Old 04-05-2018, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,359 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
On the golf lines you mentioned, in a controlled manner, pushing 300 with a star teeb, 300+ with a DX teeb. Terns net me an extra 30-50ft in this manner. I do not threaten 400' at this time.

Speed 9s go 20-30ft farther than teebs.
Cool, then I would look at the Valk/Sidewinder type discs. I would probably start with a Star Sidewinder and Champ Valk, with the caveat that I haven't thrown a fresh off the shelf Champ Valk for some time.

What I'm getting at though is the Sidewinder should give you anywhere from a -1/2 flight to start and break in from there, to a -2/1 flight when fresh depending on the disc. Champ Sidewinders may start off closer to the -1/2 and be surprisingly stable, which is why I would start with star. They go very far, I definitely recommend the Sidewinder. The Valk I would hope to be more in the -1/2 that you can shape smooth hyzers and even tighter flex distance lines with, but again I'd need confirmation on how stable fresh champ or star Valks are now. You could maybe do an Escape for this slot as well.

If you want a turnover distance shot then Gstar Sidewinders can be extremely fun and long too. I'm at altitude but I throw farther, and they can handle my shots fine so I'd think in your expected distance range they should still be great as well. As long as you like Gstar.

Roadrunners are also very fun to throw. Really there can be overlap between Sidewinder/Roadrunner/Valk depending on the plastic and specific disc. Roadrunners do feel a little different because of the convex lower rim.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 200 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
The Valk I would hope to be more in the -1/2 that you can shape smooth hyzers and even tighter flex distance lines with, but again I'd need confirmation on how stable fresh champ or star Valks are now.
The fresh Champ Valkyrie I got most recently started out like this.

I'd also recommend a Pro Thunderbird. Great thrower, good distance and control. You can even cycle through them (they break in quickly and nicely) and carry a Champ Thunderbird as a bookend.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 394 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Cool, then I would look at the Valk/Sidewinder type discs. I would probably start with a Star Sidewinder and Champ Valk, with the caveat that I haven't thrown a fresh off the shelf Champ Valk for some time.

What I'm getting at though is the Sidewinder should give you anywhere from a -1/2 flight to start and break in from there, to a -2/1 flight when fresh depending on the disc. Champ Sidewinders may start off closer to the -1/2 and be surprisingly stable, which is why I would start with star. They go very far, I definitely recommend the Sidewinder. The Valk I would hope to be more in the -1/2 that you can shape smooth hyzers and even tighter flex distance lines with, but again I'd need confirmation on how stable fresh champ or star Valks are now. You could maybe do an Escape for this slot as well.

If you want a turnover distance shot then Gstar Sidewinders can be extremely fun and long too. I'm at altitude but I throw farther, and they can handle my shots fine so I'd think in your expected distance range they should still be great as well. As long as you like Gstar.

Roadrunners are also very fun to throw. Really there can be overlap between Sidewinder/Roadrunner/Valk depending on the plastic and specific disc. Roadrunners do feel a little different because of the convex lower rim.
Another bonus is when you get better the Roadrunner can be used for a end of flight Roller disc when you throw it hard enough. Stay away from Star Lite or you will have a roller only disc as they are 150 class and lighter.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 6
Niced 163 Times in 90 Posts

If you're willing to branch out a bit, a MVP Volt is a fantastic 8/9ish speed disc. I have a 157 fission and a max weight neutron. Lasers with nice fade. The light weight fis reallllly bombs.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 228 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
The fresh Champ Valkyrie I got most recently started out like this.

I'd also recommend a Pro Thunderbird. Great thrower, good distance and control. You can even cycle through them (they break in quickly and nicely) and carry a Champ Thunderbird as a bookend.
What has been your experience if any with the life cycle of DX thunderbirds? I would hope that the wing of the thunderbird would hold up to tree hits almost as well as that of the DX teebird - that is to say, not perfectly, but decent enough to get a consistent cycle going. Could throw in some pros at the top of the cycle when DX covers the spectrum.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 307 Times in 250 Posts

If I were you I'd disc down EXCEPT for Terns. Keep a couple of them in your bag. There really isn't any disc speed 11 or below that will fly as far as a Tern.

The Witness is a poor choice. Its wildly understable and slow. I've thrown them out to 400', but its just not a very good distance driver for big rips. Too flippy.

Valks and Sidewinders are acceptable distance drivers, but you still won't sniff the distance with them that you would with a Tern. A Thrasher would work fine, but might be a bit too stable for you. Thrashers will go well over 400' on big rips.... but they take a lot of arm for that to happen. If you say a Wraith is too much disc, the Thrasher would be too.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 228 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
If I were you I'd disc down EXCEPT for Terns. Keep a couple of them in your bag. There really isn't any disc speed 11 or below that will fly as far as a Tern.

The Witness is a poor choice. Its wildly understable and slow. I've thrown them out to 400', but its just not a very good distance driver for big rips. Too flippy.

Valks and Sidewinders are acceptable distance drivers, but you still won't sniff the distance with them that you would with a Tern. A Thrasher would work fine, but might be a bit too stable for you. Thrashers will go well over 400' on big rips.... but they take a lot of arm for that to happen. If you say a Wraith is too much disc, the Thrasher would be too.
Will consider bringing a champ tern and maybe a GStar out when appropriate, thanks. Can't say enough good things about the mold.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 307 Times in 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Just a few ideas:

Falchion, speed 9: tons of glide, good distance. Very much like a stable Champ Sidewinder.

Star Sidewinder, speed 9: this is what the Valkyrie wishes it was in terms of better glide.

AvengerSS, speed 9-10: understable, good distance, comfortable in the hand. I have this in Ti and Z plastics; Ti a bit more stable than Z.

Mamba, speed 11: Innova's contribution to understability. Goes far when thrown properly.

The Mamba is often overlooked. I can't exactly call it a straight or controlled driver, but its exceptionally glidey and long. If you're looking to throw a Mamba far you'll need to hyzerflip it and practice. They can be very, very long discs if you hit them just right. Huge flex shots come fairly easily.

The Mamba is by far Innova's longest speed 11 or below disc. Again, I can't call it controlled distance. If you throw a Mamba poorly it might leave the zip code and be 900' right of your intended target.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 18 Times in 12 Posts

I agree with those that said Valks. Also, the Lat64 River, at speed 7 and 7 glide has a really far straight flight.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 394 Times in 334 Posts

Another good disc is the Express, only sold in Z now and X is hard to find and was slightly understable compared to the neutral flight of the Z and the oop ESP model. Also Heat is not a bad disc it flies from what I have seen like a Roadrunner fly.