Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,749 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Agree with this on both fronts: for the most part, courses are either "park style" or a bit more rugged, state park type of course, with more punishing rough, often with a more championship and or epic feel to them... and the game can feel very different depending which you're playing.

And WW is probably the best park style course I've played so far.

I've generally prefered the more state park type courses, but I'm beginning to really appreciate courses that don't rip you a new one for barely missing the fairway on tee shots... guess I'm mellowing with time.
Ah, I give up. I'm officially old. Waterworks gives an old man all he needs. I'm picking that one. 20 years ago the answer would have been different, but 20 years ago none of the discs in my back were ruptured.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 106
Niced 102 Times in 65 Posts

It would be a tough choice. For me, to play everyday: variety (both types of holes and left/right); not too short, but can be played in an hour to hour and a half (so not too grueling for everyday, and not too much time, but enough to be worthwhile); not much chance of losing discs (manageable rough, grass not very long, probably no water, etc.); relatively clean and kept up; not too busy; no poison oak or ivy; adequate access and facilities; a balance of challenge and fun (not that challenge isn't part of the fun). All of that helps narrow it down...

I think my choices would be, in order:
1. Prospect Park is a fun, varied course.
2. Swope Park Can be played in an hour, yet is challenging, but can be busy.
3. University of OB A bit long, but fun and challenging...and you can see Mt Shasta.
4. Legion Park has some avoidable water, and at least one hole with tough rough (Hole 7? a blind throw over the rough), but is fun, varied, and challenging.

I could see Waterworks being viable, also.

If RIP'd courses are fair game, the old layout of Turkey Creek would take second place (maybe 1st) and bump the others down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl724 View Post
3. Waterworks - Just a purely fun course, while still being demanding. One of my favorite settings to play in is large rolling hills littered with trees. I could throw drives on hole 1 all day long.
A lot of the day would probably be spent finding the discs. Hole 1 can be tough what with going out of sight a lot of times, and a decent chance of rollaways.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Rollin' Ridge, and it's not even close. 3 tees/baskets on nearly every hole. The only thing I'd really miss is a TOTW shot...but then I'd just drink at the onsite bar and forget that.

Yeah really. Think about playing random combos- you could make a dice game or something that picks them. orange tee to red basket, then black to red, then black to black, then red to orange, then...

It would take a lifetime to dial in your course average
Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 542
Niced 755 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Roy View Post
Yeah really. Think about playing random combos- you could make a dice game or something that picks them. orange tee to red basket, then black to red, then black to black, then red to orange, then...

It would take a lifetime to dial in your course average
We already do that for some rounds. Flip a red, orange and black disc for the tee, and again for the basket.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:17 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,354 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Agree with this on both fronts: for the most part, courses are either "park style" or a bit more rugged, state park type of course, with more punishing rough, often with a more championship and or epic feel to them... and the game can feel very different depending which you're playing.

And WW is probably the best park style course I've played so far.

I've generally prefered the more state park type courses, but I'm beginning to really appreciate courses that don't rip you a new one for barely missing the fairway on tee shots... guess I'm mellowing with time.
I've been trying to think of a good word for these state park type of courses for years to no avail.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.7
Courses Played: 361
Niced 105 Times in 54 Posts

Flip or Warwick, I can't pick just one.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 161
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

Lastly the rubber tees perform very well and wear down shoes much slower than typical tees.

If it is one property, I would choose Renaissance Park in Charlotte.
Actually the blue and gold tees at Moraine are now concrete, they redid them for worlds. The white tees are the only rubber tees there now.

I was thinking only one course, but it seems like the Renny are so closely linked that it doesn't seem too far off from a Rollin Ridge type layout.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 159
Niced 461 Times in 200 Posts

I would pick Mountain Lake in Pembroke, VA. It's not the "best course" or the most fun. Honestly it kicked my butt. But the first time I played there, I had to drive up through the clouds, had the mountain to myself, threw in the fog all morning. It was such a magical day that I drove 5 hours each way the next weekend just play it again.
I have played several course I would consider better, but none so special. Plus I really like having a course to myself.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 41.7
Courses Played: 150
Niced 69 Times in 37 Posts

This is like trying to pick my favorite Beatles song of all time. Today I'm going with Dexter, OR/I Am The Walrus. I really love it down there, Tomorrow it could be Sheltom/Eight Days A Week, Stafford Lake/Helter Skelter or Whistler's Bend/A Hard Days Night.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-29-2017, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 122
Niced 567 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl724 View Post
Actually the blue and gold tees at Moraine are now concrete, they redid them for worlds. The white tees are the only rubber tees there now.

I was thinking only one course, but it seems like the Renny are so closely linked that it doesn't seem too far off from a Rollin Ridge type layout.
Oh I hadn't heard, thanks for the info. Been four of five years since I've played Moraine....plan to change that sometime this year.

Pretty sure last time I was out there MVP had little else on the market besides Ions, Vector, Axis, and Volt. Pretty interested to see how it's changed, and how differently I approach the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I would pick Mountain Lake in Pembroke, VA. It's not the "best course" or the most fun. Honestly it kicked my butt. But the first time I played there, I had to drive up through the clouds, had the mountain to myself, threw in the fog all morning. It was such a magical day that I drove 5 hours each way the next weekend just play it again.
I have played several course I would consider better, but none so special. Plus I really like having a course to myself.
I've been hearing really good things about Mountain Lake. I think that's going to be my next course I go far out of my way to visit. Probably will do Primland on the way back home.