Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 455 Times in 279 Posts

I must have way better luck in Waves than everyone else. Every Plasma Wave I've had has thrown basically the same, and I've owned 4 or 5 of them. I don't like the mold in the other plastic types (neutron & proton), because they fly a lot worse for me and they mold up way too flat for an US disc. But a Wave in Plasma plastic is just perfect for my flippy driver slot.

Now as for trying to pair it with other gyro molds, that is a lost cause. The other drivers in that class fly way more OS and they don't glide well for me. If you're looking to pair it with a driver of similar feel, I think you're better off going Wraith/Trespass/Plasma Wave rather than trying to use the other MVP and Axiom molds in the same speed class. I had a season of trial and error with gyro, but only their throwing putters and the Wave stayed in my bag.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 41 Times in 35 Posts

Only thing to consider with the Tern is that the rim is really wide at 2.3 cm. Same as a Shryke and slightly wider than a Destroyer (2.2). I prefer the Pro Wraith for this reason, but I do have small hands.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:40 PM

Niced 10 Times in 6 Posts

As a noodle armed person, increased speed does help if it's understable enough. I can get a Heat or Sidewinder out to 300 or so on a good throw. However, I can get a Shryke or Tern 300+ on an average throw and closer to 350 on a good one. So if I need to get 310 or so I have a much better chance with a faster disc.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I hate when the OP never follows up, so here you go

The MVP Wave is Plasma plastic is now beating a hyzer flipped Z FLX Discraft Heat, but only by about 10 feet on average. The Heat has so much glide! A Champion Innova Tern is not quite getting there yet, but might when it loses a touch more over stability for my arm speed, or when my arm speed improves.

Thanks for the help!

Niced: (1)
Old 12-01-2019, 01:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 271 Times in 175 Posts

For my average arm, having worked with and compared many fairway and distance drivers in the field, the disc I can get the most distance out of consistently is the Wraith. For me it hits the sweet spot of speed and control. I will occasionally throw something faster farther, but can't do it on a consistent basis.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todvan View Post
Disc flight theory question:

Given that both discs are thrown correctly with proper nose angle at a medium power.

What flies further:

A stable disc but slower disc (say speed 7, turn 0) that gets up to proper flying speed with medium power.

-or-

An under stable but faster disc (say speed 11, turn -2) that may not be at full speed so it has just a bit of flip, but mostly goes straight at the same power.

Example: Teebird at proper speed vs Beast slightly underpowered. Just curious. Right now speed 9 is about my power level, but wondering if an under stable speed 11 or 12 would give me mor distance....thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by todvan View Post
I hate when the OP never follows up, so here you go

The MVP Wave is Plasma plastic is now beating a hyzer flipped Z FLX Discraft Heat, but only by about 10 feet on average. The Heat has so much glide! A Champion Innova Tern is not quite getting there yet, but might when it loses a touch more over stability for my arm speed, or when my arm speed improves.

Thanks for the help!
I took a quick skim through the thread. We don't really know how far you throw or even what you throw. "Average arm" means a lot of different things. For distance, does that mean 280'? 300'? 350'? That might be less pertinent than how you get your distance, e.g. are you strong-arming and throwing with pretty good form.

That said, I agree with a lot of what's being said. Personally, I put a lot of stock in disc speed, and think my max ideal disc speed for my backhand arm speed is around 10. Nevertheless, for max D you are right, a higher speed disc will get you some extra D. For me, that disc is a Champ Tern. It maintains just enough high speed stability that I can consistently hyzer flip it without flipping it over. The downside, of course, is control. On tighter courses or those with a lot of OB, I'll usually use a Leopard3 for similar shots. In an open field, the Tern will get me 30-50 extra feet, but it just ain't worth it in some conditions.

And I've also had plenty of times where I've out-thrown a Beast or Tern type disc with a Teebird. Working on form and mastering nose angles and release points is more important than picking the disc. Also, when control matters, don't underestimate the power of picking a disc that works well with 80% power. A Pro Leopard is one that I love for those 80% technical distance shots.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:18 PM

Niced 52 Times in 16 Posts

Shryke, Thrasher and King are excellent high speed drivers for those of us who rarely throw 350'. I would add a Lat64 Goldline Sword as well; for me, once beat in it behaves like a much faster S-line FD.
I tend to throw discs too low so I have been throwing more 7 speed discs in an effort to learn to get more air under the disc. I have been hyzer flipping a Maul with great control for surprising distance.

Last edited by Rumpled; 12-02-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarity