Old 04-06-2018, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 367 Times in 252 Posts

No love for the CD2? That is a FANTASTIC disc. Slight turn, some fade, but not too strong, easy glide and great controlled straight shots. I bagged a lot of CD2s for a very long time. As I tried to minimize molds, I ended up switching to seasoned PDs and Thunderbirds instead of having CD2s in the mix as well. However, the CD2 is one of the best 9-10 speeds in my opinion.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-06-2018, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,354 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
No love for the CD2? That is a FANTASTIC disc. Slight turn, some fade, but not too strong, easy glide and great controlled straight shots. I bagged a lot of CD2s for a very long time. As I tried to minimize molds, I ended up switching to seasoned PDs and Thunderbirds instead of having CD2s in the mix as well. However, the CD2 is one of the best 9-10 speeds in my opinion.
I always forget about those. They are easy enough to throw but still predictable and stable. If you have a normal arm speed but want the shape of flight that McBeth gets out of this Thunderbirds with that bit of ride and predictable controlled finish, CD2 is a great choice.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 305 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
And the Champs are nowhere near -5.
I agree. I can actually rip a Mamba hard without it flipping all the way over. The late fade saves it.

I have a max weight star Mamba that is more like -3 high speed turn. Hyzerflip bombs.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 529 Times in 378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I have a max weight star Mamba that is more like -3 high speed turn. Hyzerflip bombs.
I need one of those.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

So, of all these mentioned, what do you guys use for max distance down wind? My search continues. I'm convinced I need a slower disc for this, but can settle on anything. I recently bought a lightweight Mamba and Vanish, but neither is really standing out.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 200 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
So, of all these mentioned, what do you guys use for max distance down wind? My search continues. I'm convinced I need a slower disc for this, but can settle on anything. I recently bought a lightweight Mamba and Vanish, but neither is really standing out.
Which of the slower discs have you tried?

Depending on the situation, I use either a Valkyrie, a beat Thunderbird, or a Leopard3.

My understanding is tailwinds need some combination of discing down and understability; opposite of headwinds. Is that correct?

Sidewinder/Roadrunner seem like they would be up for it.

EDIT: thinking of my Trilogy bag, I have had good results with a King. I just ignore the numbers on that disc.

Last edited by SaROCaM; 04-06-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post

Depending on the situation, I use either a Valkyrie, a beat Thunderbird, or a Leopard3.

My understanding is tailwinds need some combination of discing down and understability; opposite of headwinds. Is that correct?

Falchion, Breakout, Underworld mostly. I am curious about maybe a Dx Valk. I have a Sidewinder, but it's champ and really not that understable. Glides like crazy though. May work with a tiny bit of anny in the strong down winds that give me so much trouble.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,354 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post

Yeah pretty much. In mild tailwinds you can just go down in stability, like I'll throw a flippy Trespass instead of a Destroyer. If it's moderate then going to the speed 7-9 understable is great...just throw your neutral fairway driver. A Sidewinder or Roadrunner on a moderately high hyzer flip to turnover should be ideal. When it's a ripping tailwind I'll even throw a Comet, at the wind speed that my fairways get knocked down early.

I wouldn't carry a "tailwind driver" that you don't use normally unless I played somewhere where it was always windy...I just adjust for one of my normal discs to take care of it. If I was going to select something I don't bag for that shot, then likely it would be a SW or RR. It really depends on your arm speed and how much wind, you still have to be able to throw the disc hard enough that when you subtract the wind speed, it's still at a good cruising speed...ballpark estimates of course. If you throw 60MPH and there's a 10MPH tailwind...would that disc still glide on a 50MPH throw or will it dump?

Niced: (1)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 797 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:
Falchion, Breakout, Underworld mostly. I am curious about maybe a Dx Valk. I have a Sidewinder, but it's champ and really not that understable. Glides like crazy though. May work with a tiny bit of anny in the strong down winds that give me so much trouble.
DX Valk is definitely worth a look for that.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post

I wouldn't carry a "tailwind driver" that you don't use normally unless I played somewhere where it was always windy...I just adjust for one of my normal discs to take care of it.
Our courses have lots of max distance downwind holes.