Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,047 Times in 319 Posts
Default Let's Discuss Disc Golf Podcasts

Hey DGCR!

I'm looking for some feedback on the current state of disc golf podcasts...for no reason at all whatsoever...I'm definitely not doing market research and planning. Definitely not.

Some questions to help kick things off, feel free to answer any or all of them, or just give in general comments:

- Do you listen to disc golf podcasts? How often? If not, what's missing for you?

- What length/publishing frequency do you like in (any) podcasts?

- What do current disc golf podcasts do well in terms of format or content? Not so well?

- What kinds of topics do you/would you like to hear discussed?

- If a company or brand supports a podcast with giveaways and/or by buying ad slots, does that affect your opinion of that company/brand?

- Complete this sentence from your point of view: If I were to start listening to a new podcast, I would hope to hear/learn about _______________.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 204 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Some questions to help kick things off, feel free to answer any or all of them, or just give in general comments:
Since you asked...

Quote:
- Do you listen to disc golf podcasts? How often? If not, what's missing for you?
Yes, weekly, NA.

Quote:
Weekly for continuity, less if you're just filling air time.

Quote:
- What do current disc golf podcasts do well in terms of format or content? Not so well?
Most of the majors do quite well, problem is budgeting my limited amount of time. I get maybe 3-4 hrs/wk, spread between podcasts, so I either look for interesting stuff or just fallback on reliable entertainment.

Quote:
Whatever is relevant at the time of broadcast. Sorry for being vague.

Quote:
- If a company or brand supports a podcast with giveaways and/or by buying ad slots, does that affect your opinion of that company/brand?
Not really. I appreciate the sponsors and all that they do, but I buy what I like.

Quote:
- Complete this sentence from your point of view: If I were to start listening to a new podcast, I would hope to hear/learn about _______________.
To reiterate, whatever is relevant at the time of broadcast.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 136 Times in 67 Posts

Ok, here you go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Hey DGCR!

I'm looking for some feedback on the current state of disc golf podcasts...for no reason at all whatsoever...I'm definitely not doing market research and planning. Definitely not.

Yes. Maybe once a week.

An hour or less, once a week is plenty.

Up to date info for a sport with few outlets for such things. To much time wasting babble on one that I can think of.

I like to hear the recaps of the weekends tournaments. I'd like to hear more about how the business side of things is really run, such as the terms of sponsorships, marketing trends and the like.

I'd rather they not be involved, really. But if they can make a few bucks off it, they should probably go for it.

How the business of disc golf really works.

Thanks in advance!
You're welcome.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 522 Times in 203 Posts

I have never listened to a podcast. If I do, I doubt it will be about disc golf.

That's all I got.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 110 Times in 58 Posts

I currently listen to DGAM and The Upshot. I used to listen to Final Round Radio, but they were too rambling for me.

I listen to DGAM for the technique and disc advice. They do a good job with a conversational style without spinning into nonsense.

I listen to The Upshot because it is professional. They do a great job recapping the pro scene, reporting, and offering opinions in a thoughtful way.

I think weekly is best. I agree with the above comment about the business of disc golf. I'd love to hear more about that. But I don't think that can be weekly. More insight into the lives of touring professionals would be great, and might be good on that schedule.

I don't care about giveaways or ad slots.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:38 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 143
Niced 1,120 Times in 450 Posts

I guess what keeps me from listening is length. It seems like they are usually and hourish? Yeah, I'm not listening for an hour. When there is something I want to hear about, I skip through the recording until I find where they talk about that thing, then turn it off. I'd like it if they took the same podcast they are making, cut it up in shorter sections and release them over several days.

The topics I tend to listen to are equipment-type things, although if something ridiculous like the American Disc Golf Open happens again my podcast listening will increase. Listening to people dance around that one was a hoot! I think I'm in the minority, though. I think most people who want to listen to a podcast are more pulled into the human story of who shot what where i.e. stories from tournaments.

I would assume companies would get involved with popular podcasts. Smart business dictates it. I'm not sure I would notice it or that it would change anything about what I thought of that brand, though.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 197
Niced 279 Times in 150 Posts

No, not usually. Barely ever. Substance. When I do listen, it feels like dg podcasts ramble on about nothing or nothing I that interests me. I care very little about the tournament content, pro gossip, or rule disputes.

Product Development. I remember listening to episode 7 of the disc golf examiner (had to google it) and enjoying it.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 AM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I listen to disc golf podcasts frequently. I always listen to the Upshot, generally listen to Disc Golf Answer Man, and occasionally listen to Smashboxx. I used to listen to Final Round Radio, but not so much anymore.

With so many podcasts to choose from, weekly shows from multiple sources gives me more than enough to listen to. As long as they each have something different to offer.

The Upshot is the most professional. I appreciate their magazine style. DGAM is fun, definitely light-hearted. I thought "In the Circle" was very interesting, but I haven't followed Dixon to his "Top of the Box" show. Smashboxx has great guests, and I like Dana, but it is just too long. Great for a long car ride, though!

I like listening to tournament coverage, interviews with the pros, TDs, PDGA officers. People who can offer more insight than the normal league night banter.

If a company wants to give stuff away, that's great! I like free stuff!

If I were to start listening to a new podcast, I would hope to hear/learn about tournaments from the players/TDs perspective.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:38 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 205
Niced 119 Times in 42 Posts

I regularly listen to the Upshot. It is succinct, hits on the big topics with reasonably insightful analysis, and has some continuing themes. If there's a weakness, it's that neither commentator has high-level playing experience.

I have dabbled in:
Final Round Radio: NC is preferable to TX. Seems far less researched than Upshot, and relies too much on mid-level players' experience.
The Disc Golf Podcast: Way too long for the substance.
Disc Golf Examiner: They haven't put anything out in a couple months except on YouTube. The format was interesting because of the focus on less-considered interview subjects.
Smashboxx: Long ago I quit listening to two hours of lame jokes and transitions between choppy feeds. There are better ways to spend two hours a week, most of them sleeping.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 161
Niced 1,059 Times in 664 Posts

I do not and I never will. And I am in disbelief anytime I hear others playing it. I will purposely not card up with anyone listening to a DG podcast.