gone. My hope is that they never replaced them and never came back.
Wow, at least there was a consequence for them.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I haven't on a disc thief, but I did flag down a Park Ranger when some punk kids started shaking a basket out of frustration, snapped the pole, and left it on the ground. Sure the pole was rusty in order to break, but it wasn't broken accidentally.
i confronted a guy for letting his kid twist the top of the basket and pull and swing on it , i did it nicely by telling him what is was for but still i dont think i needed to be nice cause even if he didnt know what it was he knew it wasnt playground equipment which they have plenty of at the park .
Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 194
Niced 44 Times in 28 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

An unrelated note really, but still one of the most disrespectful things I have seen. My friend was playing at Griggs Reservoir last week and a lady was walking her dog down the path. When the lady and the dog get to hole #8 the dogs does a number 2 right in the middle of the fairway, the lady just starts to walk away. My friend said something to her. He informed her that there are a lot of people that play disc golf and use the park and it is rude not to clean up after your pet. She just huffed and puffed a little and walked away, not cleaning up the mess. If this is continues to happen I think we will also see a rise in courses that don't allow dogs. I don't know about everyone else, but I like to take my dog to the course and I don't appreciate other people, esp non dg-ers fouling it up for the rest of us.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 828
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
An unrelated note really, but still one of the most disrespectful things I have seen. My friend was playing at Griggs Reservoir last week and a lady was walking her dog down the path. When the lady and the dog get to hole #8 the dogs does a number 2 right in the middle of the fairway, the lady just starts to walk away. My friend said something to her. He informed her that there are a lot of people that play disc golf and use the park and it is rude not to clean up after your pet. She just huffed and puffed a little and walked away, not cleaning up the mess. If this is continues to happen I think we will also see a rise in courses that don't allow dogs. I don't know about everyone else, but I like to take my dog to the course and I don't appreciate other people, esp non dg-ers fouling it up for the rest of us.
I definitely think a lot of the littering and vandalism issues at a lot of courses come from non-dgers, and it's a real shame when that type of issue impacts the course and the people who play it.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 194
Niced 44 Times in 28 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I definitely think a lot of the littering and vandalism issues at a lot of courses come from non-dgers, and it's a real shame when that type of issue impacts the course and the people who play it.
Yeah I have noticed that a lot of people who don't play or people who have never heard of it, laugh when I tell them about it. Like it is just some childs game or something. A lot of these people are probably the ones letting there kids hang from the baskets, and those people who use the basket as targets for glass bottles. It all just goes back to respect, or lack there of.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Man I don't even know what I would do if I saw that happen. There are only two courses that I can think of, maybe three where a ranger would easily be found to take care of this, but if this happened at one of the ones where the rangers are never around I just don't know what I would do. I mean yeah I would call the police, but they probably tried to take off after that happened, and then the police would never find them. I just can't believe people do things like this. Sorry for the rant, but stories like this just remind me that apparently no one teaches there kids respect or to be responsible for the things they do. I hope that the ranger really did something about this, something that teaches these kids that they can't destroy other people's property.
We can't just say it is always punk kids though. I have seen just as many older players disrespecting the course. I haven't seen anyone steal discs from the course, but a friend of mine had her purse stolen in a elementary school parking lot by some random older guy that saw it on the seat and decided to break the window open. I agree that there are a lot of little bastards running around the courses, just wanted to point out that it is not only kids doing it, a-holes come in all shapes sizes and ages
Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krallbd View Post
We can't just say it is always punk kids though. I have seen just as many older players disrespecting the course. I haven't seen anyone steal discs from the course, but a friend of mine had her purse stolen in a elementary school parking lot by some random older guy that saw it on the seat and decided to break the window open. I agree that there are a lot of little bastards running around the courses, just wanted to point out that it is not only kids doing it, a-holes come in all shapes sizes and ages
Very true. I'd say most of the time when I've witnessed someone breaking down a sapling or breaking off a branch it was an (ahem) adult. In our town breaking a limb or tree can result in a $1,500 fine so I usually just mention casually, "I hope getting a little cleaner shot is worth fifteen hundred bucks." I also get the impression that most don't see anything wrong with this sort of behavior.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 28
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Disc grabbers are going to hell.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd rather let my friend tell it but I'll say this......He momentarily had his disc stolen at Rum Village in South Bend and a knife was involved.